Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ? - Page 14 - Ships Nostalgia
14:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Most memorable bar visited "up the road" ?

User Tag List

Old 14th April 2019, 20:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1979

My location
yep, ditto, least said the better.....
Old 14th April 2019, 21:33
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2009

V interesting post from Pat K in Mess Deck - Unusual Cloud Formations.

Never witnessed such aerial phenomena myself. But earliest recollection of large smoke rings was in Lucy’s Tiger Den.
Old 3rd May 2019, 00:28
Active: 1966 - 1970

ACB bar Moji Japan, think her name was Kiomi San but there's a story.
Old 3rd May 2019, 05:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans47 View Post
ACB bar Moji Japan, think her name was Kiomi San but there's a story.
ACB Bar was a laugh. Pretty sure it was owned by Moji Meri the old bird who a coca cola boat that came out to the ships at anchor flogging souvenir stuff. There was always a load of girls on board but I didn't hear of any monkey business with them. Kiomi San would of course have been a different story. Hope for your sake that she wasn't one that I met one time.

John T
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:34
Active: 1966 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
ACB Bar was a laugh. Pretty sure it was owned by Moji Meri the old bird who a coca cola boat that came out to the ships at anchor flogging souvenir stuff. There was always a load of girls on board but I didn't hear of any monkey business with them. Kiomi San would of course have been a different story. Hope for your sake that she wasn't one that I met one time.

John T
Good time no 'problems'
Old 28th May 2019, 12:03
Active: 1977 - 1983

Originally put this link on the other site - in the quiz section and nobody recognized it probably to much of the at the time.

Used to be the Harbour Lights (now the Licky Tomato Bar) just of the Motomachi in Kobe.

This is a Google 360 deg view. Motomachi at the top of the alley. If you rotate 90 deg to your left, you can go through the door in to the bar (Virtual drinks are on me )
I often wonder what happened to Lisa (who I loved dearly) and Emico the 2 girls that worked there along with the Mama-San. Last time I was there in 1983 both girls had left and the place was a karaoke bar.

Looks like a P&O pennant and possibly a photo of a UASC K class behind the bar still after all these years.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.68...!7i5376!8i2688
Old 28th May 2019, 14:45
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Pan View Post
Originally put this link on the other site - in the quiz section and nobody recognized it probably to much of the at the time.

Used to be the Harbour Lights (now the Licky Tomato Bar) just of the Motomachi in Kobe.

This is a Google 360 deg view. Motomachi at the top of the alley. If you rotate 90 deg to your left, you can go through the door in to the bar (Virtual drinks are on me )
I often wonder what happened to Lisa (who I loved dearly) and Emico the 2 girls that worked there along with the Mama-San. Last time I was there in 1983 both girls had left and the place was a karaoke bar.

Looks like a P&O pennant and possibly a photo of a UASC K class behind the bar still after all these years.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.68...!7i5376!8i2688
Flag looks like Philippines flag
Old 28th May 2019, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudisid View Post
Flag looks like Philippines flag
Think you are correct - thought the whitish bit was faded yellow - but long time since I have seen both flags in the flesh.
Cranes in the photo look like AEG as per Hyundai built K class, but that could just be wishful thinking - I am sure there was a picture of one on the wall all those years ago.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:29
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
That was the place where the 3/E received some, shall we say, oral gratification under the table. The Chief Engineer who was universally detested had invited himself along and the following day was making much of how the same hostess, on our way out had exchanged saliva with him. Now the big question was, everyone else on board knew, so did we tell him??

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 28th May 2019, 21:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
[QUOTE=Jim Harris;2971163]'Fairleys' on Leith Walk, Edinburgh....

/QUOTE]

It was my friend's father who owned this bar and it was one place we used to go when up for our tickets.
did anyone experience the "famous" drinking place called "Sally's" which was the watering hole for the crews when on the Aussie coast and loading coal in Carrington (Newcastle NSW)?
Her famous saying when in a good mood was "you're all Pommy Bastards and I love every one of you"
I was too young to frequent these places but had to go there and try and get the crew back on board so we could sail !!!!
Old 29th May 2019, 23:14

Many memorable bars still remembered fondly and the charecters in them but nobody as far as I can tell has mentioned the pigs on the liners the cheap beers etc,the Cunard ships out of Liverpool served Wrexham Lager if I recall correctly for eleven cents American or shilling a pint early to mid fifties it was said that the bar men made more money than the old man,on the Sylvania the trip she was laid up the barman I met years later he was running a pub The Newton Brewery Inn in Middlewich if I remember the empress ships sold a brew called Hop Leaf nowhere near as good as Wrexham lager.any more memories brethren on the pigs and the charecters in them let's hear from you.
Old 30th May 2019, 12:38
Active: 1973 - 1986

