Old Shell Fleet News - Ships Nostalgia
03:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old Shell Fleet News

User Tag List

Old 30th January 2009, 07:11

Old Shell Fleet News

I was sorting out my rubbish gathering storage space yesterday (the garage). I found a sports bag full of the old Shell "Fleet News". My memory is certainly on its way out because at first I couldn't think why I should have so many Fleet News then it hit me; I took the Fleet News file from the bar on the Halia at QE dock Eastham when we were getting her ready for scrap.

In amongst the mice droppings I had a really good read. Lots of names from the past in there, many of them no longer with us I am sorry to say. Before the electronic age the Fleet News was a major source of finding out who was where and on what ship.

I also had a good laugh at the cartoons which were sent in by the mate Pete Marsland. I sailed with him when I was a cadet and he had a book full of them, some coloured in. It was excellent reading; he based them all on characters he had sailed with and incidents which had actually happened. The trademark "H" boat funnel with the Shell on was often featured. The "good old days" eh!!

Anyone else remember the Pete Marsland cartoons and the Fleet News?

(I presume copyright would prevent me scanning and uploading some of them)
Old 30th January 2009, 07:28
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

I remember the Shell Fleet News, a valuable source of information.
Kept you up to date with the interesting things happening in the STUK fleet.
It also had a births, marriages and deaths column.
I also remember a list of ships and crew who were onboard when the edition was printed.
The photos were in black and white and I was always eager to get a copy which somebody would give me when I visited the ships.

Regards
Keith
Old 30th January 2009, 16:00

Regards Shell News I was s.o.s.on the Hyria ,7 11 57 couple of trips earlier I was on the Tilapa the other s.o.s. was a lad Peter Newlands who had been awarded the B.E.M.for saving someone in Rotterdam I think and there was a photo of him being presented with the medal by some bigwig from Shell in the Shell News I often wondered why the bigwig got to present it to Peter aand not some royal and where is Peter now?
Old 31st January 2009, 14:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

I remember the Shell Fleet News as an excellent publication. Also good is the present SPA News (Shell Pensioners Association) for keeping up to date with events.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:04

remember the fleet news was good read goog cartoons new builds and scrapping but good for finding mates ask at shell for info but sadly werent able to help as was with shell74 to 81 lost names of lots of crew catering deck and some great officers and captains.
Old 21st February 2009, 13:27

loylobby, it would be great to see some of the Fleet News again, you wouldn't have any problem with uploading them, they were always in the public domain (I think)

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 7th April 2009, 16:34

A phrase used on the odd occasion in the Fleet News, when a vessel had a grounding or similar mishap was, Captain .....has since left the company,s service. Colin
Old 7th April 2009, 16:58

old shell news

i made 5 trips on the navicella in the mid 50,s.4 of them with a captain Lee.
probably the best skipper i ever sailed with.anybody else sailed with him
john sutton
Old 9th December 2010, 02:27

they are worht a lot of money if full coulor by pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by loylobby View Post
I was sorting out my rubbish gathering storage space yesterday (the garage). I found a sports bag full of the old Shell "Fleet News". My memory is certainly on its way out because at first I couldn't think why I should have so many Fleet News then it hit me; I took the Fleet News file from the bar on the Halia at QE dock Eastham when we were getting her ready for scrap.

In amongst the mice droppings I had a really good read. Lots of names from the past in there, many of them no longer with us I am sorry to say. Before the electronic age the Fleet News was a major source of finding out who was where and on what ship.

I also had a good laugh at the cartoons which were sent in by the mate Pete Marsland. I sailed with him when I was a cadet and he had a book full of them, some coloured in. It was excellent reading; he based them all on characters he had sailed with and incidents which had actually happened. The trademark "H" boat funnel with the Shell on was often featured. The "good old days" eh!!

Old 23rd January 2011, 01:59

Red face

[QUOTE=john sutton;309559]i made 5 trips on the navicella in the mid 50,s.4 of them with a captain Lee.

