HullGate Shipping Company - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HullGate Shipping Company

User Tag List

Old 20th January 2018, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy View Post
I remember the 'Royalgate' coming into Castletown(IOM) with containers for Ronagency from Glasson Dock. Also the Northgate, Kingsgate, and the Wellowgate. I often wondered what the connection was between Hullgates, and Ronagency, as apart from the Northgate, the other vessels didn't seem suitable for containers.
I live in wrrenpoint the Northgat eplied beteen Warrenpoint and Garston crrying containers for irish Sea ferries i was the oily rag whilst on school holidays Captain Keith Fox
Old 16th September 2018, 09:55

Greetings, Henry Edmunds. I have not seen you for more than forty years. I notice that this post is nearly one year old so hope that you are still posting. I worked at Castletown and remember my days there with great fondness. I still have 8mm film of the Duchess being pulled up into Ramsey Shipyard, but I'm blowed if I can remember why it was worked on. Perhaps a sevice? Anway, I have often wondered how many of the old gang are still about. Malcom Grace, Don Ritches (Royalgate), George O'Brien (Northgate). It was a pleasant surprise to see your name. Hope you are fit and well
Cheers
Dave Wallace.
Old 16th September 2018, 14:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1949 - 2000

Hello Dave Wallace,
Indeed, a very nice blast from the past. Your name I remember but Iím desperately trying to put a face to it.
The Duchess did an official dry docking in Ramsey, best dry dock I was ever in.
Our boss, Ted Dedman was chuffed with the very reasonable and itemised bill he received, even the number of welding rods used was noted.
Brian Samuels from Glasson who was with us on the Duchess, is Harbour Master / Pilot at Glasson, has been there for years doing different things, I hear from him a few times a year.. I donít know of anyone else from those days still around, all would be long in the tooth, if they have any!!!!!!!
Iím as well as can be expected, taking pills and capsules which keep me ticking over.
I hope you are in good health.
All the best, Henry Edmunds.
Old 18th September 2018, 11:59

Hi Henry, nice to hear from you. I was right hand to Alan Welding in the main office at Castletown and used to organise a lot of things required by the vessels. I cannot remember if it was you or Malcolm who had a gearbox breakdown and a lad had to come from Rotterdam. I think that the company name was Bravo and I had to find him at the airport. I do remember his name was Jan Knoester. I found him and it was sorted. Some names stick in my mind and others disappear like morning fog. I used to have a small boat and remember fishing off Langness Lighthouse, seeing you coming out of Castletown, steaming straight over to me and passing down a mug of tea. Very welcome and the cup was returned to you two days later upon your return.
I do remember your love of Glenfiddich, your old friend 'Colonel' Jack Sherman and that lovely boat he had. I don't remember Brian but then I only went to Glasson dock once or twice, cadging a lift on the Nortgate and the Royalgate. My email address is [email protected] and if you like, I'll send you a pic of my family. When you started the run, I had twins (1 of each) and they are now 46. I didn't keep in touch with any of the Ronagency gang but have kept my eye on local news since then. Nothing changes very much but I like to read the obituary notices to see if I'm in them. I don't get onto this site all of the time which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see your post. I dare say we've both been through so very much in the past 40+ years and perhaps our reminiscences should be moved to private email. Cheers