Blue Funnel And Glen Line Masters - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
11:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Funnel And Glen Line Masters

User Tag List

Old 8th July 2011, 15:07

Captain Donald ? Howe of Ascanius on Barber Blue Sea run 1965. A gentleman.
"Crasher " Jackson on the Bulker Ajax, a very nice man who had a habit of handcuffing ones ankle to the foot rail at the bar if he wanted someone to stay late drinking with him.
Gwillam Owen. Not such a nice man. Rules were rules.
D.C.Evans, Menestheus 1963. I was first trip apprentice and I can only recall him grunting at me once after demanding to know who I was.
And several others good and bad whom I cannot ecall at the moment. Must dig out the old discharge books.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2010

Does anyone remember Capt Desmond Stewart? I sailed with him on the Glengyle in 1968. He was the Commodore List 1 RNR at the time. He looked and sounded like the actor Jame Robertson Justice playing Sir Lancilot Spratt!
Old 8th July 2011, 19:30

I remember a post by 'Agamemnon' on the Blue Funnel Nostalgia thread a couple of years ago, in which he refers to three BF masters, Rippon, Liptrot, and Tiplady, as 'Rip,Lip and Tip'
regards,
Pat
Old 9th July 2011, 11:24

I posted this originally under "Masters we have sailed with" not realising that that thread refers to Bank Line. Also I had the masters name as Freddie Squires which I'm now sure was wrong, and it was in fact Desmond Stewart.

I was third mate on a coastal voyage entering Birkenhead docks on a stormy, cold winter's afternoon in around 1971.

The Old Man was Desmond Stewart.

He had his very pretty and somewhat younger Dutch wife with him.As we rounded the knuckles into the locks and dock he was storming up and down the bridge wings getting very worked up at the antics of the rope men and 'knuckle 'arries', shouting "well stitch my bum, stitch my f*****g bum",and chain smoking what I think were Bulkan Sobranie..

He and his wife left the ship later that afternoon to go back to Hull where he had left his car.

Sadly he had a heart attack and died in the taxi in the Mersey tunnel en route to Lime Street station.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:38

My location
That description tells me that it was Noel Joyce and not Desmond Stewart.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:48
Active: 1966 - 2010

It does indeed sound like Noel Joyce who was master of the Calchas in early 1967 which was my first voyage. Another fearsome master who , thankfully, seemed to like me enough to give me a good report. Des Stewart was very much alive in the early eighties when he made a guest appearance on "This Is Your Life" honouring Capt Warwick, 1st Master of the QE2. They had been on the " Conway" together before joining the RN during the war.
Old 9th July 2011, 13:57

My location
Click HERE for a happy memory when Noel Joyce was a brand new chief mate aboard the Glenroy sixty years ago!
Old 11th July 2011, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I remember a post by 'Agamemnon' on the Blue Funnel Nostalgia thread a couple of years ago, in which he refers to three BF masters, Rippon, Liptrot, and Tiplady, as 'Rip,Lip and Tip'
regards,
Pat
sail as 3rd mate with captain tiplady on the glenshiel (x sam boat) in 55 was a year on her ,also with albert lane (just call me samboat lane ) happy days ? on the whole got on fairly well with both of them.
all these names bring back a lot of memories
Old 11th July 2011, 21:38
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
I remember three: "Dickie" Richards (?), JC Ray and Colin Sandy. Memory fails on others!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 11th July 2011, 22:01
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

My book LIFE ABOARD A WARTIME LIBERTY SHIP tells of my experiences on the Samite and Samforth. Has anyone bought it, as there has been little or no interest shown by members?
Old 13th September 2011, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
I posted this originally under "Masters we have sailed with" not realising that that thread refers to Bank Line. Also I had the masters name as Freddie Squires which I'm now sure was wrong, and it was in fact Desmond Stewart.

I was third mate on a coastal voyage entering Birkenhead docks on a stormy, cold winter's afternoon in around 1971.

The Old Man was Desmond Stewart.

He had his very pretty and somewhat younger Dutch wife with him.As we rounded the knuckles into the locks and dock he was storming up and down the bridge wings getting very worked up at the antics of the rope men and 'knuckle 'arries', shouting "well stitch my bum, stitch my f*****g bum",and chain smoking what I think were Bulkan Sobranie..

He and his wife left the ship later that afternoon to go back to Hull where he had left his car.

