Shillong collision....1957 - Ships Nostalgia
21:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shillong collision....1957

User Tag List

Old 28th May 2007, 12:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
Shillong collision....1957

Can anyone tell me the names of the two who were killed in the collision which sank the Shillong in 1957

Barnsey
Old 28th May 2007, 15:36

My location
Shillong Collision

I did not know that there were human casualities on Shillong when she collided with Belgium tanker but 5 race horses were lost. There were to be 7 but 2 missed her and came with us in BI Palikonda. The collision occured in the Red Sea
Old 28th May 2007, 17:00
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Shillong 8934 tons. Sank with the loss of 3 lives when in collision with Purfina Congo 190 miles south of Suez. Date 22nd October 1957. Carrying passengers and cargo from Hamburg via London to Tsingtao. She had 87 crew and 6 passengers.
Old 30th May 2007, 16:20

Shillong sinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsey View Post
Can anyone tell me the names of the two who were killed in the collision which sank the Shillong in 1957

Barnsey
Hello,You will find a full account of the sinking of the Shillong in this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diary-Thames-Pilot-John-Foot.

John was an Officer in P&O and was familiar with the personel involved.I left that ship at the end of the previous voyage to study for 1st mates.
Old 5th October 2015, 16:34

Shillong sinking

Correction. The description of the sinking is in John Foot's 2nd book
"Marine Pilot" obtainable from Abebooks.com
Old 5th October 2015, 17:55

My location
From the book, "An Agony of Collisions" by Peter Padfield records the fatal casualties as being the 3rd cadet and the Chief Steward-no names given.
Old 7th September 2019, 12:08

Shillong Collision 1957

Help wanted. On the evening of 22nd October 1957 the P&O vessel Shillong was in collision with the Belgian tanker Purfina Congo in the Gulf of Suez.
My question is why was the 2nd Officer of the Shillong on the 8-12 watch at the time of the collision? Normally in P&O the 3rd Officer kept the 8-12 watch and should have been on the bridge at the time.
As Shillong was heading South approaching the busy and congested waters of Ras Gharib light and the important course alteration point, was the Captain also on the bridge?
Strangely, in spite of the loss of the vessel and tragic loss of life, as far as I am aware there was not an official enquiry held into this incident.
Any clarification on these points would be much appreciated and of interest.