Stanvac / Mobil Tankers - Ships Nostalgia
23:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stanvac / Mobil Tankers

User Tag List

Old 28th April 2008, 04:41

Stanvac / Mobil Tankers

Hi,
Before leaving on my trip, found attached photo of Engineers on Stanvac Mariner, 1961-1962. I can only remember (written on back of photo) nicknames or first names.
From left to right -
'Geordie' - 5th eng; Ted - 3rd eng; 'Knocker' - 4th eng; Harry (without shirt) - 2nd eng; Eric - 5th eng; and finally, the Chief eng.
Has anyone any info. and would appreciate a photo of the Stanvac Mariner.
I spent 13 months on her and on board for some time after it was sold to South Africa. Had Zulu crew and all English officers relieved by Africaans guys.
The Leckie that finally relieved me name was Axel Axelson; I wonder how he fared??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mariners.jpg (61.4 KB, 263 views)
Old 14th May 2008, 19:01

Stanvac Mobil Tankers

Could not trace a photograph of STANVAC MARINER, but have put together some of its history (below) which may be of interest. The first part is its changes of registered owner and name, etc., and the second part is some example voyages (all from Lloyd's publications).

STANVAC MARINER
23,547 tons gross, 14,249 tons net, 36,000 tons deadweight
Length overall 690 ft, breadth 90 ft 5 in, draught 35 ft 10 in
2 steam turbines by Mitsubishi, Nagasaki, 16,000 shaft horsepower; speed 15.5 knots
Career:
08.12.56 Keel laid at Mitsubishi, Nagasaki (ship number 1472)
02.04.57 Launched
15.07.57 Delivered to Standard Vacuum Tankers Ltd, Bermuda (manager Standard Vacuum Oil Co, London)
1962 transferred Petroleum Transport International (Pty) Ltd, Durban, and made at least one voyage as STANVAC MARINER under South African flag before renaming to MOBIL MARINER
1962 renamed MOBIL MARINER (South African flag)
1964 transferred to Mobil Transport (Bahamas) Ltd, Nassau (manager Mobil Shipping Co Ltd, London), renamed MOBIL TRANSPORTER
1968 transferred to Mobil Shipping Co Ltd, London
1969 converted to ore/bulk/oil (obo) carrier by Nippon Kokan, Shimizu, with tonnages increased to 37,781 gross, 24,430 net, 63,859 deadweight; length 249.33 metres, breadth 32.31 metres, draught 12,532 metres
12.06.78 arrived Kaohsiung to be broken up

Some example voyages
As STANVAC MARINER
1958 Umm Said left 8 Oct for Melbourne
1959 Bandar Mashur left 9 Apr for Durban
1960 Bandar Mashur left 29 Feb for Durban
1961 Melbourne left 5 Apr for Persian Gulf; in 21S 100E 12 April midnight
1962 (under South African flag as STANVAC MARINER) Durban left 27 July FOR Bandar Mashur; in 18 29S 39 51E 30 July pm
As MOBIL MARINER
1963 Rotterdam left 18 Apr – Bandar Mashur; left Suez 28 Apr
1963 New York arrived 29 Aug from Puerto la Cruz
1964 Puerto la Cruz left 11 Feb for Rotterdam
As MOBIL TRANSPORTER
1964 Rotterdam left 22 Oct for Ras es Sider; passed Gibraltar 26 Oct
1965 Banias left 2 May for Einswarden
1965 Rotterdam left 30 Oct for Gibraltar
1965 Philadelphia left 23 Dec for La Salina
1966 Naples left 24 Feb for Ras Lanuf
1966 La Salina left 15 Sept for Coryton
1967 Naples left 28 Jan for Ras Lanuf
1967 Ras Lanuf left 31 May – Coryton; anchored off Southend 7 June
1968 New York left 16 July for Aruba
1968 Yokohama arrived 30 Nov
1969 at Tsurumi March, converting
1969 Mena Ahmadi left 27 Oct – Philadelphia; left Table Bay 11 Nov
1970 Mena Ahmadi left 1 Feb for Philadelphia; left Table Bay 16 Feb
1970 Hampton Roads left 4 Aug for Japan; Panama Canal 10 Aug
1970 Hampton Roads left 7 Nov for Japan
1971 Hampton Roads left 18 Feb for Japan; in 27 42N 135 55W 9 Mar am
1971 Mena Ahmadi left 14 Nov – Philadelphia; left Luderitz Bay 1 Dec
1972 Ras Tanura left 10 May for Philadelphia
1972 Fukuyama left 21 Oct – Singapore Roads, arrived 28 Oct
1973 Baltimore left21 Jan for Tobata; Panama Canal 30 Jan
1974 Fukuyama left 21 Jan for Kharg Island; left Singapore Roads 29 Jan
1975 Baltimore left 7 Feb for Japan; Panama Canal 14 Feb
1975 Philadelphia left 19 Oct – arrived Hampton Roads 23 Oct
1976 arrived Singapore Roads 16 Sep
1977 arrived New Orleans 18 Oct
Old 15th May 2008, 08:08

