R/O's - ex Plymouth College 1960's - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

R/O's - ex Plymouth College 1960's

User Tag List

Old 5th March 2018, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
I believe that Terry used to live up Tavistock way, but I can't be sure of that. (Intermittent fault in the memory stack.)
Yelverton actually.
Old 5th March 2018, 18:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1973 - 2004

Peter, Hi,
A 'small world' it is, my digs were about £8.50'ish. for half board. Mr & Mrs Joyce my landlords, they were Plymothians through and through (even supporting Argyle). If you could get Mrs Joyce and her sisters talking about the war and childrens parties in Devonport Dockyard it became a very entertaining evening. I was very lucky.
Best regards,
Charles
Old 5th March 2018, 22:27

The pub Good Companions has been mentioned.

To keep you up to date on Good Companions pub click on labels below.

First G.C. was boarded up. See below

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/devon/pl...ompanions.html

Then demolished

This is all that is left of a popular city centre pub - Plymouth Herald

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/new...tre-pub-715099
Old 6th March 2018, 08:58

The Good Companion

Lucy, Hi,
Your news is sad, still, at least the site was used well, an extension to the University . . . . its better than some I can think of like another Boots, Debenhams or Asda.
Best Regards,
Charles
Old 6th March 2018, 09:16

7I
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWills View Post
….better late than never…hopefully this thread is still active.

I was at Plymouth from 1972-1975 on the MRRT course. We spent the first two years mostly at Durnford Street before moving to the new college on Kings road. The lecturers I remember are John Mitchell, Howarth and Pink from Durnford St, and then Jock Richardson for the radar course at the new CFE on Kings Rd. I guess there must have been more than just those 4, but it was an awful long time ago.
I do remember year 1 being very much an uphill struggle, but subsequent years became easier.
I’d have to admit that I have never been back there in all these years, and that is something I regret.

Andrew Wills

Plymouth looks completely different now. Even Durnford St. Traffic calming etc.

The City Centre is one huge student campus. Over 30,O00 students at Uni a couple of years ago, plus Art college, City college (was CFE one Devonport), Marjon teacher training college. All the old Poly area built on and many high rise studrnt acvomodation block in the City centre area. They never stop building new high rise student blocks on any site nearby.

North Hill heading up to Mutley Plain has many clubs open to 5am

The road along Milbay docks you may rememver walking along to and from Durnford St again looks completely different. Many high rise flats.

I remember your name and thunk I can place you. I think you were in Mr Mitchell's class. I was in Mr Hogans. The two parallel classes joined up for morse.

I decided 2 days before the 2nd year started, with a heavy heart, not to return. I had just returned from back packing around Europe. inuding Interrail.

I had had quite enough of the constant verbal bullying at Durnford Street, usually extremely sexist, very personal and insulting
It happened regularly before classes started in the classroom and also in basement used for coffee breaks and lunchtimes. One main ring leader in the class was the top bully tesponsible and it provided cheap entertainment for many (not all) of the others.

I had a real battle to transfer to Brunel college Bristol and took 5 weeks of daily phone calls to education authority. Mr Mitchellwouldn't give me permisdion to transfer and education authority wouldn't go along with the transfer unless he agreed. Brunel college Bristol were willing to have me. 5 weeks later they said either get up there or they wouldn't have me. The education authority then after daily phone calls agreed. I started 5 weeks late with no accomodation for the 2nd year. I can't say I have any happy memories of Durnford St.
Lucy

However the lecturers I would really like to thank were John Vorden and Roger Collings, the Sport lecturers. John really encluraged me to get into water sports. I took gold survucal swimming, life saving classes, sub aqua pool trainng and lectures Firt Boveysand, sailing under Tanar Bridge on Sat mornings, canoing and a bit if caving tbrown in. I had to keep my sanity somehow. I went along with the lads to play football once on the coach to Ernisettle. It wasn't a success. Mr Mitchell gave me the choice after tbat once of carrying on with football on spending Wednesday afternoon doing extra morse. I chose tbe latter and soon Ian S joined me for extra morse too. I don't think Mr Mitchell trusted me for not disapoearing off for tbe afternoon. I thinkk that is why he found me some company.

I asked for one Wed aft off to take gold survival swimming exam up at Cenral Pk with some nav and eng cadets etc. He agreed. He then found out how much water sports I was doing and went ballistic.

