Cargo plan: Glenroy, voy.17 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cargo plan: Glenroy, voy.17

User Tag List

Old 21st June 2011, 09:30

My location
One doesn't have to be looking for long at the photo of the Glen boat alongside Holt's Wharf to realise that there's not much going on! Twenty two derricks 'topped' and not a sling of cargo in the air to be seen.
This tells me the photo must have been taken on 10th Oct., Christmas Day or, much more likely, at chow time, noon to 1pm..
That immediately puts me in mind of Noel Coward's rendition of his song, Mad Dogs and Englishmen, for in that song the final verse goes:-
Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.
In Hong Kong, they strike a gong, and fire off a noonday gun.
To reprimand each inmate, who's in late.
In Bengal to move at all, is seldom if ever done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
Out in the midday, out in the midday, out in the midday sun!

The Noonday Gun was located opposite the Excelsior Hotel and is still-so I believe- fired everyday at noon. In 1968 Coward visited Hong Kong and himself fired the gun.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:38
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Hugh,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to scan and post these cargo plans and accompanying photos - all the more important as it's really part of history now, and I doubt many of us had the foresight to preserve such things!
If you have any more items hidden away in your archive then please post them as they're sure to rekindle the memories of many members.

Jim
Old 21st June 2011, 12:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
[QUOTE=
Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.
In Hong Kong, they strike a gong, and fire off a noonday gun.
To reprimand each inmate, who's in late.
In Bengal to move at all, is seldom if ever done,
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
Out in the midday, out in the midday, out in the midday sun!

The Noonday Gun was located opposite the Excelsior Hotel and is still-so I believe- fired everyday at noon. In 1968 Coward visited Hong Kong and himself fired ther gun.[/QUOTE]

The gun was mounted at Jardines Godown and legend has it that it was to be fired as a punishment back in the days when Jardines consisted of heavily armed opium runners, I can't remember exactly why, something to do with having more guns than the Governor ! It was also fired to bring in the New Year either by the owners/ directors at Jardines , or by invitation to some notables eg the retiring Governor of H.K one year I was there. Any Jardines ships in port at the time were invited and more important, the booze was all free !
Great memories and good company to sail with

Mike
Old 21st June 2011, 13:13

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Hugh,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to scan and post these cargo plans and accompanying photos - all the more important as it's really part of history now, and I doubt many of us had the foresight to preserve such things!
If you have any more items hidden away in your archive then please post them as they're sure to rekindle the memories of many members.
I probably have, Jim, the problem is that I haven't a clue how to lay a hand on it, it just has to stay where it is until I happen to stumble across it! Both my wife and I seem to possess a gene that compels us never to throw anything away and that's the result: a far greater chaos than ever existed amongst all those junks alongside a Bluey all those years ago.

And thanks, Mike, for the reminder that Jardines had something to do with the noonday gun. When I couldn't recall the words of the song I Googled, "Mad dogs of Englishmen" and there it was together with the mention of Jardines.
(Incidentally, I can never remember if it was China Navigation Co. they managed and, by the way, did you ever bump into Leslie Money out there?)
Old 21st June 2011, 16:08
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

Hugh-The story (in many variations)is that it was custom for a gun salute to be given to departing Jardine Taipan -this so infurated a governor at the time that the firm was comanded to fire the gun at noon- hence the custom. the gun to--day sits on the spot were Jardine's built their first office in Hong Kong. It is as Mike mentions also fired to welcome in the new year.Their ship owning operations came under Indo China Steam Navigation Co Ltd.one of the original directors being a senior partner of MacGregor Gow & Holland the founders of Glen Line through this old connection Jardines were agents for Glen Line. To commemorate the 150 years of Jardine Matheson the company published an illustrated book "The Thistle and The Jade" edited by Maggie Keswick- I'm sure you would enjoy reading it if you could come across a copy, in it is a photo of Noel Coward fiiring the Gun. Regards Teb,

Last edited by teb; 22nd June 2011 at 02:13..
Old 21st June 2011, 16:25

My location
Thanks Teb for the gun explanation, I knew they upset someone ! Also thanks for putting Hugh right re China Nav. They were regarded as the competition but secretly I always thought they had far more exotic runs than Jardines (shades of the Clacutta run - oh joy ! )
No I don't recall bumping into anyone by that name Hugh, but there again the way the memory is going I could have been bosom pals with him and forgotten by now !
My apologies for trespassing into the Glen Line area, but I think all of us who spent time in the Far East have many memories in common .....a lot that couldn't be mentioned here maybe !

Mike
Old 21st June 2011, 17:30

My location
As Jim makes mention of in post #27, these things rekindle memories. After posting the first thumbnail I too had some memories rekindled! Memories of being down No.3 hold, in the port of Tsing Tao, loading frozen hen eggs.
They came in cartons, frozen solid and weighing about 60/70 lbs each. The lower hold had been filled and just had the beams and hatch slabs shipped for continueing the loading into the Orlop Deck (lower 'tween deck) wing compartments. The first sling, grossly over-loaded, clipped the coaming thus spilling, what must have amounted to a couple of tons of frozen egg in cartons, down the hatch as it were.
You can just imagine that lot, complying with the law of gravity over more than twenty five feet, having a lot of energy to dispose of before it came to a standstill. All I was able to do to get out of its way was to crouch, with my back to the side of the refrigerated compartment, and pray. The labour seemed to have been a bit sharper and had disappeared into an empty compartment.
So, having missed the first onslaught I now had no option but to witness the second! That was caused by the wooden hatch slabs acting as a springboard and causing most of the frozen egg cartons to bounce back up into the air. Again the law of gravity did its stuff proving that what goes up must come down. It did just that and I found myself half buried in the damned stuff.
Well, apart from a bit of bruising and surprisingly, a broken metal buckle on one of my shoes, I survived and was able to climb up on deck.
Just another of those instances which had Sister Elleff once remarking that I seemed to have led a charmed life!
Old 21st June 2011, 18:31
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Jardines or CNco: A world apart. Dreamy days.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:42

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
Jardines or CNco: A world apart. Dreamy days.
Amen to that !

Mike
Old 19th July 2011, 09:08

My location
Wondering if any of you old China hands ever bumped into a Leslie Money in Hong Kong?
Old 19th July 2011, 11:28
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
A forum for Hong Kong companies would be a great idea.
The tramps and steamers out of Hong Kong were a large part of our maritime heritage and provided jobs for hundreds of British seafarers.
Most of the officers and masters on HK ships came out of established liner companies and were looking for a bit of romance sailing the China seas.
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:25
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Dockworker
Active: 1939 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
The thumbnail is of a piece I found stuck on the back of a fine painting I have of the Glenroy. Nice place for a boy to grow up in, a home overlooking Scott's Yard, Greenock.
My father served on Glenroy during the war, My website glenroy.freeservers.com has photos and variuos articles.
Including engineering details. I would love to see a picture of your painting. I have photos but want to someday make a model of glenroy in her wartrime role. Finding details out is actually pretty hard.
i have a request from ScottishNational archives for her plans, But as she was modified several times during the war, the devil is in the detail.