John McCain - Ships Nostalgia
03:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

John McCain

User Tag List

Old 26th August 2018, 22:00

John McCain

I am surprised he lived so long after years of solitary confinement and the torture he endured in the Vietnam prison. Brave man.
Old 26th August 2018, 23:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
He was called a Maverick by his Peers, but to me he was Warrior. R.I.P.
Old 27th August 2018, 00:00

My location
Tis a pity He never made the Presidency, Brave Man indeed.
Old 27th August 2018, 08:46
Active: 1970 - Present

His defending his then-campaign opponent Barack Obama reflects well upon him and now especially so when compared with President Trump's disgraceful utterings.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

He was a man of principle and courage who wasn't afraid to apologise if he made an error.

R.I.P.
Old 27th August 2018, 16:32
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

This is the man who that unpleasant draft dodger Trump criticised because he was a POW in Vietnam, when he could have availed of his connections for early release but refused to do so and suffered the consequences for the rest of his life (like being unable to raise his arms over his head so that he had to get his wife to comb his hair).

The world has lost an honest man!
Old 27th August 2018, 19:33
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1953 - 1958

My location
For those not familiar with John McCain.

Flags are at half mast today across the USA, except for the White House flag, honoring the memory of John Macain, but aides to Trump recommended the flag be flown at half mast, however Trump vetoed the request, sending a terse tweet of condolences to the McCain family.

John McCain was the son and grandson of US naval Admirals. He graduated from West Point Naval Academy then trained as a carrier pilot and was assigned to a carrier ground attack, bomber squadron, in Viet Nam. He flew 23 missions over Viet Nam, culminating in being shot down over Hanoi. In ejecting he suffered two broken arms, a wrist and rib injuries. He used his teeth to activate his inflator jacket as he landed in a lake outside Hanoi. He was captured by Vietnamese farmers, beaten with, sticks, tools and bayonets.

He was severely tortured for extended periods. When it was discovered he was the son of an active admiral he was offered release. The Vietnamese wishing to use this as a propaganda vehicle. McCain refused, insisting he would only take his sequential turn, not any early release.

He was a P.O.W for almost six years, two of which was in solitary confinement for 'extreme disobedience.' He suffered extended turns of torture, every two hours for days, until he finally broke. He later said " Everyman has a limit to torture and I had mine." He fought against torture for any reason." Just recently he voted against Trump's nominee for head of the CIA as she headed up the department that carried out "water-boarding" under President G.W. Bush. He suffered life time injuries from being hung by his arms and never could raise his arms above his shoulders and sustained a permanent limp.

He was awarded the Naval Commendation Medal for assisting a pilot to escape from a burning plane caused by the detonation of a bomb on the carriers deck and the Bronze Star for valor in flights over Viet Nam.

He was a two term congressman and a five term senator for the state of Arizona. He unsuccessfully ran for president twice.

As I have previously stated, I was Republican and voted so for forty odd years until the extreme right took control. The last Republican I voted for was John McCain, in South Carolina's primary election, in his failed 2000 presidential bid. Because of the take over of the Tea Party, he swung to the extreme right and chose that dipsh#@ Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Trump, during a speech while campaigning for president said about John McCain "...He was a hero because he got captured. I like people who weren't captured."

This from someone who got five deferments from the draft.

McCain and his family had requested that President Trump not attend his funeral.
Old 27th August 2018, 19:58
Active: 1968 - 2009

R.I.P John McCain. The world needs more people like him ! As for Donald Trump, It 's time America wakes up and impeach him ! He is a bigot, a liar, a threat to the planet and above all a Coward !
Old 27th August 2018, 20:05
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
He graduated from West Point Naval Academy then trained as a carrier pilot and was assigned to a carrier ground attack, bomber squadron, in Viet Nam.
Sorry to be pedantic Rodney, but should that not be Annapolis - West Point is Army.

A brave man who showed what principles are. RIP.

Dave
Old 27th August 2018, 20:39
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Although in the main I would oppose John McCain's political view point, there's little doubt in my mind that as a man he was honourable and believed passionately. You couldn't help but respect such a man.

Sad that Trump's name has had to rear it's ugly head in this thread, but I understand how the small mindedness of that man seems to have ensured that.

Left, middle or right, (or up and down, forward and backward) you can have respect for opponents that are true to their beliefs. Something that seems to be withering in the wind in today's politics.

