Western Geophysical - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Western Geophysical

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2014, 02:25

For all those suffering seismic nostalgia check out the following pages on face book;
old wgc doodlebuggers.
geosource.
you know you work in seismic.
old wgc and geosource are closed sites but anyone who worked in the game is welcome.
Old 18th May 2014, 08:17

Worked as a Gun mechanic on the Western Island, Western Endeavour, Western Oddysey, 1980 - 1986
Worked in the Singapore shipyards fitting out the Western Oddysey, Western Pacific and Western Orient, Stretched the Endeavour 30 odd feet.
Did 6 years with them, will post a a couple pics later.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:30

Western's ships

Hi, I worked for Western Geophysical (marine) for a few years, before joining other seismic companies. The vessels I worked on seem to be a bit earlier than posts on here mention.
Western Sea, Herengus ( an ex Norwegian fish survey vessel, Polar Hav, and Karen Bravo.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:50

Danny Speight query

I am not on facebook but I believe that the whaler Danny shows in "photos, you know you work in seismic when" is the Polar Hav.
Old 29th November 2014, 07:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1981

G'day Doodle I'm more about your time, was on the Western 3 then Dantzler Ash. Was on the rig up of the Karen Bravo in Esbjerg & stayed with her for 6 to 9 months approx until 3 of us stormed off 1 night in Lerwick!
Had a couple of good mates on the Polar Hav Peter Hall & Bob Childs. Bob is still doing a bit of bird dogging would you believe,I later worked for delta ,GSI & Tidewater Marine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle View Post
Hi, I worked for Western Geophysical (marine) for a few years, before joining other seismic companies. The vessels I worked on seem to be a bit earlier than posts on here mention.
Western Sea, Herengus ( an ex Norwegian fish survey vessel, Polar Hav, and Karen Bravo.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Terrey View Post
G'day Doodle I'm more about your time, was on the Western 3 then Dantzler Ash. Was on the rig up of the Karen Bravo in Esbjerg & stayed with her for 6 to 9 months approx until 3 of us stormed off 1 night in Lerwick!
Had a couple of good mates on the Polar Hav Peter Hall & Bob Childs. Bob is still doing a bit of bird dogging would you believe,I later worked for delta ,GSI & Tidewater Marine.
I remember your name, but not you. I worked as junior observer on the Western Sea then on SatNav, gravity & magnetics on the other crews. Last met Bob in the Kings Head, London about 1980. He ended up on our sofa overnight.
Regards, Richard Musgrave
Old 30th November 2014, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle View Post
I remember your name, but not you. I worked as junior observer on the Western Sea then on SatNav, gravity & magnetics on the other crews. Last met Bob in the Kings Head, London about 1980. He ended up on our sofa overnight.
Regards, Richard Musgrave
Gathering of the old timers,King's Head, ex Polarhav,, Slim, Bob Childs, Chris Terrey, Tony Valentine, Hugh O'Halloran, etc. I remember 1970 jumping into the sea to rescue Bob when he fell off the gang plank between the ship and the wharf. Ship was surging a bit so had to get in amongst the piling to avoid it. Some one sent a line down and I tied a fancy double bowline on the bight around Bob who was looking a bit poorly by this time,, gave the signal to hoist and unhappily the beautiful knot began to unravel and Bob fell out of it, spinning like a top, and back into the water,, One of the Norwegians came down the line hand over hand and with one hand tied a clove hitch round Bob's ankle and hoisted him up like a bag of spuds. It was later pointed out to me that it was more important to get him out of the nearly frozen sea than to fool about with fancy ropework. Despite a nasty cut on his head Bob was soon out of hospital and was back on board
Old 30th November 2014, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Did any members work for a Company whose badge was the Earth with a Satellite tracking around it
No one seems to have answered your question.
The Company is/was GSI,, Geophysical Services International, originaly part of the company that became T.I., Texas Instruments. Following a complicated series of mergers/takeovers , remnants were to become Western Geco.

Last edited by reefrat; 30th November 2014 at 01:33.. Reason: spelling
Old 30th November 2014, 09:49

Sounds like Bad Billy Hogan there , we worked on the Karen Bravo for a bit.
I still use your story of you & a mate playing Tarzan walking to Darwin 3 days walk away & you find a body washed up etc.
Old 30th November 2014, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrat View Post
No one seems to have answered your question.
The Company is/was GSI,, Geophysical Services International, originaly part of the company that became T.I., Texas Instruments. Following a complicated series of mergers/takeovers , remnants were to become Western Geco.
Thanks for your answer reefrat, do you or any other members remember the Company using ex American Navy vessels for the Surveying?