My location
Mobil Mariner

Dont know if this is the same Ship,but might just be?
joller6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saudi Glory ex Mobil Mariner.jpg (36.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 15th May 2008, 08:20

My location
Mobil Transporter ex Stanvac Mariner

Vessel Name Flag SDWT (Long Tons) LOA (feet) Beam (feet) Draft (feet) Speed (Kts) Year Built Cargo Type Owner (in 1977) Builder Comments (in 1977) Other Comments
MOBIL TRANSPORTER BRITISH 63835 818 106 41' 1" 15,5 1957 OBO Mobil Shipping Company Limited Norfolk, VA USA (builder unknown) STANVAC MARINER 1957-1962. MOBIL MARINER 1962-1964. Converted to OBO 1969 Yokohama, Japan Laid up Jul-Sep 1976 before resuming oil only trading. Scrapped Kaohsiung 12.06.1978

History:
LR/IMO ID Year built Name Tons Name change
5238250 1957 STANVAC MARINER 23547
5238250 5238250 1957 MOBIL MARINER 23547 1962
5238250 5238250 1957 MOBIL TRANSPORTER 23547 1964
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mobil Transporter ex Stanvac Mariner.jpg (48.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 5th June 2008, 08:17

Hi , My thanks to 'jolle6' for photo of Mobil Mariner, that's the one. And thanks to 'Roger Jordan' for all the info. I joined her as 'Stanvac Mariner' in April , 1961, in Suez, enroute to Rotterdam. Paid off 13 months later in Durban.
Other ships I will be researching are 'Mobil Flame', "Sylvan Arrow' and 'Mobil Acme'.
Aussieleckie
Old 7th June 2008, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieleckie View Post
Hi , My thanks to 'jolle6' for photo of Mobil Mariner, that's the one. And thanks to 'Roger Jordan' for all the info. I joined her as 'Stanvac Mariner' in April , 1961, in Suez, enroute to Rotterdam. Paid off 13 months later in Durban.
Other ships I will be researching are 'Mobil Flame', "Sylvan Arrow' and 'Mobil Acme'.
Aussieleckie
No gen on the Sylvan Arrow.I was in the Royal Arrow,a sister ship in 1957-58.
At that time both of them had the older type bridge/accomodation centrecastle.At some stage,after I left the company,this was removed and the bridge and all accomodation moved aft.I have a photograph of the ship in the original form.I have seen photographs of the modified ships but I can't remember where they were.

Regards
David E
Old 11th June 2008, 03:34

Hi, I was on 'Sylvan Arrow' for 4-5 months in late '62, early '63, but was very glad to get off. Lot of discontent between engineers etc. Blew a boiler up coming out of Venezeller and limped into Curacao, Dutch West Indies, for repairs. A 'Super' was flown out from London to take charge, and sailing orders then changed to go to home port, London, where all went either to another ship or home (I went home.) I rejoined the company in November, 1963 on the 'Mobil Acme'. Stayed on her to do a drydock, and conversion to a chemical carrier, in Japan, and finally paying off in Newcastle, UK, in Feb. 1965.
Anyone on the 'Acme' at that time, love to here from you and any photos.
Regards,
Aussieleckie
Old 12th June 2008, 01:46

Sylvan Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E View Post
No gen on the Sylvan Arrow.I was in the Royal Arrow,a sister ship in 1957-58.
At that time both of them had the older type bridge/accomodation centrecastle.At some stage,after I left the company,this was removed and the bridge and all accomodation moved aft.I have a photograph of the ship in the original form.I have seen photographs of the modified ships but I can't remember where they were.

