Fernie - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
19:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fernie

User Tag List

Old 7th November 2013, 09:41
Super Moderator

Steve

Firstly, on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

I have deleted your e-mail address as per site policy for your security. Members can contact you via the sites Private Message system. You can then disclose your e-mail address if you so wish.
Old 9th November 2013, 08:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1980

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieH4 View Post
Sailed on the MV Fernie, MV Opawa, & MV Jedforest in the early 70's. Twice round the world thanks to P&O BSD. I was then Steve Petch, Navigation Cadet.
I am now Steve Hunter due to personnel reasons and live in Sanya City Hainan China.
Hi Steve, I remember sailing with you on Fernie - joined in Rotterdam jan 1972 -sailed to tuberao, Brazil, then Kimitsu near Yokohama, then Dampier in Aussi where I got pissed with engineer cadet James MacGregor and almost jumped ship (fortunately we sobered up and realized a silly idea) then back to Rotterdam. I was a 1st trip junior R/O and usually beat you at table tennis in the room next door to the bar. According to my discharge book the old man was Capt. John V. Wallace, a very descent bloke from Kent.
I was with marconi and left a year later joining Safmarine then P & O passenger division for 2 years then more years freelancing, 9 years in total. Now retired and live in Devon.
Nice to see your name in print.
Best regards,
Gordon Bryson
Old 25th January 2019, 17:24
Department: Navigation
Active: 1973 - 1983

Nice to see the Fernie pictures, I also recognise a few names mentioned in these posts. The Fernie was my first ship back in 1974, joined at Rotterdam to Tubarao, On to Japan via Panama and down to Dampier then back to Rotterdam. Happy days��
Old 25th January 2019, 17:28

I remember Pete Chapman, sailed with him twice a really nice guy. First met him on my first trip to sea on the Fernie back in Nov 1973.
Old 25th January 2019, 17:41

Hi Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cobban View Post
I joined the Fernie in Rotterdam as 2nd Mate 23rd Dec 1973. The photograph must have been taken at this time as I seem to remember we were stillhanging in as Hain Nourse. A happy ship.
I remember you Jim, I was one of two first trip deck cadets under your charge. You promised us a good time when we got to Tubarao, but the captains wife was on to you and she took us ashore and kept an eye on us. (Was so looking forward to Tubarao after all your tales of the local girls) oh well happy days.
Old 5th April 2019, 23:03
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLister View Post
I remember Pete Chapman, sailed with him twice a really nice guy. First met him on my first trip to sea on the Fernie back in Nov 1973.
Was lucky enough to work with Pete Chapman in late 1980's on ADNATCO tankers, when i was second. Not been able to contact him for last couple of years sadly.

Dannic
Old 6th April 2019, 23:04
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrey Bell View Post
Fernie I stood by whilst being built in Japan as 2nd Engineer. She had a major fire in accommodation top two decks just before delivery. Very quickly repaired by the Builders. Maurice Asplett was Chief Engineer. I took over from him in 1967 approx. Fine vessel and a happy ship. When was she broken up? By the way I thought she was 72,000 tons! I have quite a few photographs whilst being built.

Lowrey Bell
Was Chas. D. Abbott the Building Master ?