Obuasi - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Obuasi

User Tag List

Old 1st December 2013, 17:08

Jon T.

Even more off thread, but I will mention I tried a pipe off and on for years, but could never get the hang/taste for it.

Joined ED`s age 18 had the Gold Flake habit - were they really 11d for 20?, but once I heard the word Anton Justman`s Light Shag, I must have thought it sounded sexier so settled for rolling my own -1/10 per tin(?) 2oz(?) - very slim ciggies went out if left idling in an ashtray - developed "hollow cheeks"
Old 1st December 2013, 18:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Turner View Post
Jon T.

Even more off thread, but I will mention I tried a pipe off and on for years, but could never get the hang/taste for it.

Joined ED`s age 18 had the Gold Flake habit - were they really 11d for 20?, but once I heard the word Anton Justman`s Light Shag, I must have thought it sounded sexier so settled for rolling my own -1/10 per tin(?) 2oz(?) - very slim ciggies went out if left idling in an ashtray - developed "hollow cheeks"
People have been saying "Pipe down Smith" for years, particularly 'her indoors'. Finally did, overnight, on 20th March 2012 - had to - long story. The truth's out now so, for GTP read G X P, '58 ~ '12. Was always a 'Condor Original' man.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T. View Post
GTP, going off thread.
My father was a dedicated "pipeman" and many of his rituals will be lost forever, good some might say, but I was always fascinated by the way in which he carried out his habit.
He was faithful to his pipe, always a "Barling", his tobacco, "Players medium" and his matches, "Bryant and May", oh and mother as well.
He set fire to himself on occasion, putting lit pipe in pocket, embers from pipe on clothing and furniture. Whenever he left the house he would always tap his pockets to make sure he had his "equipment" with him, very similar to spectacles, testicles..etc.
Do you have rituals, sub-conscious or not, related to your pipe?
Hi Jon. Have just 'come clean' - in answer to another comment on this thread - that I should have changed my name to GXP as of 20th March last year. However, fifty four years of 'puffing experience' doesn't suddenly 'vanish' overnight! Tobacco I've named but matches, no 'pipe lighters', ever, just 'Swan Matches' which, in the 'good old days', were something like 3d for 80+ 'non safety' and had 'striking surfaces on both sides! Talking of 'striking', I always struck towards me, rather than away, so that any stray spark hit me rather than going down a vent if on deck.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1976

My location
Thanks GTP, sorry to hear that, but well done.

BTW 20th March is also "World Sparrow Day"
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:35

Just in case you haven't seen this picture of the 'O' before.

Thanks for your 'sympathies' Jon T! I'll remember 'World Sparrow Day's' date!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpainti...a-ghana-103698
Old 10th December 2013, 15:24
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Hello Terry. Did 4 trips on the Calumet 1953 to Sept 54 as A/Purser.She was a ship remembered by most with affection,although engineers may have found her a bit of a B as I believe the boilers were getting shot. I well remember George Fairbairn, the 2nd Engr getting wrapped in wet sacks to plug a leak in a boiler whilst it was still red hot. Sorry I don't recall you but we have both lasted which is the main thing. Regards Bob Appleton
Old 10th December 2013, 15:27
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Sorry wrong thread. Will go to the correct one
Old 14th August 2019, 09:41

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d5f028e2b4.jpg