Regards
David E
Hi David
I joined the Sylvan Arrow as an Engineer Cadet in September 1970 in Rotterdam and sailed to Skaramanga (Greece) for drydock. Up until Christmas we traded in the Medi mainly Banias or Tripoli to Naples with a couple of cargoes from Ras Lanuf.
On Dec 24 1970 we sailed from Naples for New York and discharged at Astoria. From then until June she traded all over the Caribbean to the U.S. East Coast and at Paulsboro she was sold.
I have very fond memories of that trip and if you are interested I can give you the ports visited during that period.
By the by, the Sylvan and the Royal were never converted as you mentioned and were both sold as midships tankers.
I think I have a photo of the Sylvan somewhere and will upload it when I find it.
Regards
John
Old 13th June 2008, 02:05

[QUOTE=John Morrow;223353]Hi David
I joined the Sylvan Arrow as an Engineer Cadet in September 1970 in Rotterdam and sailed to Skaramanga (Greece) for drydock. Up until Christmas we traded in the Medi mainly Banias or Tripoli to Naples with a couple of cargoes from Ras Lanuf.
On Dec 24 1970 we sailed from Naples for New York and discharged at Astoria. From then until June she traded all over the Caribbean to the U.S. East Coast and at Paulsboro she was sold.
I have very fond memories of that trip and if you are interested I can give you the ports visited during that period.
By the by, the Sylvan and the Royal were never converted as you mentioned and were both sold as midships tankers.
I think I have a photo of the Sylvan somewhere and will upload it when I find it.
Regards
John[/QUOTE

John,
Yes,you are right. I was confusing the second Royal and Sylvan Arrows that we sailed on with the third generation ships that followed.The next Sylvan was built as the Mobil Challenger in 1983, renamed Sylvan Arrow in 1992,sold to Greek/Sun Enterprises in 2001-renamed Achilleus and is still afloat.
You can find the history and photographs of the whole Mobil fleet on Mobil Ships and Tugs (via Google) or www.aukevisser.nl/others/id485.htm.

I have very happy memories of the Royal.Both ships were originally built for an Edinburgh firm and were bought "on the stocks" by Mobil.Consequently the accomodation was far better than the all metal accomodation in the mainly Bethlehem Steel ships that made up most of the UK fleet in the '50s.They were both British flagged then.

We were on a fairly regular round the world trip in the Royal : UK-Persian Gulf-Singapore for mail etc-Pacific-to either Bellingham or Huntingdon Beach.After discharging the crude we normally went in Ballast through Panama to Aruba:loaded heavy fuel for Santa Cruz in the Canaries:discharged that-then back to the Gulf and start again.

We did not carry cadets at that time-they arrived two or three years later with the development of the modern training system.On the deck side we did three or four years as Cadets or Apprentices before the 2M ticket,then 18 months watchkeeping to 1M an a final 18 months before you could sit for your Masters FG cert.

Regards

David E
Old 17th June 2008, 21:39

Quote:
Hi,
Before leaving on my trip, found attached photo of Engineers on Stanvac Mariner, 1961-1962. I can only remember (written on back of photo) nicknames or first names.
From left to right -
'Geordie' - 5th eng; Ted - 3rd eng; 'Knocker' - 4th eng; Harry (without shirt) - 2nd eng; Eric - 5th eng; and finally, the Chief eng.
I spent 13 months on her and on board for some time after it was sold to South Africa. Had Zulu crew and all English officers relieved by Africaans guys.
The Leckie that finally relieved me name was Axel Axelson; I wonder how he fared??
Not too sure, but think the 3rd Eng. is my old pal Ted McFadden, the only Scotsman with a dual nationality, he was born in the States.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:50

The Captain of the Sylvan Arrow when sold in Paulsboro was a Pole. Surname beginning with P. I was Master on a Bulk Class tanker at La Salina where she loaded prior to the sale at Paulsboro.............Pavlovich????????
Old 17th June 2008, 23:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Stanvac Mariner

Her regular trade from new was PG / Durban and PG /Melbourne with occasional side trips to Japan, UK and elsewhere. Put under SA flag mainly for political purposes but same management. I know they put a couple of SA cadets on her but most or at least many of the officers remained British. All still employed out of the UK by Stanvac. Went to Mobil at the time of the Stanvac dismemberment. Trade remained essentially the same but then they- in their infinite wisdom - started running her into the US where in the words of one of the Durban Mobil men involved with her the ´Zulus started picking up bad habits and ideas from the local blacks....´