"Where have all the good men gone ?"

https://youtu.be/OBwS66EBUcY
Old 28th August 2018, 11:13
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

He was a brave man who fought in the Vietnam War and returned as a hero.
John spoke his mind, he was honest and was well respected by American citizens.
Its a great shame Trump didnt give him the respect he deserved.

R.I.P.
Old 28th August 2018, 20:04

My location
Makko #9

OOPS!

Thanks for the correction. I'd shoot the proof reader, but that would be suicide.
Old 29th August 2018, 00:59

A sad day for America, he represented the best of American ideals and standards, today these standards of behavior and ideals are blurred by bitter political fighting. He will be buried at the Naval Academy, Annapolis. God bless you John McCain
Old 29th August 2018, 01:30

Had he lived in the time of Christ he would surely have been an apostle.

There are two biographies of John McCain's life and, most have only seen the official one.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08...n-dead-iraqis/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08...ar-criminal-2/

No mention, in the official version, of his first wife who waited faithfully for his return only to be cast aside for a woman of wealth, on his return.
Some US veteran websites seem to have it in for McCain - something to do with MIAs and other things. Read the tenth paragraph of the second link above and, see what kind of tricks he was capable of, on the senaye floor.

Last edited by Samsette; 29th August 2018 at 01:39..
Old 29th August 2018, 04:23

My location
One rule he forgot,Never Ever Eject Over An Area You Just Bombed.
Old 29th August 2018, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
To a p1ssed off reception committee.
Old 29th August 2018, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
To be fair John, when you've just had your wing blown off over the centre of Hanoi, by a SAM the size of a telephone pole, you don't really want to try flying that pile of junk much further.

McCain was flying an A4 Skyhawk fighter bomber from the carrier USS Oriskany when he was shot down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uss-oriskany.jpg (85.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 29th August 2018, 21:31

My location
Samsette #16

I think Valhalla would be more appropriate for McCain rather than a Halo.
Old 1st September 2018, 06:01

A war mongering, murderous bastard who's exactly where he belongs.
Old 1st September 2018, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroberts100 View Post
That's a little rough in my opinion, he was doing what many others were doing they certainly never instigated it.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:05
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum - a Remider.

Anyway, to join in any cause is only considered wrong by who would benefit to be on the losing side. In his era it would have been considered un-American to avoid joining up and I suspect it still is by many.
Old 1st September 2018, 17:49
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroberts100 View Post
Wow! Who lit your fuse? Do we conclude that you didn't like him much then?
Old 1st September 2018, 19:58

Was Sarah Palin at his funeral?
Old 1st September 2018, 20:30

My location
No, she was snubbed. Didn't see Pres Carter there also.
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:04

After reading some of the above comments, I decided to do a little research of my own and must admit that I have to change my mind, he was a first class scoundrel, his navy record is out there for everyone to see. His father was Commander on Chief of the Pacific fleet during the Vietnam war and McCain's time there, He was a lousy pilot, he crashed two planes while on the carrier "Forestall". He never faced an inquiry due to his fathers influence. After this while waiting to take off on a mission he got pissed off because of the take position (he objected to waiting for other pilots and take his assigned turn) turn off his engine and got out of his plane, on the way out he dropped part of his planes naptham load on the deck. He ran to the house as it exploded, the rest is well documented, 133 sailor and officers lost their live putting out the fire with a further 100 suffering server burns. The "Forrestall" limped back to the States for repair and he was re-assigned to the "Oriskany" again no inquiry, it was also mentioned that remained in the pilots ready room thorough out the fire. He survived five and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton, he had two choices, survive or die. I have now read good and bad reports of his time in prison. While in prison his wife was involved in a nasty road accident, that after many operations left her crippled, on his return to the states he wanted to go into politics he dumped his crippled wife and three children for and Arizona brewing heiress, President Reagan refused to endorse his candidacy. He was man who held grudges to the end, he could not believe that he was soundly beaten by trump the republic ticket. Several internet comments over here state that ex President Carter declined politely not attend as he thought the whole funeral thing was over the top, and only president get Washington funerals or maybe he knew the real story. The real surprising thing is that Trump has kept his mouth and tweets shut as I am sure he knows a lot than I can find out. As they say that is the other side of the coin.