Cad model of TEV Wahine - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cad model of TEV Wahine

User Tag List

Old 26th February 2013, 05:18

Here they are here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bilge Ballest Intakes.jpg (441.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 6th April 2013, 19:58

Supurb detail rd71sd75! You are a true master.

At my age, I might finish only one ship like that. So I'll stick to my under 7k poly max/ship. A ship every few weeks that way, just don't get too close, as you are aware, the detail suffers.

Cheers, please post more pix.
Old 18th July 2013, 04:10

more coming soon.
Old 21st July 2013, 07:48

Starting to block in materials and fit out model with small details
Attached Images
File Type: jpg material block in.jpg (321.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 27th July 2013, 01:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day rd71sd75,21july.16:48;re:cad model tev wahine,great models,they are works of art,thank you for sharing,ben27
Old 30th July 2013, 19:01

Wonderful detail, looks like I could climb aboard.
Old 16th August 2013, 02:16

Thankyou for your kind remarks, It spurs me on, which is very helpfull on a gigantic project like this.
Doing some look develoment for getting the hull paints, plate bucking ,weldseams and rivets all looking correct.
Any critique good or bad would be appreciated.
The rust on the fender is a little too intense but that is just as it's a test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint Study.jpg (78.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 14th November 2013, 22:28

Some updates
Parts of the model are now finished
see below.
As you can see I have tried to capture all the detail that is needed ,basically if it is bigger than a 18mm bolt it is on the model.

The stern shot shows some work still to do , Stbd prop is flipped, missing covers , prop and shaft withdrawl lugs in wrong spots etc.
Next big job modeling the lifeboat winches and the windlass, trying to find more data, eg plans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underside of winch platforms.jpg (226.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Render_003.jpg (124.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg emergency dynamo.jpg (316.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Stern.jpg (70.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 15th November 2013, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd71sd75 View Post
Some updates
Parts of the model are now finished
see below.
As you can see I have tried to capture all the detail that is needed ,basically if it is bigger than a 18mm bolt it is on the model.

The stern shot shows some work still to do , Stbd prop is flipped, missing covers , prop and shaft withdrawl lugs in wrong spots etc.
Next big job modeling the lifeboat winches and the windlass, trying to find more data, eg plans.
Stunning, stunning work. Well done. I do a lot of 3D CAD design but am a boyscout compared to your skill level.

Your man that is building a replica of Titanic would have been better served in coming to see you and one of the most beautiful ships ever built.
Old 15th November 2013, 15:07

that is really amazing !not knowing a lot about CAD is this the sort of thing shipbuilders use when building the real thing?
it looks like you will need a MASSIVE 3D printer and then you have a cracking 1-1 model!
mind you it looks so good who needs a model-as a modeller what am i saying!!!!!!
Old 15th November 2013, 20:57

not knowing a lot about CAD is this the sort of thing shipbuilders use when building the real thing?

Hi David
Sort of , In day to day ship design I use Rhino 3d for this I use Maya, however the ship was modelled in Rhino first then the I created a nurbs curve framework that I import into maya, then re-create the mesh as an optimised uv-able mesh.
Trying to break into film with this model.

For ship design pre viz, yes I use the exact same system, in fact here is a boat I did recently, sorry about the quality, it's a scan from the magazine it was published in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page1.jpg (443.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Page2.jpg (343.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Page3.jpg (345.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 15th November 2013, 21:29

if i win the lottery i will call you-oooh look a pink elephant flying over!
i like the SWATH or similar designs,the ELBE PILOT ships look great in action! very stable at speed!
Old 15th November 2013, 21:44

I designed a swath cat from an existing hull a few years back while working for a naval architect. This is it here, basically from the gunwale up is my design(actually my first used design)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAKAR1.jpg (5.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Makar2.jpg (26.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 15th November 2013, 21:51

Here are the renders of the above boat, not the best I have done, but these are done on a very very tight time frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005_Boat.jpg (75.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 009_Boat.jpg (181.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 14th July 2014, 09:32
Department: Engineering

Hi rd71sd75
I am amazed at the level of detail in your pix. No wonder it has taken lots of time this far...........
I have been using my 3d programming for some time and still inventing ways of constructing obects. I have found some model plans from here and there, of recent, to practice lofting with and can add with the others " thats some detail". I am at present "making" a model of a stationary boiler circa 1850. Somethiing though-- this modelmaking is very absorbing and very interesting and very rewarding.

Cheers

David
Old 14th July 2014, 22:01

Thank you for your kind comments.
A boiler sounds interesting!
What software are you using? I use Rhino to make curves then model in Maya.
Progress is slow at the moment as I recently started teaching Game Development(including modeling) at a college Diploma level , so not as much time as I would like.

Richard
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:34
Department: Engineering

Richard

My programme is Turbocad vers 14. It is the only drawing programme I have ever used. It seems to have many attributes...rendering control as with lighting, basic camera angles and extra cameras etc. The objects are boxes, ciylinders. spheres and and rotations and are supplemented with 2D and 3D boolean add and subtract which makes for and interesting hour or two. I guess that most of the programmes have the same basic formats with one or two company specials. From what I have been told many started life on a mainframe and have come down to PC and windows versions.
After looking at the models that have appeared here I can see that a new? form of ship modeling is stretching out . I suppose some cartoonist would crib What's new?

I do most of my drawing in 1:1 scale so I can zoom in and get the detail that you talk about. This means pen and pencil have to be on the go also.

I will see if I can amaze myself and send in a pic .

David
Old 1st September 2019, 22:04

I forgot about this post I was doing on my Wahine model
I have not worked on this for some time as I had to find out if the project was going ahead.
I have now decided to finish this off and here are some links to the model as it stands now more or less.

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/GZ9X
I have also started to texture the Deck Seats that contain the inflatable life rafts.

https://i.imgur.com/aIoud9I.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hV6krQG.jpg
Old 1st September 2019, 22:08

Try this I forgot the "s" in https

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GZ9X3
Old 1st September 2019, 22:22

I do also have a question I would like to ask anyone who might know.

The decks of most ships back then were covered in a Dunlop rubber product known as Semdek, in Wahine's case it was also a product called Semprene, depending if it was passenger or crew areas, now Semdeck was about 3/8 thick according to builders spec while the Semprene was about 1.5-1.75 inch thick.
Does anybody know anything about this in as far as having seen it or better still applied it?
I need to know if it was a rubber based surface, I suspect it was and the name Semprene kind of tells me maybe it was neoprene based but it's a guess.
The Old maritime museum on Queens wharf back when I used to haunt it's archive in the 80,s actually had a 6x 6 inch sample of the stuff and I remember it looked like a slab of cork with green paint on it, It has since been lost....trust me I spent 2 days trying to find it.
I also know that Rangatira 2 had this as well.

I have started to try to make the material for the decks and this is only a first draft but this is how I have it, PLEASE if anyone has any comments about this I really would like to know as there is a heck of a lot of this on the ship, it needs to be right.

https://i.imgur.com/JYYxxtp.jpg

Ignore the raised ribbing, that was just a test as the enclosed promanade had this on floor.
I suspect many of you who have been to sea have seen this stuff all day and not really even thought about it.

Last edited by RSDS; 2nd September 2019 at 10:39..
Old 12th September 2019, 08:30

Martin if you read this I have sent you an email to your old Yahoo account and I could not send you a private message here as your box is full.