J Ray McDermott - North Sea late 70's - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J Ray McDermott - North Sea late 70's

User Tag List

Old 8th September 2014, 14:35
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1969 - 2005

antwerp base

hi evrybody,

in antwerp i was the waterclerck (ship's agent) for mc dermott inc,i have been on board nearly all barges and tugs/suply vessels of that tim 70/75 i do have good memory's of you all, pensioned now. after mc dermott i went back to sea and sailed for ferry's in the med sea.
always happy to meet somebody from the mc dermott era
regards
capt frank verhoeven
Old 8th September 2014, 14:36
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1969 - 2005

[QUOTE=frank verhoeven;1037090]hi evrybody,

in antwerp i was the waterclerck (ship's agent) for mc dermott inc,i have been on board nearly all barges and tugs/suply vessels of that tim 70/75 i do have good memory's of you all, pensioned now. after mc dermott i went back to sea and sailed for ferry's in the med sea.
always happy to meet somebody from the mc dermott era
regards
capt frank verhoeven
Old 31st August 2016, 09:43

I worked on the heather a platform installation,cant remember the McDermott's barge(22 perhaps) Spanish welder was killed welding in the bearcage when a wire holding the 48 inch pipe snapped. The barge got caught in a big swell which damaged the crane. We were towed to Rotterdam fortunately we had a dustbin full on homebrew to help us along. I worked for hydrospace at the time as a diver.
Unto Kinsale head in ireland ,again for McDermott the barge was caught in a bad storm,one tug broke down and the anchors were dragging. Ordered to don survival suits as the barge was getting close to the beach. Some lads were in sat,what they must have thought! Anyway the winds dropped and all was well.
Talking of barge supers I remember Toby Thorpe on the lb 26,in the galley eating prawn gumbo with his hands whilst he wouldn't tolerate sleeveless t shirts in the galley. One time a Lebanese diver stepped of the helicopter dressed only in yellow silk shorts,toby was watching,smoking his huge cigar,spitting everywhere,he said " I am not prejudiced but get that -+&_# off my barge.
I worked on the lb 26,some good lads,denis berry,tim astley,jim Montgomery's et all. The deck foreman,dressed head to toe in denim,was called Danny. it was a good pipelaying barge. Also worked on the 15,17,27. Really enjoyed the etpm 501,at meal times we had apperitifes,wine with the meal etc.very civilised. Did some time on the castoro 5 in the gulf when we ran out of fresh water and food,no aircon in the cabins,it was rough. Anyway enough for now
Old 31st August 2016, 18:17
Active: 1981 - Present

I see you found it Bonchester - Great. Thanks for the interesting info.
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:44
Active: 1968 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav View Post
Yes Norman! "Stop her and drop her!" in a southern droll is forever ingrained in my mind.

I also recall a catamaran tug, the Jaramac66? which towed some barges on longer journeys, supposedly very efficient but costly to run because under American Bureau classification it had to have two crews of engineers because there were two engine rooms. I came across her later in Brunei in 1980 where she was only ever used for towing as she could not handle anchors. The crew lazed about the deck in the sunshine all day waiting for something to do.
I remember hearing about the catamaran tug when I worked for McDermott in the late 70s, Gulf of Mexico on an old single screw direct drive tug (which I think was named the J Ray McDermott) - when the engine was running the screw was turning.

Does anybody remember a direct drive tug owned by JRM? Used for anchor handling in the gulf. I only stayed one hitch as deckhand and went to work for Robin.
Old 12th November 2016, 16:45

Does anyone know Kevin Banks, a good friend i worked with for B+R in the North Sea and Asia, he was on that Mcdermott (Brand X) barge that sank off Hong Kong back in the 90's and terrible that the divers in sat. had no chance.
Kevin was picked up by chopper and lived in Thailand then but i lost touch so any info would be just lovely. - Alan Bodell.
Old 10th September 2018, 17:04
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1986

There was a Mike Brown, who ended up as Chief Eng on the JB4. I think he replaced Alex, a wee Scotsman, can't remember his surname.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore Engineer View Post
I managed to get hold of Graham Wallace and have been corresponding with him, he got out of the offshore game in 85 and opened up a business with his wife importing, making and selling Terracotta pots, by all accounts he has been at it all these years and has done very well for himself, Doc Diesel is still in Antwerp living with his woman, knowing the Doc he probably got lost leaving Lillo and decided to stay in Belgium. I think the guy mike that you are refering to got tied up with several women in Antwerp on the rebound after his wife kicked him out, I did hear tha a long lost Daughter turned up from out of the blue and that was the thick end of the wedge, all of his women went ape and he replaced them all or something like that, do you remember Midgly Electrician on the 27, he did not go home for a couple of trips as he was shacked up some woman in Antwerp and his wife came on board the 27 looking for him, couldnt find him and ended up getting laid by all of the Mechs and Elects on board, Midgly turned up on the Monday morning ready for work and found his wife well and truly shagged as they say, there was hell on over that little episode. I will see what other info I can get hold of and get back to you
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:48

Jb4

Worked as barge clerk 75 - 76 Capt. Tex and Lee Oliver also Papa Joe.
Played a lot of poker, anyone remember Sammy the raido op.?
Old 15th February 2019, 05:28

Worked as barge clerk on JB4 75-76. Good time. Charlie Carr was chief eng.
Old 15th February 2019, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore Engineer View Post
I joined McD 1973 0n JB3 jetting the first North Sea line from Ekofisk to Middlesborough, worked on her until she transfered to the States and work in the GOM, joined DB 100 in Korea during construction phase, then back to North Sea on JB4, did a couple of stints on the LB 23 & 27. Antwerp was a dream of a place to be with many very interesting nights in Lillo-Fort with head-aches next morning, what a wild bunch of real offshore guys in the early days" No sea too rought-No M**f too tough". Tex Cargil, Charlie Mathews, Joe Huskins, Lee Oliver, Vinney Esponge, all deck crew guys, The late Tony Tucker and his Engineering crew, just to name a few, have boxes of photos at home, but for now am off-shore Mexico, will post photos at a later date.

Worked as barge clerk on JB4 75-76. Good time. Charlie Carr was chief eng.
Old 4th October 2019, 07:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1967 - 2016

Hello, Im a new member with a couple of questions.
Anybody remember:
1) In what year did McDermott move the (former NOL) semi-sub NARWAL (later DB101) from North Sea to Bombay High to work throughout the summer (Southwest Monsoon season in Arabian Sea) for ONGC? The thinking was NARWAL would work throughout the monsoon season (15 May to 15 Sept each year, approximately) while all mono hull DBs could not work. The India work was performed by McDermott Dubai and managed by Cliff Bell, a division engineer who transferred to Dubai from Brussels a year or so earlier.
2). Tug ALPHONSE LETZER? Does anybody recall when she mobilized was from Antwerp to Middle East? If so, was she towing NARWAL, i.e. part of the spread mobilized for the same ONGC work referred to 1 above?

Id appreciate any relevant information. Thanks.