Melbourne tugs - Ships Nostalgia
08:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Melbourne tugs

User Tag List

Old 30th March 2008, 04:34

Melbourne tugs

As a new member (yesterday), i attached a photo of the former Melbourne tug 'James Paterson' to my introductory post - just to see if I could - as hot oil and steam are more my thing than computers.

Anyway, it appears that I succeeded and it has been suggested that I attach the same photo to a post in the Tug forum which I will now do.

All I know is that this tug was an icon in the Port of Melbourne between about 1900 and 1960 and sadly I witnessed its scrapping at South Wharf on the Yarra in the 1960s (?).

Also attached is a photo of another Melbourne steam tug 'Tooronga' also from the 1960s (?).

Two other 'big' steam tugs that I remember in Melbourne from about this time were 'Batman' and 'Howard Smith/Melbourne'. The latter was sunk off Williamstown but I would appreciate a lead to or any comments members may have as to any of these vessels, please.

Regards
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tooronga_crop.jpg (86.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg James Paterson_2.jpg (84.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 30th March 2008, 11:44

Hi
a little info for you

JAMES PATERSON
ON 101744
247 GRT, 6 NRT, 131.5'x25.4'x12.5'
3cyl TE by shipbuilder, 155nhp single screw callsign VLFM

1902: Built J.P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields.
9-1902 Delivered to James Paterson & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne.

1960? Scrapped?

BATMAN
Salvage tug/Fireboat
ON 196731
Built 1954 by Mort's Dock and Eng Co., Sydney. 432 GRT, 59 NRT, 138'8"x33'6"x15'3" 3cyl TE by shipbuilder, oil fired, 1180ihp callsign VMYG

10-1954 Delivered to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd [Managers Howard Smith]
1966: still in service
fate unknown
--------------------------------

regards
TUG

Last edited by tug; 30th March 2008 at 11:50..
Old 5th April 2008, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
Hi
a little info for you

JAMES PATERSON
ON 101744
247 GRT, 6 NRT, 131.5'x25.4'x12.5'
3cyl TE by shipbuilder, 155nhp single screw callsign VLFM

1902: Built J.P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields.
9-1902 Delivered to James Paterson & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne.

1960? Scrapped?

BATMAN
Salvage tug/Fireboat
ON 196731
Built 1954 by Mort's Dock and Eng Co., Sydney. 432 GRT, 59 NRT, 138'8"x33'6"x15'3" 3cyl TE by shipbuilder, oil fired, 1180ihp callsign VMYG

10-1954 Delivered to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd [Managers Howard Smith]
1966: still in service
fate unknown
--------------------------------

regards
TUG
Many thanks Tug. 'Batman' was always my favourite as the last new steam vessel in Melbourne. It always looked smart and its unique colours were always well turned out. By this time JP was nearly 60 years old and despite being a Melbourne legend was not preserved.
Old 9th October 2010, 19:25
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Medical
Active: 2010 - 2010

The "Patterson"

As the grandson of the skipper of the Batman and James Patterson I was fortunate to have indellibly implanted in my memory the smell of hot oil and steam.
Now at the age of 58 I am building a replica Tug to reclaim those nostalgic memories and hopefully pass them on to grandchildren.
I will attempt to post photos of these great Tugs.
Old 9th October 2010, 21:23

The recent publication (ISBN 978 0 646 51642 4) Of Full Steam & Taut Hawsers - The Tugs of Williamstown by Geoff Dougall, a 3rd generation Williamstown resident, is well worth seeking out as it fully details the tugs, and with great affection. Plus other images of BATMAN and JAMES PATERSON are in the Dredgers/Tugs/Harbour Craft section of the Ships Nostalgia Gallery.

Last edited by BR_Reef; 9th October 2010 at 21:28..
Old 9th October 2010, 22:37
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Medical
Active: 2010 - 2010

Thanks for the name of the Publication. I will collect and enjoy it.
Gary.
Old 12th July 2013, 00:57

My father used to film arrivals and departures on 16mm colour movie film and I have some footage of both the Tooronga and the James Patterson. I'm about to have some footage converted to video. Where could I post a copy?
Old 24th November 2013, 23:23

"Howard Smith/Melbourne" sinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
As a new member (yesterday), i attached a photo of the former Melbourne tug 'James Paterson' to my introductory post - just to see if I could - as hot oil and steam are more my thing than computers.

Anyway, it appears that I succeeded and it has been suggested that I attach the same photo to a post in the Tug forum which I will now do.

All I know is that this tug was an icon in the Port of Melbourne between about 1900 and 1960 and sadly I witnessed its scrapping at South Wharf on the Yarra in the 1960s (?).

Also attached is a photo of another Melbourne steam tug 'Tooronga' also from the 1960s (?).

Two other 'big' steam tugs that I remember in Melbourne from about this time were 'Batman' and 'Howard Smith/Melbourne'. The latter was sunk off Williamstown but I would appreciate a lead to or any comments members may have as to any of these vessels, please.

