HMS Fittleton anniversary - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Fittleton anniversary

User Tag List

Old 15th July 2018, 17:53

Patrick Quantrill died in my place

This was to have been my qualifying trip as an LRO (Q) with Phil Barber, who taught me morse, putting his feet up while I did all the work but ICL would not allow to go because it was coming up to Company year end and my staff were collecting the biggest debts. Patrick (who I had met on course) and Phil were in the radio office and did not stand a chance. Dave Skinner was on the bridge and unlucky. I was told his foot was tangled in a cable when she went over. I heard all the versions of what happened and did not resist when my fiance insisted I resign from the RNR - although I should have listened to the Captain of HMS President who wanted me to become one of his training lieutenants. Much of my subsequent life has been concerned with professional skills (including disciplinary hearings). Last year I bought a copy of the record of the court of enquiry. It called for follow up disciplinary actions. The reasons these did not happen may be apparent to those who read all the entries in this thread- although I was most intrigued by the claim that ACR was not actually on board HMS Mermaid. If so, who was issuing the orders that led to what happened? I respect the need to avoid mere witch hunts but if we do not seek and publicise the truth how can we ensure that future generations of regular officer do not make similar mistakes when maneuvering with much smaller vessels.
Old 29th July 2018, 03:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

I was an R/O2 in Sussex Div'n. RNR from 1969 to 1974 when I then emigrated to New Zealand. I had the original of the attached photo from one of our summer 'cruises' and a couple of cap tallies, one of "H.M.S. Curzon" and the other of "H.M.S. Sussex". On a trip back to the UK in 2008, my wife and I visited the church in Fittleton village where there is a visitors book - I left the photo original and my cap tallies there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curzon crew sml.jpg (402.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 28th March 2019, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliget View Post
The casualties of the collision (all from the Fittleton). Two were killed instantly:

BARBER, Philip Henry, Chief Radio Supervisor, aged 38, married, Guildford, Surrey.
DONOHUE, K. C., Cook, a single man from Athelone, Co. Westmeath, Republic of Ireland (killed instantly).
GRENFELL, Christopher Ian, Sub-Lieutenant, aged 29, single, from Basildon, Essex.
HEWISON, Ian, Engineering Mechanic, aged 29, married, Standford-le-Hope, Essex.
HOEY, Gerald Wilson, a regular Royal Navy mechanical engineer, aged 17, Greenock.
MASSEY, Richard John, Radio Operator, single, Blackhall, Edinburgh.
NEWELL, Charles Michael Ernest, Electrician, aged 32, single, Brighton.
PILCH, Michael, Assistant Cook, aged 29, Primose Hill, London, and Chatsworth Road, Newhall, Burton-on-Trent.
PILGRIM, Frederick, Chief Petty Officer Cook, aged 45, a married man from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire (killed instantly).
QUANTRILL, Patrick Gerald, Radio Operator, aged 33, married, West-cliff-on-Sea, Essex.
SKINNER, David William John, Chief Yeoman, aged 34, married, Hull Bridge, Essex.
TURNER, Stanley Ronald, Mechanician, aged 51, married, Barnehurst, Kent.

regards,
Martin
I was a Pall Bearer at Fred Pilgrim's funeral.

Fittleton capsized with Mermaid before sinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fittleton_M1136_capsized_19760920_01.jpg (178.2 KB, 13 views)
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Last edited by limeybiker; 29th March 2019 at 00:04..