That I believe was why she went back to UK flag.
Old 19th June 2008, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K.. View Post
Not too sure, but think the 3rd Eng. is my old pal Ted McFadden, the only Scotsman with a dual nationality, he was born in the States.
Hi Peter You are quite correct. You have jogged my memory; it definitely was Ted Mc.Fadden, a great guy. If he is still around, ask him about the mad leckie that used to put him 'on call' by playing the trumpet (until it mysteriously dissappeared.) Many great memories and would like to get in touch.
Aussieleckie
Old 19th June 2008, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Her regular trade from new was PG / Durban and PG /Melbourne with occasional side trips to Japan, UK and elsewhere. Put under SA flag mainly for political purposes but same management. I know they put a couple of SA cadets on her but most or at least many of the officers remained British. All still employed out of the UK by Stanvac. Went to Mobil at the time of the Stanvac dismemberment. Trade remained essentially the same but then they- in their infinite wisdom - started running her into the US where in the words of one of the Durban Mobil men involved with her the ´Zulus started picking up bad habits and ideas from the local blacks....´

That I believe was why she went back to UK flag.

Hi Cisco, I did about 8 trips with her under the SA Flag and was about the last 'British' engineer to leave. Chief was from Johannesburg, nicknamed 'Meally Pete' - surname was Peterson. Didn't want me to go until the relieving leckie could parallel up the generators at first attempt - (took a while.)
Aussieleckie
Old 19th June 2008, 14:21
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Hi Cisco, I did about 8 trips with her under the SA Flag and was about the last 'British' engineer to leave. Chief was from Johannesburg, nicknamed 'Meally Pete' - surname was Peterson. Didn't want me to go until the relieving leckie could parallel up the generators at first attempt - (took a while.)
Aussieleckie
I stand corrected... last time I had anything to do with her was late 62 and can´t remember any of the engineers. Maybe it was like Safmarine.. lots of South African engineers from the railway workshops but thinner on the ground in the deck department.

My father was regular master of SV Mariner from 1959 until early 63.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:54

Quote:
Hi Peter You are quite correct. You have jogged my memory; it definitely was Ted Mc.Fadden, a great guy. If he is still around, ask him about the mad leckie that used to put him 'on call' by playing the trumpet (until it mysteriously dissappeared.) Many great memories and would like to get in touch.
Aussieleckie
Was with Stanvac/Mobil 1956/66. Sailed with Ted twice, last saw him when I relieved him on the Stanvac Horizon. Sorry I don't have any follow up address.

Did you by any chance sail on the "Progress"?? I was on her when we took over from the Germans in Sasebo and took her down to trade on the Aussie coast, Chief Eng. at the time was J. Robertson Kidd, better known as "Jimmy the kid", sadly paid off in Adelaide and did not sail again. He was relieved by Tony Vost. I also left her in Adelaide a couple of months later and joined the Radiant in Melbourne, after she had limped in with a burned out boiler.
If ever you do hear from Ted, ask him if he remembers P.K. and Digger, from his time on the South Africa.
Cheers for now.
Old 21st July 2008, 07:12

Hi Peter.... I was in Sasebo on the Mobil Acme, drydock and conversion, when the 'Progress' was being fitted out for the Aussie coast - probably met you but didn't know. That was in 1964 - was there from Oct to end Dec. The 2nd and I only ones kept on ; others sent home or to another ship. We sailed for Yokohama, then to Newcastle (UK) where I paid off, never to return. (Got married and wife thro' out the anchors!!!)
I now live in Adelaide, and setting off next week for trip up Nth Queensland for 3 months.
Aussieleckie
Old 25th July 2008, 12:34

Quote:
Hi Peter.... I was in Sasebo on the Mobil Acme, drydock and conversion, when the 'Progress' was being fitted out for the Aussie coast - probably met you but didn't know. That was in 1964 - was there from Oct to end Dec. The 2nd and I only ones kept on ; others sent home or to another ship. We sailed for Yokohama, then to Newcastle (UK) where I paid off, never to return. (Got married and wife thro' out the anchors!!!)
I now live in Adelaide, and setting off next week for trip up Nth Queensland for 3 months.
Aussieleckie
Many happy memories of the Aussie coast, was actually in Adelaide when my daughter was born, did toy with the idea of calling her Adel, but opted for Kim Linda. Don't ask why, but I think Kim Novak was number one pin-up at the time.
Have fun in Queensland.
Cheers, Peter.
p.s. Newcastle is my "home" port.
Old 24th October 2008, 05:12

