The Shipping Wizard of Kirkcaldy - Ships Nostalgia
07:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Shipping Wizard of Kirkcaldy

User Tag List

Old 4th November 2018, 20:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

The Shipping Wizard of Kirkcaldy

The captioned work is now available in the United States at all main booksellers. But a special Bank Line hard cover edition is now available worldwide by private message through Ships Nostalgia or by email to the Author. Your interest in this book is solicited as it covers the 20th century of Andrew Weir's Bank Line.

The book covers oil investments in California, Mexico and Venezuela and the extensive tanker fleet manned by Bank Line personnel; the difficult operations during the hard years of the Great Depression; both WWi and WWII; the post war rebuilding of the fleet and the support of shipbuilders Harland & Wolff and Doxford; the Vietnam Boat People, the last days of the White Ships; and the beginning of The End.

Not forgetting Inverforth's support of the oil engine; His investment and chairmanship at Marconi and Cable and Wireless and a host of other relationships that lead to tramp cargoes all over the world to link up the Liner Services based in Calcutta, Houston Durban and Hong Kong.

From "The largest fleet of Windjammers under the British Flag" to the "Last Surviving British Cargo Liner and Tramp Ship Company to Survive into the 21st century" together with a set of interesting ship photographs and a fleet list divided into ship classes.

As direct selling of any product is not permitted on the regular pages of S,N. you will have to write to me to express your interest and further communication will be conducted off site once I receive your communication details. I might say, however, that a direct purchase from the Author is at a substantial discount from Booksellers' retail price. I look forward to hearing from ex-Bank Line and any others who may have an interest in this publication in hard cover and 242 pages.!

Alistair Macnab.

Alistair

Last edited by Alistair Macnab; 4th November 2018 at 20:41..
Old 5th November 2018, 08:15
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
I'm sure it is both a good read and a valuable and fascinating record. Will send a PM.
Old 11th April 2019, 14:02

Thank for the Book

Alistair,

Thanks for sending the book, it arrived while I was on a visit to Shanghai so managed to collect it from the post office yesterday.

I'm about to make to PayPal transfer.

Great work BTW very interesting and a lot of work was put into writing it I'm sure.

All the best
Anthony
Old 12th April 2019, 22:13
Active: 1953 - 1981

The shipping wizard of kirkcaldy

ANTHONY w...

Many thanks for your acknowledgement of receipt of the book. I had some lingering doubts of mailing to Macau but my local Post Office worker here in Brooklyn took the destination in his stride and did not even ask for more address information. Payment received with thanks.

Yes. Research was quite extensive but greatly aided by my access to historical newspaper records in the USA and UK. Looking at today's SN subjects makes me realise just how appropriate are the stories in the book of Magellan Straits shipwreck and recovery of the "Moraybank" and the North China Sea typhoon which nearly brought about the end of the "Ettrickbank". You mention a 'trip to Shanghai' like it was a 'walk in the park'.

Truly you have strayed far from your origins and made a life on the far side of the world. When I left Bank Line in 1981, I was offered a job in Valparaiso by Kenricks and had I taken it instead of remaining in the USA, my life pattern would have been totally different.

Bank Line service was certainly an opening to the world. Since most of us are blessed with a longer retirement than our predecessors, I wonder if there should be a new SN section about unusual careers after seagoing days?

Alistair
Old 12th April 2019, 22:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
I like the idea of the new section on unusual careers, one thing about most seamen is that they are survivors. I recently re-established contact after 30 odd years with some fellow cadets, we have all been successful although only two remain in the marine sphere proper.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 7th May 2019, 18:40
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
A very interesting read. I feel that even some long time Bank Line folks will discover facts they had no idea of previously; I include myself here. The breadth of interests between the subject of the book and his business contemporaries was vast, but not the main topic of conversation in a Bank boat smokeroom.
Many of the recent topics will be known, of course, but some not.
A well researched record. Captain MacNab is to be congratulated,

China hand