Fishing Rights - Ships Nostalgia
03:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fishing Rights

User Tag List

Old 29th August 2018, 18:18
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - 2000

Fishing Rights

There has recently been protests about British & French fishing rights. Fishing boats have been reported ramming each other

Obviously, in French territorial waters, the French have free reign to fish; likewise, in British territorial waters, the British have free reign to fish

The issue has been about scallops

French & British fishermen have been reported as fishing in the others territorial waters

So is it the case countries are only allowed to fish in their respective territorial waters?

I'm assuming, that past the territorial waters limit (five miles believe?) is a free for all

I wonder how fishermen on SN feel about the situation?

I'm surprised no one else has posted on SN about this issue
Old 29th August 2018, 18:32
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Legally the French have a moratorium on Summer fishing for scallops for stock preservation.....this does not apply to UK 'dredgers'. However, we only take about 4% of yield,the French have the balance,
Meetings in Paris tomorrow.

geoff
Old 29th August 2018, 18:57
Active: 1981 - 2000

Thanks Geoff
Old 29th August 2018, 19:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Just watched on the news. Regardless of who is in the right. The French response of ramming British vessels is abhorrent and a disgrace . there can be no justification for it. The French navy stood by and watched ! Lets send in our navy to protect our fishermen !
Old 29th August 2018, 19:53

The more I watch. the more I get annoyed ! The British fishermen were there Legally. The French actions using larger boats to ram the smaller British boats is attempted murder in my book ! So the French skipper should be arrested for it ! and the skipper of the French navy boat, should also be arrested for aiding and abetting this ! What happened to the sanctity of life at sea ? does this not apply to the French ? I welcome any response from our French members !
Old 29th August 2018, 20:07
Active: 1970 - 1987

This is a re-run of what was going on in the 1980's between French and British crab fishermen. Boats were regularly returning to Dartmouth and Brixham with broken wheelhouse windows.
Old 29th August 2018, 20:40

On the BBC news at 6pm the large blue fishing boat ramming a small French boat had a PD registration, is this not Peterhead?
Old 29th August 2018, 21:26
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrent View Post
On the BBC news at 6pm the large blue fishing boat ramming a small French boat had a PD registration, is this not Peterhead?

It certainly is and it's a well known Scottish boat.
British Fishermen are fishing in these waters year round with larger boats than the French are using and with reasonable impunity. To preserve stocks the French have been using smaller boats for some years and only fish from October to March.
Hence how they're a tad upset at something that's been going on for some time.

Jim
Old 29th August 2018, 22:13
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Lets send in our navy to protect our fishermen !
Oh, if only we had one! Currently what trained sailors we have are fully occupied over in the USA, learning how to land American jet aircraft on a white elephant.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 29th August 2018, 22:19

Well at the end of the day, I don't care which nationality it is ! My recognition of ports of registration is poor, being an engineer ! So whoever and wherever that blue boat comes from. the skipper should be prosecuted. I still believe in the fraternity of the sea !
Old 30th August 2018, 18:49

Another beef the French have with the British boats is their dredging for the clams; claiming it destroys seabed life.
Old 30th August 2018, 20:25
Active: 1970 - 1987

Many years ago, some French scallopers put into Torquay in bad weather. They had been fishing in Lyme Bay, and their home port was Camaret, near Brest. I tried asking some questions in my schoolboy quality French and was invited on board by one of the skippers. He showed me the chart of Lyme Bay he was using, and indicted two lines drawn on it in different colours. One was the limit then in force, it may have been 12 miles from shore. Another parallel line in a different colour was drawn inside it. He told me that it was as far inside our limit that he could safely fish, giving him enough time to get outside the limit if he spotted the Fishery patrol boat. He also showed me the main scallop beds that he used. A few years later, the local Brixham fleet started dredging queen scallops from those same areas, having found a market for them with a Scottish merchant, name of Unkels I think. After several weeks of good landings, some Scottish registered boats suddenly appeared in Brixham, all of a very similar design. I remember them because they were all powered by GM Detroit diesels with their unique noise. One night, they cleaned out all the best beds in Lyme Bay, leaving nothing for the local fleet.
Old 30th August 2018, 20:42
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
Another beef the French have with the British boats is their dredging for the clams; claiming it destroys seabed life.
No question it does.

