Eagle Oil - Ships Nostalgia
13:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Eagle Oil

User Tag List

Old 4th September 2005, 13:31

My location
Eagle Oil

Hi to all that use the web site, I am no seaman but come from a family of seafarers, mainly from South Shields, my interest is in the Eagle Oil “San” Boats and the family lost during the war years, in particular the “SS San Roberto” any help will be greatfully accepted
Old 4th September 2005, 14:41

Hi ray, no doubt someone will answer your call soon enough
Old 4th September 2005, 16:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Welcome to the site Ray,your name has a namesake in Pill Somerset who spent all his life at sea,plus another in Bristol with the same name.
Old 4th September 2005, 17:17

My location
Hello John
Thank you for the greetings
I have recently ( a few day past ) had a phone call from my name sake in pill, enquiring if I was related, we are not related as far as I can see , it is Ironic however that I spent almost 10 years in Bristol before moving back up to the North
Ray in Pill i believe served on the Eagle Oil Tankers
The site is very interesting and more diverse than some others i have contributed to
Old 4th September 2005, 17:43
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Well, its a small world,Ray Buck was very well known around Avonmouth, its been over 50 years since I saw him last, he must be in his 80s now.
John
Old 4th September 2005, 18:42
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome to the site Ray, I am sure you will enjoy it
Old 17th September 2005, 15:31
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
H&W built quite a few tankers for Eagle Oil among them San Arcadio, Emiliano, Pedro etc. All in all there were 11 in total. I have the details if this would interest you and I'll try and locate a few photographs in my archive.
Old 17th September 2005, 16:55

My location
Hello Oul Hand
Thank you for responding to my post, I have managed to get a copy of the "Eagle Fleet the story of a tanker fleet in peace & war "by W E Lucas which has a comprehensive list of vessels that the Eagle Oil owned up to its publication in 1955,
I would be pleased if you could search your photograph collection, for any of the ships, “San Zotico”, “San Roberto”, “San Venanceo”, “San Ambrosio” and The “ San Jeronimo” prior to being converted to a whaler in 1928

Thank Ray
Attached Images
File Type: gif bonesing.gif (839 Bytes, 382 views)
Old 17th September 2005, 19:02

My location
Good afternoon.This may not be related to Eagle Oil,of which i'm well familiar through the saga of the San Demetrio.I had a second cousin from South Shields named Leslie
Sanderson who was an engineer on tankers for many years,and retired many years ago
and died in Marbella,Spain.There is no-one left in the family who can give me any details
and I was hoping that someone in this wonderful fraternity might have known him and could shed some light on his career.Many thanks....Doug
Old 17th September 2005, 21:30

My location
Sorry Doug
I am not able to shed any light on your relatives , I am having the same trouble finding anyone , all our family with any contact with Eagle Oil have now passed over, could this be your cousin ?
BT 372 Board of Trade: Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen: Central Register of Seamen: Seamen's Records ('Pouches')

BT 372/2450/72 R767665 SANDERSON L 23/03/1946 SOUTH SHIELDS

These records are held at The National Archives Kew
Old 17th September 2005, 21:40

My location
Leslie Sanderson

Hi,that In All Likelihood Is My Cousin.we Are All Shielly Doggers And
Because He Was At Sea So Often,ican Only Recall Meeting Him Twice,but I Did See His Family As They Lived Just Around The Corner From South Shields Boys High School During My Tenure There In 51-52.
I Will Try The Website,and Thanks For Your Efforts......doug
Old 9th December 2007, 13:49
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1buck1 View Post
Hello Oul Hand
Thank you for responding to my post, I have managed to get a copy of the "Eagle Fleet the story of a tanker fleet in peace & war "by W E Lucas which has a comprehensive list of vessels that the Eagle Oil owned up to its publication in 1955,
I would be pleased if you could search your photograph collection, for any of the ships, “San Zotico”, “San Roberto”, “San Venanceo”, “San Ambrosio” and The “ San Jeronimo” prior to being converted to a whaler in 1928

Thank Ray
Ahoy Ray,
It's been a while ago since you posted this request[17th september 2005!!!!!],but yesterday on a photo exchange fair[WSS Rotterdam]I had an advantage to get quite a few " Eagle-oldies".
SAN VENANCIO 1942 ©Skyfotos
SAN AMBROSIO 1939 © Skyfotos
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 5th August 2008, 23:19

My father went to sea as a junior engineer on he SS SAN FRATERNO in 1921 and remained with Eagle Oil until 1929. He was on the San Robert from November 1927 - 31 March 1929 when he took firsr class Engineers Certificate. Are you familiar with he old East End rhyme?

Round and round the mulberry bush
In and out the Eagle,
That’s the way the money goes,
Pop! goes the weasel.

