Barge Superintendant Lewis (Bo) Driggers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Barge Superintendant Lewis (Bo) Driggers

User Tag List

Old 14th June 2015, 19:08
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1966 - 1983

Fred Ward Storekeeper Brown & Root Hercules

Hello my father was Fred Ward and he was the storekeeper for Brown and Root 1960's - 1980's. Is there anyone that knew him? I do remember my dad talking about his friend called Bob Nerrin from Houston. My dad suffered ill health as soon as he retired and he died in 1990. I was a child (aged 6 until mid 20's) when he worked away and unfortunately the letters that he sent me were lost. I would dearly love to know more about dad.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:20

Fred Ward - Hercules Store Keeper

I am Chuck Sitaway who posted on the Bo Driggers thread. Fred Ward was Hercules Store Keeper during the period 1975 to 1978 when I was on board the Herc and in B&R base in Rotterdam. Fred was a real character and as an ex 'matelot' was a great story teller related to his seagoing days as a 'stoker' 'coal-trimmer' all taken with a pinch of salt. Fred told us he had scars on his shoulders from hauling coal between boilers on coal fired ships. Fred was well liked by the Herc crew dispite his contrived grumpy disposition. His domain was the Hercules below deck stores which were a complete credit to his organisation and equipment knowledge. There were literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of stock. Everything from 1000m 200mm nylon tow rope to complex equipment electronic control cards. His system was foolproof and comprehensive. He was assisted by a chap called Fred Sinclair and a yound Dutch guy call Hans (I think). Hans was in complete awe of Wardy and certainly appreciated the under wing training he provided. Wardy was partial to a light ale and drop of scotch.....plenty of both were available on the American Flagged (Dry) Hercules. Peter Williams was a big buddy of Freds, Pete was chief electrician on the Herc during Freds time there. I think Fred lived in East Anglia and he hoped to retire there. God bless you Fred and RIP.
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:09
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1966 - 1983

Thank you so much Chuck. It has been just brilliant to hear what my dad was like at work. It has helped to fill a massive gap. It sounds like he was happy and that makes me feel much happier. Thank you for taking the time to write - very much appreciated and a big thank to Ships Nostalgia.
From Caroline
Old 2nd September 2016, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
Sadly Geoff passed away earlier this year. I was a surveyor with B&R during the 70's and 80's and we crossed paths all over the known world - Bacton, Easington, Bombay, Thailand etc, etc. Just a lovely straight forward guy and I've got lots of good memories.

He always had a soft spot for local labour and worried about one particular group of Vietnamese boat people that had been rescued by one of our survey vessels in Thailand. They were in a poor way and he did his best to help them out.
Nick was Bo the Supt. of the 279 ?, i worked on the 347 in Thailand and we only had 2 barges, Billy Offield was my Supt., maybe if you were on the 279 you knew Kevin Banks a very good friend who settled in Thailand on a farm ? and i too saw the pitiful boat people 1980-81
and Billy had our tugs take them to Malaysia for shelter.
Old 2nd September 2016, 19:23

oldnick, you must know the famous Frank Rocco who worked with me on the Thailand job, what a character he was.
Old 12th January 2017, 14:17

Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
Does anybody remember which B and R barge, the Wessex chopper crashed onto, in the Forties Field, after clipping the catch net on --I think it was Forties Delta--1976?
I was on the thor when it happen just below the helideck working for Subsea. It didn't miss me by much I thought I was a goner seeing it come down on me upside down full throttle
Old 13th January 2017, 00:58

I was there underneath the heli deck when it came off working for Subsea I got the pilot out
Old 12th February 2019, 18:22

Bo Drerrick

Hi..
Yes I remember ''Bo'' and Mr Hendricks very well during my visit from the Peterhead office during installation of 1 of the Jackets.

Allan Cattell was a room mate in Peterhead., Dirk Blanken was my boss and his boss was Roy Jenkins..

I remember Bo repairing his ''tennis'' shoe and having lots to say about the rigging of one of the lifts... just before it all came crashing down on to the package.. we were on board of the Thor if I remember correctly.

Got the job from Roy via Dirk to bring the barge back to Schiedam - well easier said than done.. all sea fastening was removed..!

I still have that picture of Bo repairing his shoe.. and many other pictures of the installation and decommissioning trip of one of the floatation tanks to Nigg….

Stay healthy my friends

Henk Schuringa

Oklahoma - USA
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:55

I arrived to work with Sub Sea International several nights before the chopper crash mentioned. It was on Heerema's DB Thor, which had a major project underway of setting in one piece a marine riser, and the chopper burned right next to the Sat system. One of the guys who did the most in some rescue effort was a sat diver and supervisor. He told me that one of the chopper pilots or an engineer was unable to escape the fire because a liferaft inflated and blocked his exit. I got in the water five days after arrival and worked from the Thor until we finished decommissioning our system in Rotterdam four months later. The platform we were working on was the Forties Alpha. Earlier, Subsea, working from (I think) the Hercules, burned off some flotation tanks from the jacket. The pace of work from the Thor was extraordinary.
Michael O'Hair.