Were you ever on the Newcombia, John? I came across a story once, about her going to Pitcairn to repair their radio station. When they left, the islanders came out in their boats, stood and sang "In the sweet by and by, when we meet on that wonderful shore". Not a dry eye on the Newcombia according to the story. She was en route to New Zealand.

Mike
Old 18th May 2011, 16:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1976 - 1986

There's an old copy of the Fleet News at this location on flickr..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6157166...th/5621593021/

Regards

Ex-joe
Old 15th September 2011, 00:28

Hyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
Regards Shell News I was s.o.s.on the Hyria ,7 11 57 couple of trips earlier I was on the Tilapa the other s.o.s. was a lad Peter Newlands who had been awarded the B.E.M.for saving someone in Rotterdam I think and there was a photo of him being presented with the medal by some bigwig from Shell in the Shell News I often wondered why the bigwig got to present it to Peter aand not some royal and where is Peter now?
Hi. I was a d/app on Hyria around this time, one trip was down to Montevideo, biggest tanker to visit up to that time, had to be pushed accross the harbour, had a great time ashore as there was a festival of sorts going on at that time, sadley many came away with an unwanted present some days after we had left. had My first experience with turbo fuel pumps which was not pleasant after using the old push pull weir steam pumps up untill then. She was just tramping at that time in the western ocean. regards Rob Allen, now long retired. Anybody sailed with a master by the name of Douglas Keating, a liverpudlian who lived in Auckland N.Z. the best skipper I ever sailed with.
Old 15th April 2013, 05:51
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1981

hi l

i was on her when she went to scrap ,, would love to see the old fleet news

Quote:
Originally Posted by loylobby View Post

Old 11th March 2016, 22:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1949 - 2000

I sailed on the Newcombia as a deck apprentice. Have a look somewhere else and you may find a description of a few months on her, the biggest, for her size, heap you could not wish to sail on. I did 15 months on her. In the end, had to get pennies (remember them) from as many of the crew that had them, to phone Capt. Nimmo from the phone box at Eastham Locks to ask when we were getting off her. Oh dear me, me and my oppo were not popular.... Our new captain, Captain Tom Bagley, came down to our cabin at smoko and wanted to know who we were and why? We told him. He said that he was instructed to give us a right telling off for phoning the head office and who did we think we were? When he listened to our tale, he said to the effect, good for you, if you can't get to the office, phone them. I am supposed to tell you off, but I am giving you a good personal report for initiative. We were relieved shortly after.........
Old 11th March 2016, 22:35

In those days, the name was the Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co., But amongst us crews, was known as the Anglo Geordie Paraffin Oil Co.
You can guess why..
Old 11th March 2016, 22:45

Just thought, anyone remember Joseph Liddle Charlton? 1st Mate on Tomocyclus, Capt. On a ship that hit a ref somewhere?
Old 13th March 2016, 18:36

Always looked forward to receiving them onboard back in the 1970's
Old 14th March 2016, 12:15

I was quite happy this morning, feeling the urge of spring in my bones. Now I realise how old I am and how long ago it all was. Oddly enough they were some of the happiest days of my life with some of the best blokes and engineers I ever had the pride to meet. I enjoyed the fleet news and having a read of it over a tine of beer in the bar after dinner before the film started.
Old 7th April 2019, 07:09
Active: 1963 - 2014

Peter Marsland cartoons in Fleet News

Only just found this thread. I sailed with Peter and his wife Angela a few times when I was a second engineer. His cartoons were always wonderful and mysteriously appeared on the notice board before breakfast. On one ship he even created a very funny cartoon strip about idiosyncrasies of the incumbent chief engineer, DJ Hindley.

I was included in two of his cartoons and was given the originals which unfortunately have long since been lost in one of many moves.

I have occasionally Googles him to see if he's still around.