Liverpool Watering Holes - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liverpool Watering Holes

User Tag List

Old 18th May 2007, 23:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Seven Steps

Seven Steps today as a design studio. Formerly managed by Mrs Gavin and daughter Angela
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0219.jpg (18.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 18th May 2007, 23:55

My location
Pig & Whistle

Pig & Whistle as it was before someone came along a couple of years ago and "modernised" it. Sacrilege!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw 1.jpg (18.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg pw 2.jpg (18.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 19th May 2007, 00:07

My location
The Cornmarket which has been knocked through and now includes the Bull's Tit

The Slaughter House which has taken on Irish nationality over the last few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cmkt.jpg (18.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg slth.jpg (19.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 19th May 2007, 07:16

Eldersuk,
Quite agree about the Pig & Whistle it is nothing short of a sacrilege.
Recall going in there quite a bit in the early 60s and there was a sort of routine going on where one day you would find the office workers from around the vicinity standing at the bar drinking and the dockers would be sitting down and another day vice versa. Can't say it was some tacit agreement but just an observation of some 40/45 years ago. U'stand the present owner is a 'scouse ' property developer. Hmmmm!!!
Old 19th May 2007, 10:48
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1963

I remember the Bull's Head well! Beloved of Elder Dempster's Pursers Staff. The telephone number was even taped to the 'phone on Mary McGarry's desk in the Pursers Dept, India Buildings, in case the Superintendent wanted someone whilst we drinking our lunch.
Old 19th May 2007, 11:56

How about the American Bar opposite Lime Street Station. I came out of the station one day and there were mobs of people behind a cordoned off area. Someone had parked a flash Mercedes right outside the pub - a no parking area and, as anyone who knows the area will verify, an insane place to park a car.

At the time (late '70s), it was even more insane to park a car with Irish number plates there! The army bomb disposal team were there and this Michael York lookalike officer marched up to the car and smashed a rear window with his swagger stick - he was posing a bit but who wouldn't have? He then chucked a detonator onto the back seat, led a pair of leads back to their truck and blew the crap out of the car and the owner's No Claims Bonus.

Fortunately, there was no bomb in the vehicle and the clientele of the American Bar returned to their pints.

Can I claim one of those Murky Navy badges for being present at this incident?

John T.
Old 19th May 2007, 13:13

The 'Flat Iron' in Toxteth. Don't know it real name but obviously got its name from its location on a 'V' junction. A real 'deck crowd' pub with 'frisco rig' (YOYO gear) being taken apart methodically over 'Brown overs'.
Old 19th May 2007, 14:00

My location
Hi Trotterpotdom

The American is still there good place for a pint on a sunday night as everywhere else slams its doors shut at 10 on a sunday night. As for the slaughterhouse being an Irish boozer I think every pub in Liverpool is if LFC are at home the weekend. A taxi driver wearing an Everton shirt once said to me "if it wasnt for you Paddy's Anfield and the city centre would be empty every saturday. When I travel to England to watch Leeds I stay in Liverpool because its a better night out the only pub I drink in with a nautical theme is the White Star on Mathew St.

Last edited by kottemann; 19th May 2007 at 14:07..
Old 20th May 2007, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALTRA View Post
Still have Liverpool "Wine Lodge" nightmares, morning after St. Patricks day '64, going down into the hold to dodge and feel sorry for myself to be handed a cup of coffee by a kind B&I docker of Irish extraction. I could feel it going down, hitting the fetid Aussie wine churning around and coming straight back up at full pressure to hit the bulkhead and change its colour to bright purple, and me a pale grey, dt days !!!!
Charley,
There is an old 'China boat' yarn about the 'Yates's Wine Lodge in Moorfields'
'The 'crowd' were sitting around one evening discussing ' how far north could one expect to see Dolphins'. Various people had claimed to see them off Lands Ends and as expected the Welsh members claimed they were sighted off Bardsey etc,etc. One 'old timer' Aussie Burke (at 84, the oldest seagoing AB in 'the China' in the early/mid 60s) after much reflection claimed to seen Dolphins outside 'the Wine Lodge on Moorfields'
Old 20th May 2007, 19:48

My location
I can remember some popular Liverpool pubs from the 1950s,not mentioned so far. 'The Temple Bar' in Dale St.. 'The Spanish Winehouse' in Whitechapel??. 'Dolly's' and 'The Duckhouse' 'The Garrick'. 'Oily Joes' in Oil St. I am sure that some of these were not their real names.
Cheers. Bruce.
Old 21st May 2007, 17:17

There was a pub behind 'Rigby's close to the 'Hole in the Wall' known as 'Walters'. Closest pub in Liverpool in the early 60s to what is commonly found in 'the square mile' in London. Famous for its warm Roast Beef sandwiches.
Old 21st May 2007, 17:45
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Not a pub but there should be a few who remember Stan Wa(l)ters outside Odyssey Works - Mug of tea and two rounds of toast
Old 21st May 2007, 19:26

