Stephenson Clarke Vessels - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stephenson Clarke Vessels

User Tag List

Old 10th August 2008, 16:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1988

I spent 16 years as an engineer with stevies,started with the maplehurst,midhurst,ashurst,portslade,pulborough,d onnington,dallington,ashington,aldrington,gem and finally emerald,left in 1989 due to motorbike crash.It was a good company,I enjoyed it. Regards to all
George
Old 11th August 2008, 04:21

I sailed on the Wadhurst, end of 1973, my 1st voyage as Chief Cook had just got my Chief Cook's ticket at the Cooks School Leman Street.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:19

Hi following a sea going career I was employed as a ship repair manager with Mid Tyne Shiprepair Company (then part of the Anglo Swedish Group). We did running repairs at Dunston, Jarrow, etc Normally grab damage and normally out of hours, the sup't I remember was Alex Costello

Regards
Bob
Old 1st December 2008, 21:54

Seen Dallington last month & spoke over the VHF I was surprised to hear that everyone onboard are Polish. So much for the oldest British Shipping Co. but this is happening in every 'British' Co.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:01

Some interesting names and memories jogged by the list of office staff.

I joined the Stephenson Clarke office staff in 1962 and spent 5 years with them. I joined the Blyth office under the management of Ronnie Campbell where I started as a general agency assistant. Spent a considerable time on the river looking after the owned, managed and agency vessels. Got to know many of the masters.

After a couple of years I was moved to the agency department in Newcastle office who were then under the management of Arthur Coates and Ken Cowey. Also filled in from time to time in the shipmanagement department. I remember their records were in a mess at that time. Made some trips on the Ballyrory during my time with the company. During my time in Newcastle the company was becoming involved in the North Sea oil industry and were running Total's operations out of Jackson Dock, West Hartlepool. I moved to Aberdeen for three months whilst Total drilled a well in the Moray Firth returning to Newcastle before deciding to seek opportunities elsewhere. Eventually returned to Aberdeen where I was a major shareholder in a shipbroking company. Now semi retired.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:50

Was the Ashington not the ship fitted with those experimental sails?
Did my last ten month at sea on SCs Findon in 63. Good little number and it was a great novelty to get home every week after years deep sea.
And does anybody remember SCs Cleveland? Once did a six month round the world trip on her. but no one else seems to remember her.
Cheers from a snowy North East. Albi
Old 5th December 2008, 09:24

i was on the shoreham in the early 70's i believe she was wrecked somwhere off the welsh coast but not sure.If anyone has definate info it would be appreciated and or photos of the old girl
Old 5th December 2008, 11:28

My location
Welcome aboard, Roebuck.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the trip.
The 1957 Shoreham was broken up at Strood in 1979
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/224019
The 1914 Shoreham was wrecked off Trevose Head
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/165326
Don't know if these are the right ones.

Last edited by K urgess; 5th December 2008 at 11:30..
Old 5th December 2008, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Bishop View Post
Was the Ashington not the ship fitted with those experimental sails?
Did my last ten month at sea on SCs Findon in 63. Good little number and it was a great novelty to get home every week after years deep sea.
And does anybody remember SCs Cleveland? Once did a six month round the world trip on her. but no one else seems to remember her.
Cheers from a snowy North East. Albi
They were Walker Wind Sails and comprised a venetian blind type structural frame mounted near the funnel. The structure could be turned to the wind and the slats adjusted as required. My company were involved changing one of the bearings at Blyth. I believe the sail averaged an extra half knot when correctly deployed. The sail was not considered viable. It may be worth having another look in the new "green world", its not hard to see tankers and bulkers with 5 or 6 hydraulically operated sail banks on deck

Regards

Bob
Old 7th December 2008, 18:53

Albert the Cleveland was built 1958 by Gray and sold 1964 Name changed to Venice. Broken up 1980's Info from Black Diamond Fleets by Norman L Middlemiss
Old 8th December 2008, 11:28
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Monty and Albert,
They also had Gilsland and Blanchland both deep sea tramps, also built Grays. I was 'lecky on the Blanchland from November '64 until May '69. She had Clarke Chapman winches which were a nightmare, but great crowd. Happy days long gone!
Regards. Les
Old 8th December 2008, 11:59
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkenn View Post
The Northumbrian Water is still running from the Tyne.

More so the Wear

I took this one earlier this summer of her leaving the Tyne. It was nice to see a ship moving from the river. It was the first time in about five visits.
I visit the Tyne regularly and can assure you its still a working river with plenty of traffic. Although it will never return to its heyday due to no coal and the increase in containerisation.
Regards Derrick
Old 9th December 2008, 09:58

Thanks for the feedback all. The Ashington was a bit after my time but I often saw her off the Tyne, I had heard that the sail system was no great success. Remember the others quite well, and when I joined the Findon I expected the odd run across to the lakes or continent, but I think by then she was settled on the coal run. I agree with Quietman, the Tyne is now pretty busy, but most of the traffic seems to be car transporters.
Cheers, Albi.
Old 14th December 2008, 18:33

I spent the best part of five years on the "Ashington",as 3rd/2nd engineer.
Probaly the best ship i was ever on,i stood by it during building.I left before the sails arrived.Joe Johnston "r.i.p" was the old man,Bill Dowie & Roland Sistersen were mostly the chief engineers,Willy Adamson 3rd engineer ,Pat Cairns the chief steward and Alec Costello was our engineering super.

