Cumberland - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cumberland

User Tag List

Old 5th September 2009, 14:02

Hi to all you ex mariners. I did a home trade run on the Cumberland in 62 as
2nd cook.This was preceeeded by voyages on the Derby and Huntindon. and followed by a great trip on the Cornwall where everyone was armed with water pistols! Then joined Port Line, (bad move) afterwards Shaw Saville, (very good move) as Cook, finishing up on my all time favourite the Zealandic.
Although she could roll in dry dock, she was the happiest ship I sailed on!
Old 8th March 2013, 16:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1978

hi,does anyone remember toni zacc' & mick winterbottom from the 'cumberland' in 1972'we were deckboy first trippers
Old 9th March 2013, 05:31

Santos...It could have been SOMERSET, I'm sure she had her colour change in Birkenhead.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:15
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

I was on the Somerset in 1977, I left just after the dry-dock in Falmouth around August. She was black then. Following this though she was then chartered to OCL and their ships were all painted 'Brunswick Green' maybe it was her that was painted, although a few years later, and Brunswick green is quite dark......
Old 15th May 2013, 04:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoni zaccardelli View Post
hi,does anyone remember toni zacc' & mick winterbottom from the 'cumberland' in 1972'we were deckboy first trippers
When in 1972? Winterbottom rings a faint bell. I was on the Cumberland from June 72 onwards.
barrinoz.
Old 1st June 2013, 11:19

Cumberland 1972 Lyttelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrinoz View Post
When in 1972? Winterbottom rings a faint bell. I was on the Cumberland from June 72 onwards.
barrinoz.
Does anyone remember Terry Clark?? He was a Scottish guy on the Cumberland, January 1972. Lyttelton Christchurch, NZ
Old 4th July 2014, 21:58
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
Hi, I was an Assistant Engineer on the Cumberland for two trips from October 1973 until December 1974.
Although we had to work hard on the first trip because it kept breaking down, I enjoyed the 'H' boat atmosphere so much, I returned for a second trip before I decided to have a change of ship.
If anyone sailed on her during this same period please get in touch.
Hi Steve,

I was also on the Cumberland in 1975 (my first trip). Here are some of my photos:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...0/ppuser/27756

Recognise anybody?

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 27th December 2015, 09:45
Active: 1974 - 1977

Hello Steve
I'm Sure i sailed with you on the Cumberland I was a first trip AEO joined in London May 74 .Sailed to Holland for bunkers then Fiji. Samoa.And then Kiwi .
CE was Bill Murray
S E Graham Sayers + Wife
4th George Jacklin
Lecky .John
First trip R/O who's name i cant remember
Fridge.Eric
Bing .boiler man.
Cheers

Mark

Last edited by mark modrzynski; 28th December 2015 at 07:43..
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:47
Active: 1972 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark modrzynski View Post
Hello Steve
I'm Sure i sailed with you on the Cumberland I was a first trip AEO joined in London May 74 .Sailed to Holland for bunkers then Fiji. Samoa.And then Kiwi .
CE was Bill Murray
S E Graham Sayers + Wife
4th George Jacklin
Lecky .John
First trip R/O who's name i cant remember
Fridge.Eric
Bing .boiler man.
Cheers

Mark
I joined the Cumberland in Bluff from the Otaki as cadet on 5th October 1974. Had a couple of days there then two weeks in Chalmers on the 'wood berth' then back to Europe via Panama. The 3/E was a kiwi guy, had a beard but no moustache. George the 4/E had what could only be described as a very full head of hair!
I also remember one incident when Bing ripped his shorts - (yes, shorts in the ER!) - referred to them as his best bagging-off shorts!

Forty one years ago...............
Old 15th January 2016, 12:14

Well Alan I never knew you were on the Cumberland. She was my first ship as AEO and most of the above were on her then. We sailed together in the Stathmuir.
I went on to teach after leaving P&O. I think we have messaged in the past.
Old 4th August 2017, 05:28
Active: 1958 - 1965

I joined the Cumberland in Liverpool in May 1959 as 2nd R/O. My first ship. Did not know where NZ was and wondered why the calendar on the radio room wall had mid summers say in the middle of winter. Left Liverpool in the evening and I went on my first ever watch and had never been in a live radio room before. As we left Liverpool there was an SOS, a ship called, if I recollect, British Cable was sinking. I never thought I would actually ever experience an SOS! Tried to wake up 1st R/O but he just mumbled "log it, ignore it, lots more ships in the Irish Sea".
Old 4th August 2017, 08:17

