Flag etiquette Portsmouth - Ships Nostalgia
12:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Flag etiquette Portsmouth

User Tag List

Old 3rd May 2015, 17:01

My location
Flag etiquette Portsmouth

I have just returned from a stay in Portsmouth. With an hour to spare at lunchtime I took a stroll into the Historic Dockyard. Whether it was a joke or not but I was horrified to see the German Auxilliary, FGS Werra flying the Union Flag upside down and at least a metre short of the cross tree. I had previously been used to correcting various Nationals as to the correct flag and how to hoist it in my job as pilot but never expected to witness this in Naval Base !
Old 3rd May 2015, 17:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gurton View Post
I have just returned from a stay in Portsmouth. With an hour to spare at lunchtime I took a stroll into the Historic Dockyard. Whether it was a joke or not but I was horrified to see the German Auxilliary, FGS Werra flying the Union Flag upside down and at least a metre short of the cross tree. I had previously been used to correcting various Nationals as to the correct flag and how to hoist it in my job as pilot but never expected to witness this in Naval Base !
Typical of the disdain shown by the Krauts who despite losing the war have now been allowed by the victors to rule Europe.
Old 3rd May 2015, 18:05
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Quote:
Whilst it is not a requirement for naval vessels to hoist a courtesy flag, many do. Bearing in mind how many British people are totally unaware that it is possible to fly a union flag upside down, I don't think we can really knock the foreigners for what is merely a courtesy they do not have to show.

Jim
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

I think, if I'd had time, I'd have presented myself, asked politely to speak to the OOW and mentioned, in kindly fashion, that it was upside down.
Old 3rd May 2015, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
I think, if I'd had time, I'd have presented myself, asked politely to speak to the OOW and mentioned, in kindly fashion, that it was upside down.

Well if Keltic Star is right Basil, you would be well advised to scurry past, head bowed, and do nothing that would draw attention to yourself.
Our 'Kraut' rulers might just throw you in the brig.
Pat
Old 4th May 2015, 00:10

Isn't an side down flag a distress signal?

John T
Old 4th May 2015, 02:01

And you could have given them a severe dressing down for flying the union as the courtesy flag,,

Last edited by reefrat; 4th May 2015 at 03:31..
Old 4th May 2015, 02:09
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post

John T
It was when I was a Boy Scout John

Bob
Old 4th May 2015, 03:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrat View Post
And you could have given them a severe dressing down for flying the the union as the courtesy flag,,
Am I right in saying that the Union Flag may only be flown from UK Royal and Government buildings?

And of course don't confuse it with the pilot jack.
Old 4th May 2015, 06:20
Active: 1950 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
It was when I was a Boy Scout John

Bob
It wasn't in the rules as a distress signal when I did the collision regs.
Old 4th May 2015, 06:21
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Well if Keltic Star is right Basil, you would be well advised to scurry past, head bowed, and do nothing that would draw attention to yourself.
Our 'Kraut' rulers might just throw you in the brig.
Pat
More appropriately, send a German flag cut into it's three stripes to the editor of Der Spiegel with a request to forward it to the Commanding officer of the offending vessel. That should get their attention.

On a serious note though, I must confess that as a second trip Cadet approaching Cristobal, I was told to hoist the courtesy ensign. I have never been so vocally and publicly reamed out before or since as when the Old Man noticed the Panamanian flag flying merrily on the yard arm instead of the Stars and Bars.

Last edited by Keltic Star; 4th May 2015 at 06:44..
Old 4th May 2015, 17:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
My thoughts were so at the time, though my wife would have tried to prevent me. However the security fence was in my way. I have over the years had success in Lisbon, Rouen , St Petersburg and even Sheerness.
Old 4th May 2015, 17:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1978

I remember going in to Karachi on Strathconon we were passing a Pakistani Navy warship. Some of us cadets were told to dip the ensign on being commanded as we went past and to watch what happened. Never seen anyone move so fast as a couple of crewmen on board her sprinted to return the courtesy!
Old 4th May 2015, 18:25
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Stopped

Quote:
My thoughts were so at the time, though my wife would have tried to prevent me. However the security fence was in my way. I have over the years had success in Lisbon, Rouen , St Petersburg and even Sheerness.
Ahha,nice one John..good job your wife is near by to stop you leaping aboard these naval ships.
Old 5th May 2015, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post

John T
Not internationally recognised John, what would France and Norway do? Ensigns are worn not flown.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel