1:48 Model of Aberdeen Steam Trawler - Star of Freedom - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

1:48 Model of Aberdeen Steam Trawler - Star of Freedom

User Tag List

Old 2nd October 2012, 14:13
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 2007

Thanks for your input nhp651, and to confirm your input, see the link below which confirms the wheel is at the rear of the wheelhouse when the Star of Freedom was the Sir Galahad. Also the 'Emergency Steering Compartment' did not exist in conventional trawlers. My model is a combination of what the kit provided and my childhood memories going around numerous 'Smokey Joes' with my Dad.

http://www.aberdeenships.com/single....m&index=101493

As glojoh quite rightly says it is only a model, done as a hobby for pleasure and personal memories. raf1387 is a professional modeller so accuracy is important to him. The most glaring error in the kit I found is the lack of windows in the wheelhouse. I had to scratch build a new wheelhouse to incorporate the quarter windows.

Thanks for your input Gents. Derek
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by glojoh View Post
To me it is a model, a very NICE model and the layout of that wheelhouse is the layout the modeller wants and believes to be correct.

No doubt if there are pictures that might suggest this rendition of that specific vessel is inaccurate, then that would probably be appreciated but unless that is forthcoming then it looks amazing and I'm sure I can now smell the whiff of rotting fish
I agree with you, glojoh and caledonean, and modellers licence is what it is.......to the maker comes his own interpretation, and as my grandad always said to critics..."If tha can'st doo better lad...then go and show us!!"
and as you say........a beautiful model that you can take pride of.......I certainly would.
neil.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:02
Department: Medical
Active: 1947 - Present

Very nice model. I am particularly interested in the layout of the steering chain from wheelhouse to rudder quadrant as this is something I can find no information on with another Aberdeen trawler I am about to make for a local museum. That one is the Hall Russell side trawler 'Nerine' (sister ships 'Arum' and 'Disa'), yard No. 688 and built in 1925. While I have some pretty good knowledge of the old SAR&H harbour tugs and their steering arrangement I have no knowledge of trawlers!
Thank you for some ideas.
Robin
Old 18th October 2012, 15:36

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your posting. I assume you are aware of the website below and the drawing available of the 'Arum', a paper print can be purchased from the museum if you need it.

http://www.aberdeenships.com/image.a...833&Size=Giant

If you would like me to post any close-up shots of my model please advise.

Apologies for the late reply, I have been on Holiday.

Derek

Last edited by caledonia2006; 18th October 2012 at 15:40..
Old 18th October 2012, 16:50
Department: Medical
Active: 1947 - Present

Hi Derek,

No worries. The pics you previously posted are a great help but rest assured that if and when I get bogged down I will shout loud and clear! The layout and trunking of the steering gear made me look again at the fuzzy pics I have of the 'Nerine' and lo and behold I can now see it and it appears to be exactly as in your model - at least the front half (the rest is too obscure). I might just shout for info on the length and placement of the bilge keesl unless this is shown on the lines drawing.

Yes, I have been in touch with the kind folk at <aberdeenships.com> and hope to receive the drawings soon (one GA drawing of the 'Arum' and another of the hull lines of the many trawlers Hall Russell built from the same shell. I have also tracked down an Aberdeen Model Boat Club and have asked if any members have pics of HR ships of that era.

Must add - your model is just too lovely!

Regards,
Robin
Old 27th November 2012, 13:53

Excellent model, hearty congratulations.....I was also impressed that you picked up the most glaring error on most 'Milford Star's'.....The rubbing bars to protect the hulls from the Trawldoors don't match the position of the galluses. Did you sand them away and replace them with plastic strip? Once again, Congratulations on a great job.
Old 27th November 2012, 14:31

Thanks for your kind comments Trawldoor. To answer your question, yes I sanded two of the rubbing strakes off the Hull and added 1mm x 2mm 'Evergreen StripStyrene', see photos below.

B115.jpg
B116.jpg
B117.jpg
B126.jpg

The Wheelhouse windows were wrong as well, as was the Trawl Winch size, which I replaced with a scratch build.

There is a log of the complete build if you are interested on this link, you have to join, it's ananymous and free, and you don't get bombarded with junk mail etc.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/boats-...ford-star.html

Thanks again for viewing Derek

Last edited by caledonia2006; 27th November 2012 at 15:42..
Old 27th November 2012, 17:43

I'll have a look, I really like your work. I like to see a real looking Trawler. Yours does the biz as they say! Thanks for the reply....Very best TD
Old 16th December 2012, 11:50

Hi nhp561,
I had forgotten about this when I got home.yes the wheel was at the rear of the wheelhouse. This system took26 turns to go from hard port to hard starboard. STAR OF ORKNEY built in 1937 was the lead ship for the round table class. The were built to Admiralty standards hence the binnacle. I can assure you that after the war they were reconfigured to normal fishing practice, and the binnacle removed. I have the original HallRussell cost book for their post war conversion which lists the wheelhouse modifications. The photo ofSTAR OF ORKNEY alongside has a black hull, the green bit is actually something on the quay. My book on the development of British Steam Trawlerswill finally be published next year...it has only taken me 40 odd years to complete. I it you will find hundreds of plans,photos and details of most UK steam trawlers. As a retired professional modelmaker I have had a long association with Aberdeen maritime museum and on my demise my whole collection of plans, photos and research material will go there. In the museum there are two models of the "STARS", shown in both guises. Very few Aberdeen steam trawlers were fitted with pole compasses, which were standard on the English trawlers.
Old 16th December 2012, 15:09