Cant remember the dates too well, but I think it was when I was in Bluff on the Cumberland. The Port opened their new All Weather loaders which took frozen lamb direct from the sheds to the ship's hold in huge 'elephant trunks'.
One of the benefits of being an RO was that there was not much to do in port so the Stevedore companies would hire you as watchmen etc. I was hired to keep a log of the operation of the new All weather Loader. The first entry in the log was 'All weather Loaders stopped due to bad weather'. The Stevedore companies had not negotiated new conditions with the wharf unions, who had a rule that loading of frozen goods stopped when it rained. The wharf crew had a special member assigned to staying out on the wharf to tell the rest of the crew when it started to rain.
When I was employed as a tallyman, I started a competition between two loading crews to see who could load the most in the shortest time. All was going well until the union rep came and clobbered me.
I bought a frozen lamb in Bluff for 10/6d (1959) took it back to London in the freezer machine room, then caught a train from London to Edinburgh with the frozen lamb over my shoulder. By the time I got to Edinburgh, it was hanging limply over my shoulder.
Old 4th August 2017, 10:14
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl2axh View Post
Cant remember the dates too well, but I think it was when I was in Bluff on the Cumberland. The Port opened their new All Weather loaders which took frozen lamb direct from the sheds to the ship's hold in huge 'elephant trunks'.
One of the benefits of being an RO was that there was not much to do in port so the Stevedore companies would hire you as watchmen etc. I was hired to keep a log of the operation of the new All weather Loader. The first entry in the log was 'All weather Loaders stopped due to bad weather'. The Stevedore companies had not negotiated new conditions with the wharf unions, who had a rule that loading of frozen goods stopped when it rained. The wharf crew had a special member assigned to staying out on the wharf to tell the rest of the crew when it started to rain.
When I was employed as a tallyman, I started a competition between two loading crews to see who could load the most in the shortest time. All was going well until the union rep came and clobbered me.
I bought a frozen lamb in Bluff for 10/6d (1959) took it back to London in the freezer machine room, then caught a train from London to Edinburgh with the frozen lamb over my shoulder. By the time I got to Edinburgh, it was hanging limply over my shoulder.
Z12, your story about the lamb reminds me of my trip on Rangitane as third freezer in 1957.
This was the year after rationing in Britain finished and the idea of taking a hind quarter or so appealed to a few of the eigineers. A crawl up a fan duct after defroasting saw a beast or two out and into the brine room for dissecting and the final journey to mum's dinner plate.
Great times

Bob
Old 7th August 2017, 01:09

Quote:
I joined the Cumberland in Liverpool in May 1959 as 2nd R/O. My first ship. Did not know where NZ was and wondered why the calendar on the radio room wall had mid summers say in the middle of winter. Left Liverpool in the evening and I went on my first ever watch and had never been in a live radio room before. As we left Liverpool there was an SOS, a ship called, if I recollect, British Cable was sinking. I never thought I would actually ever experience an SOS! Tried to wake up 1st R/O but he just mumbled "log it, ignore it, lots more ships in the Irish Sea".
Like you, my first trip was on the Cumberland as 2nd R/O. Unforgettable experience with a great bunch of shipmates.

I dreaded the prospect of picking up an SOS as my Morse was so bad. Never attended Radio College and was self taught. Got the hang of it eventually but in the early days I used to record all my Morse comms on a cassette recorder and play them back later to find out what they said

Here's me in the Cumberland in 1974. Looks like the same calendar on the wall of your radio room!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cumberland 1974.jpg (102.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 4th September 2018, 16:51

I was one of the assistant engineers on her for her last voyage. loved every minute of it, worked hard and played hard, which we all certainly did.
Old 5th September 2018, 02:47

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Head View Post
Like you, my first trip was on the Cumberland as 2nd R/O. Unforgettable experience with a great bunch of shipmates.

I dreaded the prospect of picking up an SOS as my Morse was so bad. Never attended Radio College and was self taught. Got the hang of it eventually but in the early days I used to record all my Morse comms on a cassette recorder and play them back later to find out what they said

Here's me in the Cumberland in 1974. Looks like the same calendar on the wall of your radio room!
Didn't know you could be an R/O without PMG!
Had a look through your other photos and there is one of the Cumberland in Bluff with a good view of the 'all weather loaders'.
I got a perk job for the stevedores when the all weather loaders were first used. Job was to record all the events which impacted their use. My first entry was "All Weather Loaders stopped due to rain."
Since none of the wharfies could see what was happening outside they had to employ an extra one for the gang to stand on the wharf and tell them when it rained!!!
Old 5th September 2018, 05:29

Quote:
Didn't know you could be an R/O without PMG!
Had a look through your other photos and there is one of the Cumberland in Bluff with a good view of the 'all weather loaders'.
I got a perk job for the stevedores when the all weather loaders were first used. Job was to record all the events which impacted their use. My first entry was "All Weather Loaders stopped due to rain."
Since none of the wharfies could see what was happening outside they had to employ an extra one for the gang to stand on the wharf and tell them when it rained!!!
Yes, those wharfies were crazy with their rain stops and whatever. Good for us though, with nice long stays in each port!

I never went to Radio School. I trained as an broadcast electronics technician but was keen to go to sea and did the extra marine studies on my own. Passed the 2nd Class PMG exam but only just scraped through the Morse test