Looking for the 'John Ritson' - Ships Nostalgia
01:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Looking for the 'John Ritson'

User Tag List

Old 30th August 2017, 08:03

Looking for the 'John Ritson'

Does anyone have information about the 'John Ritson' which was in operation from Liverpool to Buenos Aires in 1866 (see http://immigrantships.net/irish_arg/...#John%20Ritson). I'm keen to know any details: type of ship, other routes, images, operating company etc. I wondered if this might be it? http://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/PRG+1373/1/8

Many thanks!

Last edited by neilsaunders; 30th August 2017 at 08:08..
Old 30th August 2017, 11:27

Morning Neil, John Ritson ship built 1850 at Sunderland, 1861 re-rigged to a barque. ON 865. Sold at Sunderland 1873. Tonnage 436. Owners F & W Ritson of Sunderland.
Ted.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:20

Hi Neil, The picture on the Australian site is of a topsail-schooner not a barque. The Mercantile Navy List for 1864 and also 1867 lists three sailing ships named "John Ritson". The one mentioned by Ted (Barque three masts, square rigged on two masts, fore-and-aft rigged on aftermast); a second one also owned by Ritsons of Sunderland ON 58131, a brig of 513 tons (two masts square rigged on both masts); and a third , ON 1773, owned by Jno. (=John) Tinnion, Reg at Maryport of 280 tons (no detail on rig).
Old 30th August 2017, 21:12

Hello,
Lloyd's Register of 1866/67 and 67/68 records the Maryport registered vessel, official number 1773, was the only vessel of the three which made a trip Liverpool1866 and Maryport 1867 to South America.
Although not proof in itself, I think this is the vessel you are interested in.
Built Maryport 1848, 280 tons, 102.1 X 23.3 X 16.6.
Owned as already noted by Tinnion and co. Rigged as a Barque.
Carlisle Archive Centre have her crew agreements for the year in question.

regards
Roger
Old 14th December 2017, 03:16

Wow thank you Ted, Eddy and Roger for all this information. It sounds like the Maryport vessel is the one. Interestingly my ancestors lived in Glenluce, Wigtownshire which is just across the water from Maryport. I did wonder how they would have travelled to Liverpool. I had also assumed that the ship was a steamer but it seems not.

Any suggestions on where I might find an image of the ship? I'll make contact with Carlisle too.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:03

My location
Galloway Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsaunders View Post
Wow thank you Ted, Eddy and Roger for all this information. It sounds like the Maryport vessel is the one. Interestingly my ancestors lived in Glenluce, Wigtownshire which is just across the water from Maryport. I did wonder how they would have travelled to Liverpool. I had also assumed that the ship was a steamer but it seems not.

Any suggestions on where I might find an image of the ship? I'll make contact with Carlisle too.
There was a strong economic connection between Galloway and Liverpool, notably the carriage of livestock.

In the last two decades of the 19th Century, the noted paddle stamer "Countess of Galloway" maintained a regular service between Wigtown, Garlieston, Isle of Whithorn. Kirkcudbright and Liverpool.

The granite in the construction of the Liverpool dock system came from Galloway quarries, notably Kirkmabreck close to Creetown.

Noted Galloway mariners like the Raes set up major shipowning enterprises in Liverpool. Captain James Learmont of Port William & Isle of Whithorn (author of "Master in Sail") was an employee of J & J Rae.

Vic Pitcher
Manners makyth man
Old 14th December 2017, 23:54

Thank you Vic!
That's fantastic. It would certainly have been the most convenient option to travel by steamer to Liverpool. What a handsome looking boat she was!

Carlisle Archives have the following. I have to pay for electronic copies which i have asked for:-

Collection reference: TRS Crew lists and agreements, 1863-1914 (includes vessels registered at Maryport)
These list the names of the skipper and crew.

Collection reference: TSR Shipping Registers, 1786-1933 (Maryport 1836-1933)
These include details about the vessel itself, (type, dimensions etc.) when it was built, the names of the owner and skipper and details of voyages.

The following items from these collections may be of interest to you:

Item reference: TRS 1/31 John Ritson ship of Maryport, 1863-1876
Item reference: TSR/8/166 Vessel name: John Ritson, Port of Registry: Maryport, 1862-1877
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The 'Countess of Galloway'.jpg (81.4 KB, 12 views)