Stirling Shipping - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
05:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stirling Shipping

User Tag List

Old 13th June 2014, 02:23

Sorry to be the bearer of some very sad news, but I heard from the UK that Willie Lauchlan passed away on Monday 9 June.
Willie & Inge had moved from Dunoon to Perthshire, but I understand they had recently moved back to the West again....Largs I think.
My deepest sympathy and condolences go to Inge and the family.
David G
Old 14th June 2014, 15:36
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Goldthorp View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of some very sad news, but I heard from the UK that Willie Lauchlan passed away on Monday 9 June.
Willie & Inge had moved from Dunoon to Perthshire, but I understand they had recently moved back to the West again....Largs I think.
My deepest sympathy and condolences go to Inge and the family.
David G
Willies funeral is next Friday at the crematorium near Dreghorn Irvine .
He and Inge were close friends . He is sadly missed .He has a son Andrew and daughter Katrina and two grandchildren .
Old 13th July 2014, 21:11

Very sorry to hear of Willie's passing he was a very good engineering Supt / director ,
my condolences to his family

Capt T J Hunt

Last edited by trevor8869; 13th July 2014 at 21:13..
Old 20th July 2014, 20:14
Active: 1971 - Present

Just come across this thread, I worked for Stirling for a brief spell in 99, was on Spica with Simon Rawlinson and Derek Landels down below, Vince Kelly was skipper and Mike McKay was Mate I think, can't remember any others just now.
Came across Simon off W Africa pumping fuel to us from a Toisa boat and Derek is with Maersk now.
I went to Maersk after Stirling when I got paid off after they laid ships up as the oil price plumetted and had to go as last in first out, I was quite disappointed as I thoroughly enjoyed my short spell with Stirling, I have never experienced the same cameraderie since that time.
After 11 years at Maersk I moved on to Hartmann Offshore where I am now half way through my last trip, in August I start with Svitzer in Pembroke Dock as technical super so I'm hanging up my sea boots at last.
Best wishes to you all
Graham
Old 16th August 2014, 21:24

Stirling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymuir View Post
Was wondering if anyone had a photo of either of the "Stirling Ash" or "Stirling Cormorant" owned by the above co. a subsidiary of Harrisons of Clyde?
Many thanks.
Posted a couple in special craft section
Jim
Old 5th February 2015, 10:17

Hi All, I have the sad news that Hughie Miller passed away recently. Ian

Last edited by nicholls; 5th February 2015 at 10:21..
Old 4th March 2015, 19:09

Thanks for the info sorry to hear of Hughie 's passing he was a fine guy and good engineer my condolances go out to his family
Old 13th March 2017, 22:26
mac53

More Sad News

Sorry to report John Macfaddin long time Stirling Mate and latterly Master on the Dee & ESK before the went to Putford has passed away just a couple of weeks short of his 70th following a 3+ year battle with Prostate Cancer. Another great character lost.

Willie Mackay
Old 14th March 2017, 10:00
Active: 1971 - Present

Sorry to hear of Johns passing, I think he was our Mate on the opposite team on Spica, at such a young age as well.
Graham
Old 22nd March 2017, 16:47
Department: Deck

Only ever sailed with John once. He was Mate with my dad(Jim Whitley) for a long time. My dad never gave praise easily, but reckoned John was the best mate ever. Very sad to hear of his passing. Do you know if Dick Mean is still about ??

Jim Whitley Jnr(retired)
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:10
Department: Deck

Stirling shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac1953 View Post
Sorry to report John Macfaddin long time Stirling Mate and latterly Master on the Dee & ESK before the went to Putford has passed away just a couple of weeks short of his 70th following a 3+ year battle with Prostate Cancer. Another great character lost.

Willie Mackay
Very sorry to hear about John. Only sailed with him once, but my dad (who had him as Mate for a long time) reckoned he was the best ever, not a bad comment from my "old man". Is Dick Mean still about ??
Regards
Jim Whitley Jnr (retired)
Old 4th April 2018, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW View Post
Very sorry to hear about John. Only sailed with him once, but my dad (who had him as Mate for a long time) reckoned he was the best ever, not a bad comment from my "old man". Is Dick Mean still about ??
Regards
Jim Whitley Jnr (retired)
Regarding Dick Mean. I sailed with him on and off for over 10 years. We kept in touch after his retirement and would visit occasionally. Last heard he had gone out to Thailand and was living with his son Andy. This must have been sometime late 16 early 17. Not sure of the circumstances but our Christmas card was returned this year with Deceased across it. Think he made it into his 80s.
Jim Simpson.
Old 12th April 2018, 20:59

Hi anyone from Stirling still on this site
Old 20th April 2018, 20:55

Stirling Forum

Trevor
Does not look like it Trevor - all seem to have migrated to Facebook closed group 'An Even Curiouser Venture.' Still seem to be well visited with nearly 27000 hits, but no takers! Have sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor8869 View Post
Hi anyone from Stirling still on this site
Old 6th April 2019, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymuir View Post
Was wondering if anyone had a photo of either of the "Stirling Ash" or "Stirling Cormorant" owned by the above co. a subsidiary of Harrisons of Clyde?
Many thanks.
Yes I have many pictures of the stirling ash and other Stirling offshore vessels, I just cannot scan them as they are all rather large original pictures which I found in my fathers attic when I sorted it out a few month ago. I was wondering what to do with them and therefore did a search as I can imagine anyne who was connected with the comany would love to have them... If you have a FB page message me You can message me on my FB page with your contact details etc., If you want them??? Regards dodie FB Kenya Couk [email protected]