USS Intrepid Comes Home - Ships Nostalgia
05:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

USS Intrepid Comes Home

User Tag List

Old 3rd October 2008, 14:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1992 - Present

USS Intrepid Comes Home

After a two year refit and restoration, the historic aircraft carrier USS INTREPID (CVA-11) returned yesterday to its pier on the west side of New York City.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081003/...WZaU3g.LRI2ocA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uss_intrepid_comes_home2.jpg (23.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg uss_intrepid_comes_home.jpg (18.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 4th October 2008, 11:32

Recently saw a Discovery Channel programme about its move FROM the jetty to the refit. They had to dredge and do all sorts to get her away from the jetty. Glad she made it back and looking better for the refit.
Old 9th October 2008, 17:09

I saw that too and it was fascinating, and I know I had more than a lump in my throat as I saw her make her way down the Hudson.
I hope they do another doccie of her return, and a doccie on those parts of her that are not accessible. Thats my biggest problem with her, the bits I wanted to see are not open to the public.
Long live Intrepid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loylobby View Post
Recently saw a Discovery Channel programme about its move FROM the jetty to the refit. They had to dredge and do all sorts to get her away from the jetty. Glad she made it back and looking better for the refit.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:42

I watched the program this morning about her leaving the NY pier - very impressive documentary. I had to laugh with Hilary Clinton and all the rest of the political luminaries taking centre stage on the first try and then nobody around the next month when they were successful in getting her out of the mud and silt.
Nice to see the old US Salts who sailed on her insisting on returning for the second attempt. If I ever get back to NY I must make a visit.

" For those in peril of the sea ......."