The Legaspi, just outside the dock gate in Manila, was a first port of call for many Ben Liners on the way up the road ( quite a few of them married Filipina girls from there over the years).
Plenty of GoGo bars whose names I can no longer remember.....One place I do remember was the Hobbit House, Manila, where all the staff were dwarfs....mind blowing after a few sherbets.
Loved Manila - great place... Benrinnes (small feeder container ship) had a weekly service Kwai Chung,Hong Kong to Manila before the new container gantries had been built in Manila for larger box boats.
Old 30th May 2019, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
Many memorable bars still remembered fondly and the charecters in them but nobody as far as I can tell has mentioned the pigs on the liners the cheap beers etc,the Cunard ships out of Liverpool served Wrexham Lager if I recall correctly for eleven cents American or shilling a pint early to mid fifties it was said that the bar men made more money than the old man,on the Sylvania the trip she was laid up the barman I met years later he was running a pub The Newton Brewery Inn in Middlewich if I remember the empress ships sold a brew called Hop Leaf nowhere near as good as Wrexham lager.any more memories brethren on the pigs and the charecters in them let's hear from you.
Hi Tom,
I only sailed on two ships that had a Pig and Whistle. One was the Empress of Britain, and the other was the Andes.
The Pig on the Britain was right fwd, at the end of the working alleyway as I recall and was a very big space always crowded and noisy and had lots of gambling going on. The beer was dirt cheap but pretty weak stuff, and as I was on the 8 to 12 the whole time I was on that ship, I rarely got a chance to go in there.
On the Andes, the Pig was aft and on the main deck. It was used very often for showing films, and for camp shows put on by the drag artists from the catering staff. A raucous place, and scene of many a lover's tiff between the outrageous queens, with which the Andes was well supplied.
Apart from those two ships, most of my onboard drinking was in the sailor's rec room, which on Blueys was nicely fitted out, with comfortable chairs and couches, with a radiogram , dartboard, bookshelves, well stocked with westerns.
The main problem was, beer was always rationed, sometimes only two cans per day, sometimes four. So we would save it for the weekend and have a good session on a Saturday night.
Old 30th May 2019, 20:17
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1959 - Present

Ikoyi Hotel bar Lagos.
Old 30th May 2019, 22:32
Active: 1960 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaarks View Post
The Texas bar in Lisbon. I seem to recall it had a ship's lifeboat suspended from the ceiling, in which you could sit and drink. That was c/1970, I daresay it failed the Lifting Regs load test since then.
More recently (2008 or so) the sign was still there, but it had been converted inro a trendy disco.... I didn't go in, I just assumed it was trendy because the Cais do Sodre has been yuppified. Well apart from a few possibly dodgy places.... the Copenhagen Bar, and a downstairs place in a side street??
Brings back memories, well patronized by MacAndrews men in the mid sixties also Lusitania Bar seems to ring a bell.
Old 30th May 2019, 22:51
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

For any Manchester Liners lads left out there. How about the China Bar in Keelung.
Roger
Old 30th May 2019, 22:59
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogd View Post
For any Manchester Liners lads left out there. How about the China Bar in Keelung.
Roger
Manny Liners local.
Old 31st May 2019, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogd View Post
Roger
Now you are really talking.

I'm pretty sure it's now called the Fight Bar

Another google 360 deg
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.1325...!7i5376!8i2688

Sept 1982 on the UASC Ahmad Al Fateh spent a night dodging a typhoon in the lee of Taiwan. Finally got in to Keelung at about 9 in the morning and went ashore. By about 11, was feeling a bit thirsty so headed for my usual destination (and possibly organize some evenings entertainment - as I was on the 4-8 port watch)
The China Bar was completely empty just one girl serving behind the bar - all the others had gone home because of the Typhoon so the girl and I started talking - when I realized that I already knew her from 4 years previously when she was the manageress of a record shop in Kaosiung. (She was just helping out the Mama-San who was a friend of hers)
To cut a long story short 2 months later I walked in through the back door of the China Bar carrying a suitcase and stayed 2 months. Got to know the Mama-San very well, and her husband (Papa-San) who was a right Chinese Gangster - ex Chief Cook in Chiang Kai-shek's Navy.
While out in Taiwan a trip later I had the thanks but no longer required letter, then flew back to Taiwan 5 months later and we married.
36 years later we are still married.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fight bar.jpg (113.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Lao Pan; 31st May 2019 at 12:10..
Old 31st May 2019, 13:39
Active: 1973 - 2009

Nice story LP.
Old 31st May 2019, 14:31
Active: 1969 - 1977

The Blues Cafe in Port Harcourt Nigeria
Old 31st May 2019, 16:06
Active: 1955 - 1997

Royal Albert Dock London

As a young cadet in the fifties, I remember one night being invited ashore by two AB's.....our first port of call was the "Round House" just outside the gate....what an eye opener for a young country lad...also visited the "Bridge House"...think that was East Ham
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:44
Active: 1970 - 1986