Hi raf1387, All I can say is that the kit was supplied with a binnacle; regarding the Star of Orkney, we will have to agree to differ, the hull is most definately green on the photo, when you enlarge it you can see the rust at the seams etc. Derek
Old 17th December 2012, 09:23

Please please do not think I am in any way criticising the quality of the model. All my life I have studied other modellers work and learned frm them. I just have this hang up that if you give a model a name it should be correct, three cotton reels on a pointed plank do not make a model of the Queen Mary. Many years ago I stopped judging at model shows as I found it very unfair. Every model on show was built with great enthusiasm and love for the subject. Some modellers just have better equipped workshops while other are professional tradesmen with acquired skills. The point I am making is that every modeller had done his very best so it was very unfair to judge. Returning to Walkers Star boats , up to the First World War, hulls were grey and funnels yellow with black top with the company logo. After this the company went to black hulls and grey black topped funnels which it used until their motor trawlers came on scene in the 1960s. Walkers motor ships had maroon hulls but kept their grey black topped funnels. I grew up in Old Torry and new these ships very well and no Walker ship ever had a green hull. Just to clarify the green hull, this was a dark green from deck level to the rail with dark red boot topping down to the red anti fouling at the waterline. Hope this helps. I will try to post some pics but all mine are high res. so I will have to reduce them.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:28

Trawler models

here are some pics of some of my models.
The first is to show the Aberdeen hull colour on a 'replica' builders model I made in the 80s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STRATHDON3.jpg (89.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg STRATHDON4.jpg (80.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg STRATHDON5.jpg (84.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 17th December 2012, 10:31

Trawler models

Here is the builders model of Star of Orkney.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (181.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (147.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (120.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (156.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 17th December 2012, 14:34

Many thanks for your comments and photos. As mentioned earlier the only colour photo I had of one of the Walker Steam Trawlers was the one previously attached and which I have enlarged below. The source was the Scottish Fisheries Museum, and is supposed to be the Star of Orkney. Anyway, I wanted to make a model which gave some depiction of a real 'working' trawler and I do like the faded/weathered green hull.

If you can shed any light on this colour photo which has a Walker coloured funnel and green hull, I would appreciate it.

Star of Orkney.jpg
Old 17th December 2012, 16:28

She is A.411 MOUNT KEEN when rigged for trawling. Originally built as a steam liner. I will post some pics of her tomorrow as I have used up my allowance for today.
Old 17th December 2012, 20:30

Many thanks for the info raf1387, I see from the Aberdeen website the Mount Keen had an all black funnel? Anyway no need to post more photos my model was made for personal use, so I am happy the way it turned out.

Thanks again Derek
Old 17th December 2012, 22:10

What a beautiful piece of work, well done.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:13

Thanks Stoker, glad you liked it. Derek
Old 17th December 2012, 23:18

Yes MOUNT KEEN. Had a black funnel originally but in later life it was white with a black top. She did however keep her green hull.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1960 - 2004

expertly costructed drifter i am thinking the milford star will be my next progect if it turns out to be half as good as yours i will be happy
well done
Old 14th March 2013, 15:43

Many thanks for your kind comments merchant man, there are a lot of faults with the kit, but with perseverance it can be made into a reasonable model. Let me know if you have any questions. Derek
Old 15th March 2013, 01:16

A Lovely piece of work. You should be very proud. Thank you for sharing it with us.
John
Old 15th March 2013, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshiregeordie View Post
A Lovely piece of work. You should be very proud. Thank you for sharing it with us.
John
Thank you John, your very kind comments are appreciated. Derek
Old 20th April 2015, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1387 View Post
Hi nhp561,
I had forgotten about this when I got home.yes the wheel was at the rear of the wheelhouse. This system took26 turns to go from hard port to hard starboard. STAR OF ORKNEY built in 1937 was the lead ship for the round table class. The were built to Admiralty standards hence the binnacle. I can assure you that after the war they were reconfigured to normal fishing practice, and the binnacle removed. I have the original HallRussell cost book for their post war conversion which lists the wheelhouse modifications. The photo ofSTAR OF ORKNEY alongside has a black hull, the green bit is actually something on the quay. My book on the development of British Steam Trawlerswill finally be published next year...it has only taken me 40 odd years to complete. I it you will find hundreds of plans,photos and details of most UK steam trawlers. As a retired professional modelmaker I have had a long association with Aberdeen maritime museum and on my demise my whole collection of plans, photos and research material will go there. In the museum there are two models of the "STARS", shown in both guises. Very few Aberdeen steam trawlers were fitted with pole compasses, which were standard on the English trawlers.
Hi Raf1387, was wondering if the book you mentioned above had been published yet, and if so what is the title and publisher? Many thanks. Derek
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day caledonia2006,sm.14th sep.2012.#1re:model of aberdeen trawlers,star of freedom,reading this old post.great models.thank you for posting.regards ben27