Mimco "Globespan" Transmitter - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mimco "Globespan" Transmitter

User Tag List

Old 1st July 2019, 23:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

...and '73's back to you, Martin. Nice area of the country to live in, Manawatu.

...and Ron (ref. your post #11 ): presumably you knew those two guys at Marconi, the ones you referred to who came up with the 'Apollo'. If so, do you recall any interesting stuff about them; how they came up with the ideas and worked it all out? I'd love to flesh them out a bit, as I was an ardent admirer of the outcome of all their design work.

Quite liked their 'Lodestar', and 'Lifeguard', too. Still remember how fiendishly complex I found the original valve one was at college.

I guess they would have been quite proud of their baby, the 'Apollo'. I would have been.
Old 3rd July 2019, 02:52

I have been clearing out some of my old marine equipment manual and found that AWA - the Marconi Rep in Australia - had build Globespan transmitters under licence in 1957 call Argonaut (not be be confused with the Marconi VHF. I once worked for AWA and now recall that there was an up surge in ship building in the mid 50's and there was a need for equipment. I think there were about 10 or so build. I have an original manual for this transmitter dated July 1957.
Old 3rd July 2019, 04:21
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
I sailed on the Priam in 1982 after Swire bought her, renamed Kweichow . A lovely old ship. We retained the radio gear and it was a Marconi / Redifon. Very nice. The run was Far East to New Zealand and back. Happy days.
Good day. I think Kweichow was Phemius, sistership of Priam with the same radio gear. Priam went to Orient Overseas I believe. In fact Phemius was my last ship in Blue Funnel, sailing from Europe to Indonesia and finally lay up for sale at Singapore in early 1982. Aother SN member, Makko, was on that trip. Not long later I went up to Hong Kong looking for a job and first applied at China Nav. But they said no vacancies, otherwise maybe I could also have sailed on Kweichow. I joined Indo China SN instead.
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:31

Globespan chain drive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xx.jpg (105.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 7th July 2019, 11:20
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwakeley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
I sailed on the Priam in 1982 after Swire bought her, renamed Kweichow . A lovely old ship. We retained the radio gear and it was a Marconi / Redifon. Very nice. The run was Far East to New Zealand and back. Happy days.
Good day. I think Kweichow was Phemius, sistership of Priam with the same radio gear. Priam went to Orient Overseas I believe. In fact Phemius was my last ship in Blue Funnel, sailing from Europe to Indonesia and finally lay up for sale at Singapore in early 1982. Aother SN member, Makko, was on that trip. Not long later I went up to Hong Kong looking for a job and first applied at China Nav. But they said no vacancies, otherwise maybe I could also have sailed on Kweichow. I joined Indo China SN instead.
Richard, you are correct, my mistake. The Kweichow bar was one of the best I have seen. Mahogany and thick pile carpet. Swire sold her in 1983, so they didn't own her for long.
Kweichow's sister ship was Kweilin. I think that was ex-Priam. Swire sold her shortly after Kweichow .
Old 18th July 2019, 18:04
Active: 1973 - 2004

Globespan User

I remember that in 1973/74 P&O Canberra/GBVC had a Globespan as the main W/T transmitter, it might have been a little old but it was very reliable. She also used an NT201 for R/T and a Reliant as an emergency Tx.