Ships Nostalgia banner

Palm Line Contacts

13K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  robair 
#1 ·
A few ex Palm Line people may be found on the Friends Reunited site in the Workplaces group "Palm Line Limited (At Sea)" and "Palm Line Limited (Engineering)".
Check it out.

#3 ·
Palm line

Alwyn said:
A few ex Palm Line people may be found on the Friends Reunited site in the Workplaces group "Palm Line Limited (At Sea)" and "Palm Line Limited (Engineering)".
Check it out.
Hi Mike Scott(scottie dog) in palm line from 75 till 83 as an engineer.
Tried looking on friends re-united as suggested and cannot find anything under palm line.
Help.

#6 ·
Friends Re-United.

Hi . I joined FR and after a year they increased the cost of membership from £5 to £7.50 , I sent an e-mail to them complaining that a 50 % increase wasn't fair , they replied that 12 million members hadn't complained.
They let that slip out hey, £ 30 million quid in one foul swoop. Not bad. I'm still not a member. Ken @ Tilbury.

#7 ·
Anyone know Captain/Commodore John Salvidge?

Hello,
My grandfather - John Salvidge - was a Captain and (I think) Commodore with Palm Line in the 60s/70s/80s. I was wondering if anyone knew him and could give me any information about him? He was with the Merchant Navy during WW2 and was sunk more than once. That's about all I know I'm afraid! He lived near Hull. There's very little online about the ships and crew!
Thanks
Rachel

#19 ·
Anyone know Captain/Commodore John Salvidge?

Hello,
My grandfather - John Salvidge - was a Captain and (I think) Commodore with Palm Line in the 60s/70s/80s. I was wondering if anyone knew him and could give me any information about him? He was with the Merchant Navy during WW2 and was sunk more than once. That's about all I know I'm afraid! He lived near Hull. There's very little online about the ships and crew!
Thanks
Rachel
he was my skipper on the mv lobito palm, a very nice man.

#9 ·
hi! Rachel. I have checked my discharge book for 1964 and i think i sailed with your grandfather on the Bamenda Palm. He was a very good skipper,fair but tough.He was, as i recall, a young lad in the w.w11,and told me he had been torpedoed and lost the tip of a finger. I think he started his sea going career on Hull trawlers,and worked his way up through the ranks from decky to Master.

#10 ·
Al and Scotty Dog

Hello chaps,
I remember both of you with great fondness - I remember Scotty Dog (Mick) as your tyoical Geordie Engineer, Clever, witty, great fun and a fantastic engineer. Spent many a watch with you as cadet and Junior and always our time in the bar (apart from the occasional mistermeanor resulting in black eyes for a certain member of the deck department), enough said! As for Al, what a great guy and clever engineer. use to love him explaining the intricacies of an air start system on the back of a *** packet - I wish I had half of his engineering knowledge, no, a quarter would do! remember the SHE Club in Liverpool? - what a great night!

#14 ·
Hi D, just read a copy of Palm Bulletin for spring 1968, it shows you sailed with, Capt G. Alston, L Lawrence, C/O, C. Clarke, 2/O, A.Lomas, 3/O T.Stephenson, C/E, K. Grant, 2/E, A. Ritchie, 3/E, R.Hawthorne, 4/E M. Davison, J/E, yourself then H. Earl, J/El. E. Lansdowne, chief steward, A. Lawrenson Purser, T. Ashwood A/ Purser writer. All onboard the Ilorin Palm. Hopes this helps.

Regards
Graham

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.