What type of Whistle did Auckland ferries have? - Ships Nostalgia
00:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What type of Whistle did Auckland ferries have?

User Tag List

Old 23rd February 2018, 07:58

Smile What type of Whistle did Auckland ferries have?

Hi everybody Recently I have gotten intrested in train's and ship's whistles and now I am wondering what type of whistle did the Auckland ferries have?
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:44

Rule of thumb, steam for steam ships and air for motor ships (stones on dredgers)
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:05
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Peregrine, I travelled on the old Takapuna from Bayswater wharf to the city Ferry building 5 days a week for 4 years and I still remember every nut , bolt , smell and toot about her . She was a steam ship with a Scotch Marine 2-pass wet back boiler operating at 150 psig . When she did blow the whistle , which was not very often , there was a lot of dribble and squirt before the sound due to the condensate in the steam line . Come to think of it she didn't give three toots to go astern as she berthed because she was a double ender with the only evidence of the bow being the anchor and capstan windlass .
The converted ferrys that were fitted with deisel engines would have had an air horn or klaxon .

Bob
Old 24th February 2018, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
Rule of thumb, steam for steam ships and air for motor ships (stones on dredgers)
Ohhhhhh that makes sense! What types of whistles are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Peregrine, I travelled on the old Takapuna from Bayswater wharf to the city Ferry building 5 days a week for 4 years and I still remember every nut , bolt , smell and toot about her . She was a steam ship with a Scotch Marine 2-pass wet back boiler operating at 150 psig . When she did blow the whistle , which was not very often , there was a lot of dribble and squirt before the sound due to the condensate in the steam line . Come to think of it she didn't give three toots to go astern as she berthed because she was a double ender with the only evidence of the bow being the anchor and capstan windlass .
The converted ferrys that were fitted with deisel engines would have had an air horn or klaxon .

Bob
Did it sound similar to this? (
This is the only recording I can find of a DSFCO Ferry sounding the whistle, also Have you gone to the auckland maritime museum? they have Takapuna's wheelhouse albeit in sad condition with children climbing all over her and spitting on her and they have Britannia's nameboard ) Did you ever see Takapuna at saint mary's bay before her death? The ferries all deserved a better ending.