Windsor or willesden - Ships Nostalgia
19:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Windsor or willesden

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:29
alastair.k alastair.k is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1957
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Windsor or willesden

who sailed with watts watts shipping company in July1953--1957
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4th June 2012, 23:20
John Rogers's Avatar
John Rogers John Rogers is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954
 
Join Date: May 2004
My location
Posts: 11,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair.k View Post
who sailed with watts watts shipping company in July1953--1957
Just saw your post. I sailed on the Willesden and the Beckenham 1951-1953.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5th June 2012, 00:28
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 940
windsor/ willesden

hi, i was on the MV Wanstead in 1961, my brother sailed on Wanstead, Woolwich and Beaconsfield. which Willesden did you sail on, the steamship or the later motorship, ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wanstead-02.jpg (48.8 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 8th June 2012, 08:57
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stores View Post
hi, i was on the MV Wanstead in 1961, my brother sailed on Wanstead, Woolwich and Beaconsfield. which Willesden did you sail on, the steamship or the later motorship, ?
ss.WILLESDEN 46-58, mv.WILLESDEN 61-62
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th June 2012, 17:39
John Rogers's Avatar
John Rogers John Rogers is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954
 
Join Date: May 2004
My location
Posts: 11,194
Like I mentioned,I was on the Willesden in 1953,I was a Greaser.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12th June 2012, 10:19
johnar johnar is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 1956
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
willesden

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
ss.WILLESDEN 46-58, mv.WILLESDEN 61-62
Hi there, my father was chippy on the willesden outward from, I think, tilbury dec 1949.Unfortunately he died a few days later and was buried at sea. Any recollections ?. cheers roger.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19th November 2013, 15:43
Brian Rowlings Brian Rowlings is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 21
Watts Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Just saw your post. I sailed on the Willesden and the Beckenham 1951-1953.
I did my first trip to sea on the Beckenham. I joined her in South Shields as deck boy 27th August 1953. Quite an exciting trip we loaded timber at Igarka in North Russia and on the trip back to the U.K. we ran aground on Novaya Zembla and were picked up off the beach by the crew of a Russian ship, "Alexander Suvarov" which took us to Archangel and eventually home via Helsinki, Turku, Stockholm, Gothenburg and Tilbury. Not bad for a first trip was it? There were two other first trip deck boys on board, all of us fresh from training at the Mill Dam pre Sea School.

Regards

Brian Rowlings.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20th June 2015, 07:37
terence docker terence docker is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
I sailed London to Dar-es-Salem on my first trip to sea as a pantry boy straight from the Vindi. A hell Ship for me. I've had to live with that trip all my life. Signed off ill with glandular fever - nearly died in hospital - hospitalised for six weeks, signed on DBS on the Wendover ( a ship & crew that was everything that the Willesden should have been...) Recovered in the UK and went back to sea with the NZSCo for the next five years - a great five years too with a great company... contact me direct if you wish to talk more

Terry Docker
20/06/15
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th June 2015, 11:48
Split Split is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence docker View Post
I sailed London to Dar-es-Salem on my first trip to sea as a pantry boy straight from the Vindi. A hell Ship for me. I've had to live with that trip all my life. Signed off ill with glandular fever - nearly died in hospital - hospitalised for six weeks, signed on DBS on the Wendover ( a ship & crew that was everything that the Willesden should have been...) Recovered in the UK and went back to sea with the NZSCo for the next five years - a great five years too with a great company... contact me direct if you wish to talk more

Terry Docker
20/06/15
Why was she called Willesden? It is a respectable part of NW London but, as far as I know, famous for nothing other than me being born there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26th July 2015, 11:20
johnar johnar is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 1956
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 40
johnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
Why was she called Willesden? It is a respectable part of NW London but, as far as I know, famous for nothing other than me being born there.
named as were others I believe,after London suburbs,Wanstead Woodford etc---cheers-Roger--
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windsor Castle tanker Union Castle - Safmarine 9 10th September 2018 10:09
"chippy" on the willesden johnar Watts Watts & Co - Ships & History 6 26th January 2012 12:26
Windsor intro. Windsor Say Hello 11 29th March 2011 16:33
Rms Windsor Castle Rip Shipbuilder Union Castle - Safmarine 12 29th May 2010 06:11
Windsor Castle Steve Union Castle - Safmarine 0 24th March 2004 20:05



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.