I have a photo of the Mariner on her second voyage approaching Gellibrandt Pier Melbourne in 1957. Would you like a copy?
Old 24th October 2008, 09:14

First Trip

Hi,

I saw a reference to the 'Tranny' arriving in New Orleans on 18 October 1977 above (Roger Jordan)

I had the pleasure of joining her further up the river (St. James) shortly afterwards for my first trip as Deck Cadet with Mobil. Had a very happy trip 'lightering' VLCCs (such as the Mobil Eagle) in the Gulf of Mexico with other ship such as the Mobil energy and the Mobil Vigliant.

Paid off in early 1978 in Gibralter as she was (sadly) on her way the Taiwan to be beached and scapped (though think she picked up a cargo or two en-route).

Don't think the US Coast Guard appreciated her charms (such as one or two 'small' leaks!)

Always remember a plaque on the bridge which stated that 'constant viglilance is the price of good navigation', which I often bring to mind even today.

Imperator1300
Old 27th October 2008, 01:37

Quote:
Hi,
From left to right -
Gee it's a small world allright. Ted was the first person I went on watch with in 1956 when I joined the India at Bahrein.He was 4/E.The Chief was Gladstone (Jollyrocks) and the 2/E Patrick Docherty(ex RN)
Old 27th October 2008, 03:00
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1991

Quote:
Aussieleckie
Hi Aussieleckie,
I joined the Acme in Sasebo on Xmas Eve 1964. She was my first deep-sea solo voyage as R/O. I'm desperately searching for the Xmas Day Lunch menu which I kept as a souvenir and as I recall had everyone's name written on it. Sods Law - I thought I knew where it was but it isn't there. I'm at the wrong end of life for remembering names, but I do remember a well-oiled run ashore down town Sasebo with you and a few others - a magic experience for a raw 19 year old, first time in Japan.. The other Aussie onboard was a
4th or 5th Engineer Ron Norton from Melbourne. We're still exchanging Xmas Cards and the odd letter after all these years. The Skipper was Graham Thompson who took us through the Tyne piers in very heavy weather, bit of a white knuckle ride up to Jarrow, pilot boarding just before we got there!!! You must have signed off 14th February South Shields.
Will have another dig for those names. Manwhile I have photos of the Acme and Mobil Transporter ex Stanvac Mariner if anyone on this thread is interested.

Regards Gary
Old 3rd November 2008, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K.. View Post
Was with Stanvac/Mobil 1956/66. Sailed with Ted twice, last saw him when I relieved him on the Stanvac Horizon. Sorry I don't have any follow up address.

Did you by any chance sail on the "Progress"?? I was on her when we took over from the Germans in Sasebo and took her down to trade on the Aussie coast, Chief Eng. at the time was J. Robertson Kidd, better known as "Jimmy the kid", sadly paid off in Adelaide and did not sail again. He was relieved by Tony Vost. I also left her in Adelaide a couple of months later and joined the Radiant in Melbourne, after she had limped in with a burned out boiler.
If ever you do hear from Ted, ask him if he remembers P.K. and Digger, from his time on the South Africa.
Cheers for now.
Hi Peter K - Apologise for not getting back sooner but been driving around Aus. for 13 weeks.
Didn't sail on the 'Progress' but was with some of the guys in Sasebo during refit in '64. I was leckie on the Mobil Acme at the time and was there during refit to chemical carrier.
Have met Chief's Kidd and Tony Vost.
Haven't heard from Ted Mc Fadden but would like to if he's still around. Only shipmate I regularly keep in contact with is 2nd I sailed with in 'Stanvac Mariner', and 'Sylvan Arrow' ; Ian Sharpe, we go back a long way.
Cheers for now :- Doug Fitzgerald aussieleckie
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:19
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Aussieleckie
Ahoy Doug,
Here a few shots of the required vessels:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanvac Mariner(Medium).jpg (86.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Stanvac Mariner-a(Medium).jpg (53.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Sylvan Arrow1955 (Medium).jpg (79.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Mobil Acme1960 (Medium).jpg (57.9 KB, 57 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:01

Does anyone have any pictures of the Stanvac Mariner (Mobil Transporter) after being converted into an OBO?