Half a pound of tuppenny rice
Half a pound of treacle
Mix it up and make it nice
Pop – goes the weasel!

The Eagle is a pub on the corner of Shepherdess Walk and City Road in Hackney but for the seamen circling the South American continent it was Eagle Oil. The ships in which they sailed had eagles on their flags and funnels and the peaked caps of the officers and the buttons on their uniforms also displayed the eagle of Eagle Oil.

Bill Forster
son of
William Redvers Forster (1900-75)
Old 28th January 2014, 02:08
Active: 1954 - 1961

as a old second cook and baker who sailed on eagle tankers in 1955..1956..and 1961 i can tell all ship mates (and others) that the o under the eagle stood for oil but we called it an egg !!!but some eagle tankers had an T under the eagle meaning Transport.Once again we would call that the eagles perch you live and learn!! Best regards ron deegan
Old 28th January 2014, 02:27

Hi Ronaldo,Was there a myth about the Eagle laying an egg,and when it hatched it was pay day!,something along those lines,I sailed on the Felipe and Edmundo, both very good ships.

Len.
Old 28th January 2014, 22:21
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 30th January 2014, 02:10

thank you billyboy ....best regards ....ronaldo (ron deegan)
Old 14th February 2014, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by len mazza View Post
Hi Ronaldo,Was there a myth about the Eagle laying an egg,and when it hatched it was pay day!,something along those lines,I sailed on the Felipe and Edmundo, both very good ships.

Len.
sorry about the delay with my reply ...there was something about laying an egg , but it was such along time ago i have forgot !!![nearly sixty years] ...I sailed on the San Patriceo 55/56 .with Captain shaw [a great guy] 2 trips..the best ship and crew I ever sailed with ..then on San Wilfredo 56/57..with a captain called R R Griffiths [from North Wales] the worst so and so I ever sailed with !!!Another story about him later!!!!Best regards ...Ronaldo
Old 14th February 2014, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by len mazza View Post

Len.
sorry about the delay with my reply ...there was something about laying an egg , but it was such along time ago i have forgot !!![nearly sixty years] ...I sailed on the San Patriceo 55/56 .with Captain shaw [a great guy] 2 trips..the best ship and crew I ever sailed with ..then on San Wilfredo 56/57..with a captain called R R Griffiths [from North Wales] the worst so and so I ever sailed with !!!Another story about him later!!!!Best regards ...Ronaldo
Old 14th February 2014, 15:00

The San Roberto Capt W Wigham was broken up at Blyth in about 1952
Old 14th February 2014, 18:07

Anyone ever sail with a Captain Pope in Eagle oil?
Old 14th February 2014, 18:27
Active: 1936 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank fish View Post
The San Roberto Capt W Wigham was broken up at Blyth in about 1952
Hi Frank,
I made the final voyage of San Roberto of eleven months and we paid off at the breakers in Blyth on 15thNovember 1949.
She was clapped out and 28 years old.
As you say,her master was Captain Wigham and Chief Mate Gay.
Stan
Old 14th February 2014, 21:17

Great to see your posts again Stan !
When I was in Anglo American Oil I net up with the ginger headed lad who was apprentice on the San Demetrio and was featured in the film. He was Welsh like me and came from the Lleyn peninsula. I relieved him on tanket iN camil Lairds Birkenhead in 1947 I think. I understand he passed on some years ago.
Old 15th February 2014, 15:03
Department: Deck
Active: 1971 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
Great to see your posts again Stan !
When I was in Anglo American Oil I net up with the ginger headed lad who was apprentice on the San Demetrio and was featured in the film. He was Welsh like me and came from the Lleyn peninsula. I relieved him on tanket iN camil Lairds Birkenhead in 1947 I think. I understand he passed on some years ago.
Hello Sidsal, see photo of some of the crew of above ship, posted a couple of weeks back (tankers gallery).
Old 24th March 2014, 13:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

Captain A Rylett

I wonder if any ex-Eagle Oil men remember Captain A Rylett.
None of us in the Shell tanker Latia had heard of him when his name was given as the relief for our Captain Berryman once the ship reached La Spezia in Sept 1960. It turned out that Captain Rylett was from Eagle Oil which had recently been absorbed by the parent group Shell and this was his first command with Shell Tankers.

An elderly, genial Yorkshireman from Hull, he had been on the Arctic convoys to Russia during the Second War. On the following New Years Eve, we had a party on board the Latia attended by both American and Russian officers from vessels in La Spezia at the time. The Russians were much taken with Captain Rylett who gave the impression he had enjoyed friendly contacts with various Russian civilians during his stays in USSR ports.
He was easily one of the best Masters I have sailed with.

I also knew an Alex Wilson from Fraserburgh who served his time with Eagle Oil in the 50’s.

Keith