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 1st December 2014, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Terrey View Post
Sounds like Bad Billy Hogan there , we worked on the Karen Bravo for a bit.
I still use your story of you & a mate playing Tarzan walking to Darwin 3 days walk away & you find a body washed up etc.
That old mate was 50 years ago, in FNQ, thanks for reminding me. If you are ever on the sunny coast give us a call.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:05

Sunny coast

If I get up that way I'll certainly be in touch but don't hold your breath! Good to hear from an old mate anyway. You mentioned blokes I haven't thought of in years !
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrat View Post
That old mate was 50 years ago, in FNQ, thanks for reminding me. If you are ever on the sunny coast give us a call.
Old 15th July 2015, 11:44

Were you with the crew in Gabon? My father was PM in Libreville.
Old 15th July 2015, 11:46

Early days of marine seismic. Do not know which vessel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1436957158767.jpg (121.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 20th July 2015, 12:15

Which crew ? Worked out of Libreville ,Gabon with the Western 111 in 1968 ? Party manager was Ugo Picciani.
Old 20th July 2015, 14:47

Yes, Ugo was my dad. I went aboard the Bayou Chico when I was about 3 or 4 years old :-) I found some old photos of Westen vessels. I wish I could post them, but I guess my access level won't let me. I also found the plaque from the Western Beach when I was clearing my parent's house out.
Old 22nd July 2015, 01:48

Ugo

Worked with Ugo for 3-4 months in late 67 early 68? On the Western 3 out of Libreville, Gabon then Douala , Cameroon. Ugo was well respected as a can do party manager & a decent bloke. You could try posting your photos on sites mentioned earlier by Reefrat , You know you work in seismic when...or Old WGC Doodlebuggers . If you do could you leave a note here ? Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 03:00

Chris, I definitely will let you know.
Old 22nd July 2015, 06:40

Photos are easy to scan and upload.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly P View Post
Yes, Ugo was my dad. I went aboard the Bayou Chico when I was about 3 or 4 years old :-) I found some old photos of Westen vessels. I wish I could post them, but I guess my access level won't let me. I also found the plaque from the Western Beach when I was clearing my parent's house out.
A photograph for you taken by myself of the 'Bayou Chico' when she was involved in the early days of survey work in the North Sea. She certainly has some sea miles under her Keel and is apparently now used as a Fishing Vessel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (144.8 KB, 34 views)

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 20th August 2015, 13:04

My Dad worked for Exxon, and he worked on the 3 different Bravo ships, found this site while looking for pictures for the ships. I believe it would have been in late 1970s, his name is Tommy Reid.
Old 22nd August 2015, 06:22
Active: 1961 - 2009

Gordie,
I sailed as First Eng on a seismic boat called the Polaris. It was on charter to GSI but owned by Astro Marine of Houston Texas. I think the emblem you describe was on her Funnels. Took her from S. Africa to Aus in 1969. Was ex mud boat don't know what else they had.
Old 23rd April 2016, 00:28

Western Geophysical

Hi all, new member after browsing this topic. I was ship based on the Western Sea for a few months in 1978/9, just before the ship was taken 'hostage' in Iraq (?) waters. Would like to catch up with any old crew members - particularly my old Rhodesian buddy Geoff. When I joined in Las Palmas the ship had been around the coast of Africa for quite a while. Anyone out there?
Old 6th May 2016, 23:20
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1966 - 1992

Wow, Chris Terrey, Bob Childs, Ugo Picchiani - All blasts from the past.

Anyone remember Victor Shammas, Roger Sharpley, Bill Donovan, Jim Denholm to name but a few from the 60's
Old 7th May 2016, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecko View Post
Wow, Chris Terrey, Bob Childs, Ugo Picchiani - All blasts from the past.

Anyone remember Victor Shammas, Roger Sharpley, Bill Donovan, Jim Denholm to name but a few from the 60's
Donovan and Sharpley ring the big gong,, Pecko are you not the famous negociator who had such a signal victory when talking to those very easy going and reasonable chaps from the Australian Seamans Union?.