Regards,George
Old 15th December 2008, 10:29
Active: 1973 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetune View Post
I spent the best part of five years on the "Ashington",as 3rd/2nd engineer.
Probaly the best ship i was ever on,i stood by it during building.I left before the sails arrived.Joe Johnston "r.i.p" was the old man,Bill Dowie & Roland Sistersen were mostly the chief engineers,Willy Adamson 3rd engineer ,Pat Cairns the chief steward and Alec Costello was our engineering super.

Regards,George
Our paths have probably crossed then. I joined her in Sunderland late july 79. Left her in Blyth after falling and breaking a wrist. Can't remember any names although the cheif steward I was on with lived in Cleadon. One of the stewards was called Vic AkA Elvis (picture of him in my gallery) he was from South Shields. The oldman at the time had a passing resrmblance to Elton John.
Regards Derrick
Old 15th December 2008, 19:27

Billy Adamson still going good out in Dubai. Anyone remember Capt. Gordon Paine?
Old 16th December 2008, 20:10

Derrick ,the oldman you had in mind was probaly Dickie Atkinson,came from Dublin but lived in the north east.

Pat,im glad Billy is still going strong,we sailed together on the Ashington for years.
I sailed on a few ships with Gordon Paine,the Donnington and of course the Ashington spring to mind. Like Billy Adamson and Dickie Atkinson, i was always glad to see Gordon joining. Regards George
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:32
Madbob
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
Happy New Year to all at SN: Have followed the Collier/SC dialogue for a while which brought back a lot of memories. Can anyone help with some pics of some of my old vessels in particular the "Emsworth" (65), the 'Thomas Hardie" (64) "Mitcham" (65) "Charles Parsons" (64) ? These are the missing links, other vessels are covered pretty well.
Many thanks.
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:55
Organisation: Tugs

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I wondered if anybody remembered the 'flatties' ?

I sailed as a sparky on the 'Horsham' in 1970, (they were just of that size that required a sparky from Marconi, although I have to admit, there wasn't a lot for a sparky to do). We sailed mainly from the Northeast to the Thames with coal, but occasionally got a run to Amsterdam to load grain off a big bulk carrier. They looked like a big canal barge, and were most amazing tough little ships.

I did a few good pubs in South Shields in those days .....
My father was a tug skipper for a company called River Lighterage on the Thames. River Lighterage was I believe owned by Stevie Clarke.

I remember the flat irons well(that's what we Lightermen called flatties).

Actually one of them ran down the barges we were towing back in 1960.

I also remember sitting in my dad's wheelbox as a kid and working up through the bridges. The pilots on the flat irons would come out on to the bridge wings as they came down from Fulham etc and let him know how many more were still to come.
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:03
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbob View Post
Happy New Year to all at SN: Have followed the Collier/SC dialogue for a while which brought back a lot of memories. Can anyone help with some pics of some of my old vessels in particular the "Emsworth" (65), the 'Thomas Hardie" (64) "Mitcham" (65) "Charles Parsons" (64) ? These are the missing links, other vessels are covered pretty well.
Many thanks.
Ahoy Bob,
I'm not sure if these are the requested pica,but just give it a try:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emsworth1950-©Iain Lovie (Medium).jpg (48.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Charles Parsons1936 (Medium).jpg (47.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Mitcham1946-1969 (Medium).jpg (47.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg THOMAS HARDIE1950-A.Duncan (Medium).jpg (37.4 KB, 77 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 4th January 2009, 07:59
Madbob
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
RUUD - many thanks for your response, just the job ! Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Old 13th February 2009, 21:35

S/C Personnel got in touch with me a couple of years ago through Friends Reunited - they'd found some publicity photos from my time as 2nd Mate on Donnington and Washington in '79/80. Great to have them although I hardly recognised myself.

Was a real shock joining my first coaster (all 12000 tonnes dwt) and doing 5 on/5 off bridge watchkeeping after being deep-sea (especially when the 5 off was usually interrupted by mooring, anchoring, or shifting ship somewhere). Mostly did the coal trade from Blyth, Jarrow, and Sunderland, down to Thames or Medway, but did have a couple of trips across to Rouen, Caen and Rotterdam. I remember Cape Race being in Blyth at same time as I was there on one of S/C's ships - I'd served my cadetship with SSM and had done one trip on her to Blyth with alumina from Paranam and Port Esquivel.

Sailed with some decent folk at S/C - Captain Gordon Payne being one of many.
Old 15th February 2009, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetune View Post
Derrick ,the oldman you had in mind was probaly Dickie Atkinson,came from Dublin but lived in the north east.

Pat,im glad Billy is still going strong,we sailed together on the Ashington for years.
I sailed on a few ships with Gordon Paine,the Donnington and of course the Ashington spring to mind. Like Billy Adamson and Dickie Atkinson, i was always glad to see Gordon joining. Regards George
Billy is doing very well, now out in Baku as engineering superintendent, he must be good to work for. I'll see him in a couple of weeks when I get home on leave & I'll send him your regards. Aye, Gordon was a true gent hey? He had a good sense when a woman was on board too, never failed to amuse me when he would appear in my cabin introducing himself to my girlfriend & getting me to check the moorings & gangway while he had a bevvy & entertained my GF with some sea yarn Great bloke
Old 24th March 2009, 23:36

hello anyone know anything about a ship called Sir Archibald Page, or any of the crew back in the 1960's. My dad served as 1st mate on this ship. Pete Wagner, of Hornsea East Yorkshire. Anything... Steve Wagner
Old 27th March 2009, 18:26

I remember the Sir Archibald Page and Peter Wagner. Came from Hornsea or somewhere in that area if I remember correctly. I worked in the Stephenson Clarke office in Blyth. They were the managers and the agents of the vessel. Could not say that I knew him well but he was often in the office when the vessel was in Blyth. Captain Johnstone in mentioned in these pages.