Sadly he had a heart attack and died in the taxi in the Mersey tunnel en route to Lime Street station.
Definately NOT Desmond Stewart, as his nephew I should know! He never had a Dutch wife and retired to live quietly in N. Ireland. Hedied about 20 years ago
Old 13th September 2011, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_crosby View Post
Punchard, Howie ... two of the worst tempered men it was ever my pleasure to sail with. Yes, skilled shipmasters, but NASTY bastards.
Don't agree with you about Punchard - yes he was a hard man, and set very high standards, but if you towed the line and did your job properly he would back you through thick and thin!
Old 13th September 2011, 22:56

The most dictatorial Captain I sailed with in Blue Flu' Was Corlett on "Demodocus", but even he had his good points!
The most gentlemanly had to be Morley on "Glengarry" and the most laid back, Laxton, also on "Demodocus"
Old 14th September 2011, 09:03

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
I remember three: "Dickie" Richards (?), JC Ray and Colin Sandy. Memory fails on others!
Rgds.
Dave
I sailed with J.C.Ray ( Chinese ray) in M.V.Anchises in the early 70s as a Junior Engineer.Remember him very well- Ranjith
Old 14th September 2011, 10:03

As a boy and 'teen-ager', I used to live next door to Captain Gepp in Bonnington Avenue, Crosby. On the other side lived Captain Robert Smith, the then Superintendent of Liverpool Pilotage. Captain Gepp was Marine Superintendent of Blue Funnel at the time. I moved away in 1960 when I went to sea, and lost touch with these two fine guys.
kingorry.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:37
Active: 1955 - 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw View Post
The most dictatorial Captain I sailed with in Blue Flu' Was Corlett on "Demodocus", but even he had his good points!
The most gentlemanly had to be Morley on "Glengarry" and the most laid back, Laxton, also on "Demodocus"
I did the xmas trip on Demodocus. 1956/57. And the Bosun,of many yearson Her was Dan Corlett (I.oM.) Trev, are you getting names mixed up. It happens to us all
ttfn Peter T.
Old 14th September 2011, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Trodden View Post
I did the xmas trip on Demodocus. 1956/57. And the Bosun,of many yearson Her was Dan Corlett (I.oM.) Trev, are you getting names mixed up. It happens to us all
ttfn Peter T.
Typing error, I'm afraid. Just had another look at my Discharge Book, it was actually, Collett (not Corlet), from Feb 1961 to June 1961
Old 17th September 2011, 23:03

My location
I recall in early 70 when en route to UK from Aussie to start a seafaring career N.A. Joyce was in Stentor (Alan?? was Ch.Officer) and N.D.B. Martin in Helenus. Funny how one can remember 41 years ago yet one needs a list to go to the store!!
Old 18th September 2011, 18:47

JC Ray w as known in my time as either "one way Ray" or "full away Ray" due to his love for getting to the mext port ahead of time. Intererseting experience with him in Liverpool inlate 1980 when the ship managed to hit the Chief Stewards car.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Spittle View Post
I recall in early 70 when en route to UK from Aussie to start a seafaring career N.A. Joyce was in Stentor (Alan?? was Ch.Officer) and N.D.B. Martin in Helenus. Funny how one can remember 41 years ago yet one needs a list to go to the store!!
difficulty remembering what day it is yet can remember `jock` weir master on the old Rhesus (coal burner built 1911)
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:43

My location
Also known as Shanghai Ray! I recall seeing him at Lagos Anchorage in the days when there were ships anchored all the way to Cotonou almost. He was Master of a Blue Funnel M Boat (as I recall?). I suspect the very smart ED funnel was not much to his liking! Imagine loading logs in those ships.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Spittle View Post
Now I remember! Alan Proudfoot was the Chief Officer I was trying to recall.
Old 25th September 2011, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
regards,
Pat
As a follow-on, a few weeks ago I saw an article in a newspaper about twin ladies who had their 100th birthday. One, a Mrs Rippon had apparently married a Merchant Navy officer......I just wondered. The age would be about right.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:39

My location
These are the only photos I have of old Blue Funnel and Glen Line captains.
They are Captain Walter Simmonds & his wife and Captain (radar) Robb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain & Mrs Simmonds.jpg (67.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Captain Radar Robb..jpg (118.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 31st October 2011, 14:15

My location
Captain Simmonds, with whom I made six of my seven voyages in the Glenroy, was a man for whom I held immense regard. He came out of sail and was one of the two original Glen Line masters with whom I sailed-the other was Captain Tyller.
His manner and speech were, what can only be described, as cultivated and I'm sure that resulted from his having been interned in Germany during the entire W.W.1 with British professors and other academics. His internment being due to his ship, the Glenearn having been illegally detained whilst sailing from Hamburg at the outbreak of the war.
I have many memories of him. One, of a Christmas Day in Hong Kong, when, whilst carrying a pink gin across the passenger lounge prior to dinner, I stumbled and spilt the drink all over his white buckskin shoes which suddenly changed to a delicate shade of pink!
His first command had been in 1943/44 in the Ocean Verity on a Russian convoy.

I was given the photograph, some years ago, by his son Howard, whom I remember as a small boy, scampering around the boat-deck of the Glenroy with his sister as they saw their father off on yet another voyage east. Sadly, Howard has since died.