Regards
Geoff
Hi. Was the "Howard Smith/Melbourne" sunk in a collision with a container ship, circa 1971? My father's Orient Line wartime shipmate Bill "Mickey" Corns, was drowned in a tug accident around that time.
Alan Knight.
Old 25th November 2013, 23:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Yes, she was sunk on 9th August 1972 when assisting the liner ' Nieuw Holland'.
The engineer was lost. The wreck was raised and was in Victoria Dock for some time thereafter. Photo here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...bourne/cat/523
Old 26th November 2013, 04:12

My location
Yes she got tripped under the bow if I recall. Very sad and tragic event.

James Patterson looks very like Wyola also built in South Shields circa 1913. Finally scrapped in 1970......I worked her as Master on her final day. She was on Collie brown coal by then and took a long time to warm through even though it was summer.

There was no choice as all the Newcastle coal stocks had been used up.
I really must try and dig out those old photo's.........
Old 1st January 2014, 06:15

My father, J.W Walsh (W2242) was a RAN stoker during WW2 and was part of a crew of 12 on ST Tooronga when she towed the coal hulk 'Rona' (ex-Polly Woodside) from Melbourne to Cairns in October-November 1943.
Old 7th January 2014, 10:01
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1974

The fate of the tug Melbourne (Howard Smith)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Yes, she was sunk on 9th August 1972 when assisting the liner ' Nieuw Holland'.
The engineer was lost. The wreck was raised and was in Victoria Dock for some time thereafter. Photo here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...bourne/cat/523
The Melbourne was refloated in 1973 and then partially stripped at one of the wharves in Melbourne In 1979 It was sunk off Moreton Island near Brisbane to form part of the Curtin Reef near Tangalooma. Today it is popular dive site for scuba divers

A link to the dive site is as follows
http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au...CritterID=7414
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melbourne Howard smith curtin reef.jpg (221.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 14th January 2014, 00:15
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day ym-mundrabilla.30th march,2008,13:34,re:melbourne tugs.i have been reading this old thread.your post#1 shows the thumbnails of the tugs,great photo.thanks for posting regards ben27
Old 14th January 2014, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighta View Post
Hi. Was the "Howard Smith/Melbourne" sunk in a collision with a container ship, circa 1971? My father's Orient Line wartime shipmate Bill "Mickey" Corns, was drowned in a tug accident around that time.
Alan Knight.
Yes William Corns was the cook and he was killed alongside Robert booth chief engineer, Robert Ryan greaser, George Boneham greaser, and Alex McDonald greaser. It looks like all below deck crew were killed and with the subsequent damage to the hull probably the boilers blew up
Here are a couple of links to the "Age newspaper at the time

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4906,2093023

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1080,1883736
Old 23rd January 2014, 02:05
Active: 1961 - 1982

"Howard Smith/Melbourne" was salvaged by the renowned dive-salvor Joe Engwirda of Brisbane and towed back to Brisbane. She lay for many years at the old customs house wharf before being scuttled at Curtain Reef.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:03
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Fishing

Hi Gary, what a great connection for you.
My great grandfather supervised the building of many steam ships for Huddart Parker Line. From what I understand the James Patterson was also built under his direction. At the end of its working career our family was invited and spent a few hours on the James Patterson including towing one ship. It was a fantastic experience. We had a look through a 'modern' tug moored next door but I thought it was boring in comparison. Maybe it was your grandfather who hosted our visit.
How are those models coming along. I would love to see them?
Cheers. Bruce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stewart View Post
As the grandson of the skipper of the Batman and James Patterson I was fortunate to have indellibly implanted in my memory the smell of hot oil and steam.
Now at the age of 58 I am building a replica Tug to reclaim those nostalgic memories and hopefully pass them on to grandchildren.
I will attempt to post photos of these great Tugs.
Old 30th May 2016, 03:07

James Patterson

Hi there.
Did you manage to upload any James Pattterson footage? I would love to see it as I have a strong family connection.
Cheers. Bruce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_s View Post
My father used to film arrivals and departures on 16mm colour movie film and I have some footage of both the Tooronga and the James Patterson. I'm about to have some footage converted to video. Where could I post a copy?
Old 30th May 2016, 03:17

Scrapping of James Patterson tug.

Hi there.
Re James Patterson. My recollection was that the James Patterson sat in one spot for a couple of years before being stripped, then the hull or whatever remained was towed out and sunk?
Do you recall that?
Cheers. Bruce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post

Regards
Geoff
Old 13th February 2019, 00:28

James Patterson and Howard Smith

James Patterson was seemingly removed from the tug fleet Aug 17th 1963 but I can remember seeing her around the port much later and one person tells me he saw her in 1969 but cannot confirm
Howard Smith renamed Melbourne was struck by a container ship off the Gellibrand light in Port Phillip Bay and sank when her boilers blew with the loss of 5 crew from below decks She was eventually refloated and ended up as part of the man made reef of Moreton Island in Queensland as a diving attraction
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/5538...63_the_age_re/

Last edited by Sandy McLean; 13th February 2019 at 04:37..