Lady Charrington - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lady Charrington

User Tag List

Old 15th March 2007, 13:52

in the early fifties john charrington was known as the north sea ghost.
alan
Old 4th March 2008, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnila View Post
In the early 1960s I did a few months in this ship,about which ,in another thread I described ,maybe unkindly ,as"the ugliest ship on the North East Coal Trade".Would anyone out there have a photo of her,just to confirm it?
Do you have any further information about life onboard the lady charrington? My grandfather Robert Purvis was the skipper in the 50's and 60's and wondered if you had any unusual stories from that time!
Christine Lumsdon nee Purvis
Old 6th March 2008, 14:17

hi lads, i remember the john charrington the only collier to pass flamborough head twice in one day and not a bit like the lady,john had a counter stern like most colliers in the old days. john was the greyhound of the north east coast, ugly!! they were old ladys albert.s.i
Old 6th March 2008, 19:32

Your right there Albert I sailed on her, What a B------, to say the least

Bill (Tynemouth)
Old 8th March 2008, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chistine Lumsdon View Post
Do you have any further information about life onboard the lady charrington? My grandfather Robert Purvis was the skipper in the 50's and 60's and wondered if you had any unusual stories from that time!
Christine Lumsdon nee Purvis
Hi Christine,
I remember one particular trip,northbound to Blyth from the London River.Fine weather off Flamborough Head when an A/B came down off the wheel and said"We're doing 10 knots, the Old Man's on the bridge wing with his hat back to front and wearing goggles!"
On a more serious note,loaded and ready to sail from Blyth with a pretty fierce Nor'easterly blowing we waited most of the day for it to abate,(apparently the Pilot wasn't too keen to take us out),All of a sudden"Toot Toot"we're off,dropped the pilot inside the breakwater,and out into it. I think the next few minutes were the scariest of my time at sea.Later word came round,as it does on board,that Captain Purvis had received a call from the owners to"take her out or we'll send someone else who will".I believe he didn't have long until he retired,and I've always thought it dispicible to put anyone under that kind of pressure.I do think that it's only due to Bob Purvis' skill as a seafarer that I am able to share these memories with you.Sorry to be so melodramatic,I'm not usually,I think it may be due to an overdose of Guiness!!
Old 27th March 2008, 14:18

anyone remember an old mate of mine ,mel carr.he was chief steward on lady charrington for about 6 years.he took her to the breakers yard then spent the rest of his time with stevie clarkes.
Old 27th March 2008, 15:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

ugly ships talk about delusions of grandeur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
talking of ugly ships,that cunard cargo ship with the two funnels takes some beating,forget the name now,used to get into surry commercial docks.
hi dom
just happened on your post from a long time ago.
i think the twin funnel cunard cargo ship(s)? you were referring to were the alsatia and andria bought 1951 from silver line ex silverplane and silverbriar respectively. built j. l. thompsons sunderland 1948. they then became union freedom and union faith, the latter, i believe, collided with a petrol barge on the mississippi in 1969 and was burnt out.

the for'd funnel housed the wheelhouse and chart room

Last edited by joebuckham; 27th March 2008 at 15:10..
Old 1st April 2008, 21:11

I sailed in Lady Charrington in the 60's and I did not think of her as an ugly ship. I sailed in uglier motor ships at about that time. The John Charrington was known as the greyhound of the North East as she could pass Flambrough Head going North, load her cargo in Blyth and pass Flambrough going South in under 24 hours. She was scrapped in the latter end of the 50's.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael higgins View Post
anyone remember an old mate of mine ,mel carr.he was chief steward on lady charrington for about 6 years.he took her to the breakers yard then spent the rest of his time with stevie clarkes.
It was Mel Carr I sailed with the few months I was in her.Is he still to the fore?
BestRegards
Arch
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:33

hi arch,just to let you know mel carr is still going strong,he's turned 80 now but is still as fit as a fiddle.
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:23

He can't be 80! He was only around 40 when I sailed with him 39 years ago!!!
Old 19th June 2008, 20:22

hi notnila
Thanks for your memories of life onboard the lady charrington they were fascinating. My grandad Bob Purvis died when I was only 3 years of age so it is really interesting to hear these stories. If you hear of anything else that you think would be of interest please let me know.
Thanks again
Christine
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:32

You,re very welcome Christine.I didn,t see your posting until now.Too much footie on the tele!!
Old 25th July 2008, 21:58

A very evocative picture of her"on the ground"at Woolwich Power Station in the 60's, in next months(August)"Sea Breezes".
I may even have been in her then,Captain Bob Purvis certainly was.
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:57

Did a brief run as reliefcook on the Lady C, November 62, Coal burning galley stove was a novelty. Remember just giving the somali firemen Two loaves of bread, a load of veg and a lump of rib beef each day to cook their own grub. Dont remember a lot more about her, but I only did a couple of trips. Cheers Albi.
Old 31st August 2008, 15:37

Hello every one, my name is Allan Gallop, i came over this web site whilst looking for the Lady Charrington. My Farther who had the same name as me was Bosun on her running out of Blyth in the early 60s, i remember being taken around her by my farther when she was in Blyth. i still remember the smells and the pollished wood, anyone remember him? he died in jan 07 back home in Brisbaine, im trying to find out about his life, the bits we didnt see. Thanks.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:05

hi allan,i was on the lady and the john charrington in the early fifties, the john was called the Blyth greyhound ,the captain was chipchase ,iwas on her for nine months,ilater joined the lady in 57. captain Purvis was her old man at that time, cant tell you much more ,cant remember the bosun, i liked the ship it was ten times better than the john. regards billy
Old 30th May 2009, 23:51

"Lady Charriington" nothing wrong with her . She was just an every day average collier. I was on her as AB Jan to March 68. In fact had me wife to be onboard in South Dock, Sunderland. She left very happy,I sailed away rejoicing.
Bob
Old 3rd February 2015, 23:20
Active: 1918 - 1957

Searching for information regarding my Grandfather, Stanley Brockett Harrison, who seems to have been the in the Merchant Navy for more than 40 years. His last ship seems to have been the S/S Lady Charrington, unfortunately he died at Blyth before a trip home in June 1957. I have a letter from Master Purvis, writing to my Grandmother and father upon my Grandfathers death.
Ships he has been on are : S/S Birchwood (apparently torpedoed in New York Harbour in Jan 1918, Canadian Supply Ship Mapleton based at Scapa Flow during WW2, other ships appear to have been : S/S Sea Fisher (I have some fantastic pics of this ship with trains and railway track on board and being unloaded but not quite sure where in the world that was going to), S/S Burnhope - I have a letter from Dunkirk saying he was going onwards to Russia, S/S Beltyne, going to Lisbon, S/S ? M/Y Supremity .
Any information about life on board these ships, or even if anyone knew of him from his last ship The Lady Charrington...would be really appreciated.
Old 14th April 2016, 11:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 2012

My dad, Thomas Sharp was mate and Master of Lady Charrington. He took her to the breakers in Inverkeithing.
Sorry not sure of the dates but I know she was still sailing in 1968.
Looked okay to me certainly good inside!
Old 15th April 2016, 12:00

My location
She went to the breakers in October 69
spartan
Old 15th April 2016, 21:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 2012

Thanks Spartan, couldn't remember the year she went.
Rgds Alan