Tropicana and sunarama Colombo Sri Lanka,
Hotel Colon Puerto Cabello, great old juke box in there, tried learning spanish with waitress there over many weeks,
Forget name of bar outside gates at gulfport, remember being wheeled into there in shopping trolley, caused a bit of buzz with police, but thats another story
Then there was that hotel in Fremantle when no pubs werecooen on a sunday, but they had a group playing rugby tyoe songs, may even have been kevin bloody Wilson. Thats the only place in the world that the air made me stagger and i finisged up in safety net having missed footings on gangway.
Boogie street, singapore, was it the gut in Malta, great place for bar crawl in those days. Keo brewery, great tour round finished up with copious amounts of beer on veranda.
Cant understand where the money went!
Found being an R/O was a tough life, go ashore with 8 to 12 watch for a look around, get back on board and find 12 to 4 watch say come ashore, then again with the 4 to 8. Renember the time one captain @#$$#@$#% me out fir soending too much time in bed, the mate heard him and said to me i had better stay up.
Sorry folks lost track of thread, but every bar was a special place, and its sad to think how many i have forgotten.
Anyone else recall bar in Dover ran by an ancient lady, dildoes all around room on shelves sent to her from all sides of the globe, she would say if you wanted a drink help yourself and put money in till, if barrel ran out you had to put next one on.
Going back to traning days in bristol who recalls the coronation tap near suspension bridge, courage beer but scrumpy cider served from barrels behind bar rough and smooth. Barman would have made big daddy look like he was on a diet. Then there were the lockins on the christmas steps near theatre, and don't forget the , umm, gambling joint upstairs rooms somewhere of white chaple road.
Thats ot . Rant over, beginning to think i was close to beong an alchie
Old 7th October 2019, 15:33
Active: 1964 - 2002

[QUOTE=IvortheEngine;2985373]
Plenty of GoGo bars whose names I can no longer remember....

Yes indeed. I was based there for a few years on a cableship. Certaintly a lively nightlife - until ex-police chief Alfredo Lim was elected Mayor on an anti-vice ticket. Nicknamed "Dirty Harry" he closed most of the dodgy bars in Ermita. Rightly so I guess. We watched on TV in horror as he and his henchmen walked down MH del Pilar, boarding up the bars.
The bars just moved out to Makati which I think was not under Lim's jurisdiction.
A movie was made about him!
Old 7th October 2019, 18:52
Active: 1962 - 1964

Scruffy little place near the docks in Kingston with empty shelves at the back of the bar. There were two rat holes and there must have been a barrier behind because, after checking for the barmaid, the rats used to make a run for it along a shelf.
Additional entertainment was provided by warning aforementioned barmaid whereupon she'd pick up a broom and attempt to splat the rat.
It was like something from a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

p.s. Lest anyone be unduly concerned about my non-PC punchline, Amazon and The Guardian are on the case:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian
Early Tom and Jerry cartoons that feature the stereotype black maid, now carry a health warning on Amazon. The animations, it warns, represent “some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society … that were wrong then and are wrong now”.
We can all sleep soundly.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:12
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Pan View Post
Now you are really talking.

I'm pretty sure it's now called the Fight Bar

Another google 360 deg
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.1325...!7i5376!8i2688

Sept 1982 on the UASC Ahmad Al Fateh spent a night dodging a typhoon in the lee of Taiwan. Finally got in to Keelung at about 9 in the morning and went ashore. By about 11, was feeling a bit thirsty so headed for my usual destination (and possibly organize some evenings entertainment - as I was on the 4-8 port watch)
The China Bar was completely empty just one girl serving behind the bar - all the others had gone home because of the Typhoon so the girl and I started talking - when I realized that I already knew her from 4 years previously when she was the manageress of a record shop in Kaosiung. (She was just helping out the Mama-San who was a friend of hers)
To cut a long story short 2 months later I walked in through the back door of the China Bar carrying a suitcase and stayed 2 months. Got to know the Mama-San very well, and her husband (Papa-San) who was a right Chinese Gangster - ex Chief Cook in Chiang Kai-shek's Navy.
While out in Taiwan a trip later I had the thanks but no longer required letter, then flew back to Taiwan 5 months later and we married.
36 years later we are still married.
How romantic!

Actually, just writing that reminds me of passengering Peking > HK one day.
I was seated next to a Chinese businessman and we started chatting. He was going to Tokyo and I asked if he was connecting straight through.
"No." he said "Stopping off in HK."
Bas: "More business?"
CB: "No, pleasure. Girl friend in HK. Same girl friend for twenty years."
(This is where the conversation went wrong)
Bas: "How charming!"
CB: (Giving Bas strange look) "Twenty years ago very charming, not so charming now!"
Bas: (Thinks) 'Oh f**k, when in hole stop digging; say nothing!'