Last edited by LucyKnight; 6th March 2018 at 11:05..
Old 6th March 2018, 10:30

Lucy, Hi,
I must admit, Mr Mitchell was not my favourite, for some reason he and I did not hit it off (I mentioned this to my Dad during my weekly phone home) my Dad without my knowledge phoned Mr Mitchell to ask what the problem was (sin of sins), and as a result Mr. Mitchell wanted to throw me off the course. I found out about this only because the Owner of the R/O's Hostel in Houndiscoumbe Road went into bat for me and helped; he told me what had happened when the dust had settled. After that, I never spoke to Mr. Mitchell, and only when I had to in class, I did not respect him and kept well clear of him.
Best Regards,
Charles

Last edited by Dimples82; 6th March 2018 at 10:32.. Reason: Text error
Old 6th March 2018, 10:30
Active: 1975 - 1979

Thanks for the update Lucy

Hi Lucy, thanks for your response. You are correct, I was in Mr Mitchell’s class, and I do remember you. It saddens me to hear that you had such a torrid time back then, but I do remember the 1st year being particularly tough. I remember the R/O lodgings on Mutley?? plain, 4 of us to a room and I think that there was only the one shower between around 10-12 students, that was awful.

It sounds like the Plymouth I knew back in ’75 has completely disappeared. I did return there for a long weekend back in ’80 or ’81 but it sounds like it would be unrecognisable to me now. Maybe I’ll get back there sometime.

I left the sea back in ’79 with the intention of going back after a year or so. I wanted to get some real technical experience and some industry recognised qualification so went to work at GCHQ, fully intending to go back to sea. Things were good ashore, I moved onto more and more interesting things, memories fade as did the desire to be afloat so I never went back. It was great fun while it lasted.

Thanks again,
Andrew
Old 6th March 2018, 10:39

Hi Charles. I remember one on your course R.D. later telling me that he had chucked it in in the first year and later went back. He kept saying "God was good to me and he let me go back". He didn't strike me as a "bible basher type". I soon realised "God" was his name for Mr Mitchell.

Cheers
Lucy

Last edited by LucyKnight; 6th March 2018 at 11:03..
Old 6th March 2018, 12:08

Lucy, Hi,
Perhaps Mr Mitchell had a good side. You never know.
Best regards,
Charles
Old 6th March 2018, 12:15

One staff member not mentioned at Durnford St was the cleaner who served coffee and biscuits from the booth in the basement room. She lived up the road and was called Mrs T. I think her real name was Mrs Thompson.

She was none to complimentary about Mr M either.
Old 6th March 2018, 20:21

Lucy, Hi,
Do you have any contact details for John Methuan, he left at the end of the 1st year and became a Policeman ?
Best Regards
Charles
Old 7th March 2018, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples82 View Post
Lucy, Hi,
Do you have any contact details for John Methuan, he left at the end of the 1st year and became a Policeman ?
Best Regards
Charles
Can't say I know the name actually.

Glad he went down path of honest living though. I transferred Bristol 2nd year. One day about six months later the landlord arrived Sat morning and put chains on all four of the four bay windows facing Windor Road, so they could only open a few inches.

I then found out that the previous rad course student who had been tenant in my bedsit was inside Gloucester prison. He had told another con in Gloucester Nic that he was going to break in my bedsit when he got out. He had been on lst year Rad Offs course. The end result was he and another student had tea leafed televisions from store on nearby Gloucester Rd. He and other the other radio student had an enthusiasm for televisions, radios etc and it obviously wasn't just a healthy interest. It did wonders re my sleep at night.

Do you have any contact details for Dave Hirens. Very nice man

Last saw him Summer 75 just before my 6 and half month trip on S.S. Mangelia, Shell supertanker. He was on your intake and joined P and O like yourself. His came from Heybrook Bay near Plymourh. A few years before when he was on R/Os course he used to take me up to Plume of Feathers folk singing nights. He treated me well. Real gentleman.

Lucy

Last edited by LucyKnight; 7th March 2018 at 07:05..
Old 7th March 2018, 10:41

Lucy, Hi,
Thanks for your response, John was a good friend (many a happy lunch time 'Oggi at the Crimel Ferry Cafe and a toddle up to Devils Point or half in the 'Grapes' ), after he left the course and I believe becoming a Copper lost track of him.
As to Dave Hirens, sorry I can not remember him, if I get a find out in the mean time I will pass his details on to you.
Best Regards,
Charles
Old 7th August 2019, 21:25
Active: 1965 - 2002

Hi Everyone
Was at Plymouth Sept 1963. PMG and Radar. Remember Ted Howarth,Robbie Robinson, Joe Rowe, Alan Pink, John Mitchell and Jock Richardson, who I remember delivering the "package of energy " speech on the first lecture on the Marconi Mark 4 radar.
Later returned to Plymouth for MED a d advanced MED 1971/2 with Ted Crowther and Alec Ward (who went to CP Ships as
Radio/Electronics Super. Met him when I was with CP regularly.
On my PMG course had Tony Bovill, Tim Seddon (went to GHCQ), Dave Hambling, John Duquimin.
Retired from sea 2002 as an ETO with Global Marine on cable ships.
Remember you Les. Were you just ahead of us?
Dave Atkinson.