Oily Joe's

Was called this as it was at the bottom of Oil Street. When us Custom's lads drank there in the mid 70's, the landlady was called Nell. She commanded respect but was a good laugh with everyone. There was never any trouble in there as she could nip it in the bud with a withering look. Nell's partner was a bloke called Mike who used to be a Mate off the Irish boats. The Guinness served there was the finest around as Mike had it brought over from Dublin on the B&I ferries Munster and Leinster that berthed at Trafalgar Dock just over the road. You could gain access at odd times of the day by tapping on the side door with your ring finger. Even the local bobbies used that trick. Oh happy days with lager at 25p a pint.
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:15
Active: 1964 - 1972

My location
A pub I remember visiting was opposite the rail station and if my memory is correct you had to navigate down a few stairs to get to the bar. It was also close to the Post Office.

Although I spent a lot of time around Liverpool I cant remember many of the pubs. Perhaps it was the state I was in at the end of the night. But I must have been sober at sometime.

Can anyone remember falling asleep on the bus back to the docks.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothesian View Post
thought I might just list a few favourites before they all disappear - most probably gone already
Aigberth Arms obviously, Crocodile (Who was the barmaid in the mid sixties who ready looked after Blue Flue middy's when they were poorly? I remember in 64 being somewhat under the weather from the night before and being given a glass of Ferny Branko (Spelling?) but not to smell it - did the trick for about 3 hours then relapsed again), The Flying Angel (3/6d for 3 course lunch 3d extra for a cup of tea), 41 club upper parliament street (run by Hughie Fish), Blue Angel (some great music), 7 Steps at Toxteth (run by Angela and Mum, who made sure you got back to your ship safely with wallet intact)
any more?
How about " the Crooked Billet " in Hackins Hey?
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:01

My location
Raybnz's pub sounds like the 'New Court'

Derek
Old 23rd May 2007, 07:29

There used to be a pub situated almost opposite the Shipping Federation on Mann Island. Situated in a small run of building just after the Flying Angel. Can anyone remember it's name.
Old 23rd May 2007, 09:59

My location
Don't forget the Globe and the Carnarvon Castle in the city centre. Together with the then numerous Wine Lodges, they were always part of the "Lamport" crawl in the late fifties/early sixties. I was in both of them yesterday on one of my frequent Liverpool "pilgrimages", still very much as they were, although I've read that the Carnarvon is having it's tiled frontage replaced by sliding/folding doors to create an outside area for smoking.
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:03
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hague View Post
There used to be a pub situated almost opposite the Shipping Federation on Mann Island. Situated in a small run of building just after the Flying Angel. Can anyone remember it's name.
Custom House, canning place??
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothesian View Post
Custom House, canning place??
Thanks Alistair!
Old 23rd May 2007, 20:26

I need help on this one. There was a pub along by the 'Seven Steps' known as the 'The Devils'. Frequented by the HMs local 'rummage crew' in addition to the usual Moss Hutchinson etc, etc. What was its real name?. May have been some religious connotation as there was the 'Bishops' nearby. As I'm writing it could have been 'The Angel'. Not sure.
Old 24th May 2007, 00:01

My location
"The Devils" was the Coburg Hotel opposite Coburg Dock - no idea why it was so called.

Derek
Old 24th May 2007, 00:18

My location
I remember two Liverpool pubs with particular nostalgia. The Langton Castle on the corner of Regent Road and Nelson Street is closed but still standing. I seem to recall that it was near Gladstone Dock, but that could be my memory playing tricks. It was a handsome building in its heyday.
http://www.liverpoolviews.co.uk/pier...k/langton.html

The other pub was the Bootle Arms. It was still there in 1964, but I can't find a trace of its existence on t'web. I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned it; am I the only member who's old enough to remember it? Perhaps I was so pissed that I just imagined it!
Old 24th May 2007, 07:02

Murda,
The 'Langton Castle' was indeed a handsome pub with a 'bronze shade' of exterior tiling. The 'pint' was nothing special. The 'Bootle Arms' is remembered but not for any real significance other than that it 'sailing day'.
Old 24th May 2007, 20:59
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
All

Right, who remembers the SHE club, No 42, Captains Cabin and was it the Pen and Wig Just down the Road. Along the Docks my favoorite was the A1 at Lloyds, before it was redesigned. And to all those who did their Masters and Mates etc at Byron Street Poly the Bar there and the struggle to get back for PM lectures. There were 2 barmaids and if I remember rightly a guy taking mates, called John Parrish,I think, brought 1 of them a Jack Russel puppy for her Birthday! Oh follies of youth how I enjoyed 'em!

Dick