geoff
Old 31st August 2018, 12:58
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
The British boats were fishing legally, outwith the 12 mile restricted zone. The French boats surrounded them and tried to force them away in what was an obviously planned operation. Their actions were dangerous and it was only by good luck that no one was hurt or even worse.
The quotas are normally agreed by the fishermen, but the French refused to attend the meeting last year. The present agreement allows the British boats to catch about 1,000 tonnes, as compared to the French 17,000 tonnes. The British fishermen also agreed to limit the number and size of boats which could trawl in that area.
The French fishermen have a genuine grievance which should be addressed with their own government, or even the EU. Dredging for scallops definitely destroys the seabed, making it unfit for breeding any sea life. We had the same problems with Belgian/Dutch beam trawlers ruining spawning grounds in Scottish waters. There needs to be a solution, but the French idea of taking the law into their own hands is not the answer. The less said about the inaction of the French navy the better.
Old 31st August 2018, 13:21

It will all get sorted out after Brexit when the scallops will move over to England.

Here's a tip - if there's no roe attached to the scallop, there's a good chance its stamped from a skate wing. Bon appetit.

John T
Old 31st August 2018, 15:04

My location
Ramming

Quote:
You are right there.I saw the large English boat
ram the smaller French boat so that English should
be prosecuted.
Dave Williams
Old 31st August 2018, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williams View Post
be prosecuted.
Dave Williams
So you are one of two British trawlers surrounded by twenty plus French trawlers throwing rocks at you, pretty large rocks if they are breaking porthole glass (which they did), firing flares at you etc you are supposed to stop and say 'listen chaps be reasonable'. Photographs can show what you want them to show, who's to say that the French trawler didn't cut across the bow of the British trawler giving him little room to manouver. Not saying any of it is right by any party, just another aspect. Icelandic trawlers and gunboat used to sail across the bows of British trawlers in the 50's (my time) trying to make them slow down, so that the trawler would foul her own net wires, nothings new
Old 31st August 2018, 19:36

My location
Ramming

Quote:
Well at the end of the day, I don't care which nationality it is ! My recognition of ports of registration is poor, being an engineer ! So whoever and wherever that blue boat comes from. the skipper should be prosecuted. I still believe in the fraternity of the sea !
I agree with you,but there appear to be people
who seem to think that this "ramming" is ok if
done by "ourside".
Dave Williams
Old 31st August 2018, 19:38

My location
Ramming

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
So you are one of two British trawlers surrounded by twenty plus French trawlers throwing rocks at you, pretty large rocks if they are breaking porthole glass (which they did), firing flares at you etc you are supposed to stop and say 'listen chaps be reasonable'. Photographs can show what you want them to show, who's to say that the French trawler didn't cut across the bow of the British trawler giving him little room to manouver. Not saying any of it is right by any party, just another aspect. Icelandic trawlers and gunboat used to sail across the bows of British trawlers in the 50's (my time) trying to make them slow down, so that the trawler would foul her own net wires, nothings new
Since when did two wrongs make a right !!!!!
Old 31st August 2018, 19:44

Quote:
Since when did two wrongs make a right !!!!!
With all due respect please read it correctly, slowly if it's easier and digest fully before jumping in with inane comments
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:53

#16 .
Quote:

be prosecuted.
Dave Williams

Ahem, last time I looked Peterhead was in Scotland ... just saying like.

Wonder what happened to the Auld Alliance?

John T
Old 2nd September 2018, 17:12

Quote:
I agree with you,but there appear to be people
who seem to think that this "ramming" is ok if
done by "ourside".
Dave Williams
As I have said previously. I really don't care which nationality is to blame at the end. But unless things have changed drastically since I was at sea. there are settings on the engineroom telegraph for situations like this, I.E, Stop or Full astern and in extreme emergencies Double Full Astern ! If you pulled a stunt like this on any road in the European Countries you would be arrested for road rage at least and dangerous driving at the worst ! Why because it happened at sea should this be any different ?
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:54

Quote:
. I still believe in the fraternity of the sea !
Ah! the Fraternity of the sea! wonderful! twenty trawlers surrounding two, the 20 hurling rocks (which they just happened to have on board) and firing flares into the wheelhouses of the two, Ah! the fraternity of the sea, wonderful mon ami
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:11
Active: 1965 - 1983

Of all the posts in this thread no one has mentioned the European Unions Common Fishing Policy.A policy that does nothing to conserve stocks and makes those fishermen throw back fish that is not on their quota.This system must have been cobbled together by a bunch of morons wh have no understanding of the sea.Under the CFP those Brit fishermen were working quite legally.
Old 7th September 2018, 14:16

Quote:
be prosecuted.
Dave Williams
How long has Peterhead been in England ?