Geoff Duke. RIP - Ships Nostalgia
21:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Geoff Duke. RIP

User Tag List

Old 2nd May 2015, 15:07
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2010

My location
Geoff Duke. RIP

Another boyhood hero passes on.

Geoff Duke, motorcycle racer and TT winner passed on today aged 92.

Regards
Old 2nd May 2015, 15:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

RIP indeed. A hero of mine from way back when.
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:32

Got his Autograph when he raced at Aintree about 1950 the first time I seen all aluminium go faster fairing on bike .
Bob.
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:29
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1965

RIP. A real racer.
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:29
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Feather bed comes to mind

Bob
Old 3rd May 2015, 16:30

He was the first rider to bust a ton on the IOM
Old 3rd May 2015, 18:21
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Mackintosh View Post
He was the first rider to bust a ton on the IOM
That was Bobby McIntyre on a 4cyl Gilera.. Geoff did not quite make the ton lap also on a Gilera..

Last edited by vickentallen; 3rd May 2015 at 18:29..
Old 3rd May 2015, 18:26
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Every boy's hero in the 50's and his Snortin' Norton Dominator speaks for itself. RIP Geoff.
4 cyl Gilera
Old 4th May 2015, 00:19

A true legend.
Old 4th May 2015, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickentallen View Post
That was Bobby McIntyre on a 4cyl Gilera.. Geoff did not quite make the ton lap also on a Gilera..
Gilera? must admit I have never heard that one,Mr Duke was outclassed when the Italians brought over their Motto Guzzis(s)his one lunger just didn't have the low end recovery, I worked with a mechanic who also rode in the junior TT name of Paul Smith from Leeds, who rode 350 Norton, he was the one all enthused because Duke had done it on a Norton, guess we live and learn
Old 5th May 2015, 06:36
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

GEOFF DUKE.MAy HE REST IN PEACE.a great racer.my condolences to his family.regards ben27
Old 5th May 2015, 07:09
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
RIP you were great
Old 5th May 2015, 15:00

Absolute Hero and fellow member of Middlesbrough Motor Club where I spoke with him on a number of occasions when he was looking at my Dommi 88 (with Dunstall mods) which I rode to and raced at various tracks like Croft and Thornaby.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 5th May 2015, 18:05

I had an incredible day out in 1976 when I and a mate were invited by a guy we had helped in Canberra who was racing that weekend at Amaroo Park, north of Sydney in a vintage meet.......he was called Syl Massola and was racing a Bugatti type 37......he gave us invites up to the grand stand tower.

we were taken upto there where we met Geoff and the man who was going to ride/race one of his own TT Manx Norton's.....my all time hero SMB "Mike the Bike" Hailwood, who was racing for the first time in a number of years.
Geoff was very affable and talkative with us young upstarts, but Mike was concentrating on the buildup to the race, until that is, a certain Donald Healey and a man called Keenan Wynn joined in whereby the conversation became very funny with each taking the preverbial out of each other..............We shared some warm beers from our esky as the temperature that day was 41c( not Mike the bike I must say) and were treated to a meal that evening by Keenan Wynn as a very generous offer and payment for sharing beers with him..............and to cap off what was a perfect day for us that evening, on the next table at the hotel, was a very very funny man who took the rip all night about Keenan always playing the "baddy".........one Lee Marvin

And the thing that saddens me most is.......that not one of those wonderful people who I met by pure chance and was humbled by the whole experience, is alive today.............may they all rest in peace, and it was an absolute privilege to have met them all on that one magic day in time, half way around the world.

Last edited by nhp651; 5th May 2015 at 18:08..
Old 5th May 2015, 19:58
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1976 - Present

Geoff Duke - times past

My father Geoff Hunter raced against Geoff Duke and many others - he was from Scarboro and in later years often we went to Olivers Mount to see the races. I understand my dad was one of the team who prepared Dennis Parkinson's bike for the 53 Manx TT and I still have his white pot helmet. Grew up hearing about such hero's, so it's sad to see them all going. When I went to visit Celtic Marine, Dorchester and Midocean on the IoM 15 years ago, my old man was blown away when I phoned him from the Sefton at Douglas.
Old 5th May 2015, 20:23

I raced Scarborough just the twice, after racing on old Airfields when if I got it wrong it was into a cornfield exiting like Wurzel Gummage, the Oliver's Mount circuit was a bit of an eye opener with the green belt a bit too close for me!!

Old 5th May 2015, 21:17

God rest you Geoff, possibly the best racer this island ever produced having won world titles on two and four wheels. He lost his son to racing which and event that made him withdraw from the racing community. Great racer great bloke
Old 5th May 2015, 21:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1976 - Present

Chadburn
Story goes my mother found my dad in a ditch out at Harwood Dale, after he came off his bike; after the third time, she decided it was time for him to stop racing. When they died, the whole family met at Olivers Mount and scattered the ashes near the memorial, overlooking the South Bay.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointchester View Post
Chadburn
Story goes my mother found my dad in a ditch out at Harwood Dale, after he came off his bike; after the third time, she decided it was time for him to stop racing. When they died, the whole family met at Olivers Mount and scattered the ashes near the memorial, overlooking the South Bay.
I could not think of a better place for ashes to be scattered for any motorcyclist.
Many years ago I went to a meeting and on the Friday night they closed off the road down from the Mount to the Lifeboat Station. Some of the older generation riders rode down on the bikes they rode in their glory days. The echoing drone of an MV Augusta along the seafront was superb along with the sound of the British Singles, it was a superb evening, they then interviewed the Riders outside the Lifeboat Station and after the interview they rode all the way back up the Mount

Last edited by chadburn; 6th May 2015 at 16:26..
Old 6th May 2015, 16:43

My very first bike was a very early Matchless, built before 1920, me and my buddy Harry bought it from a local scrap man for 10bob, it had cane(?) wheels and a long skinny double chamber fuel tank, oil pump on one side, which one was supposed to pump every once in a while, and it had a back rest on the seat (no pillion)we found out what the back rest was for after we got the thing in running condition,it was to hold you on the bike, it had what we were told was a brass cone clutch, either in or out, no riding it,so it started forward motion with a terrific jerk, but fine once under way, wish I still had it, must be worth a fortune today
Old 6th May 2015, 19:10

Hamish, there was a version of the cone clutch on some of the older steam winches to engage the Drum drive.

Old 6th May 2015, 20:20

I served my apprenticeship in a jute mill in Dundee where all the looms had cone clutches.
Old 14th May 2015, 20:03

An ex Army mate of my late Fathers.
Served together in the Royal Signals as motor cycle despatch riders in the second world war. North Africa, Palestine etc.
Old 15th May 2015, 02:35

Saw him racing in Australia at a place called Bonegilla, on a factory Gilera, when I was about 12 years old, very impresive,, more impressive still was his Italian mechanic, who, unlike the frantic showing of lap time boards by the opposition just sat on a straw bale with his back to the track,, as I was trying to learn Italian at the time I asked him why he didn't look at his bike as it passed the pits, his answer , no need to look, I just listen.