Crescent Shipping - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
19:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Crescent Shipping

User Tag List

Old 4th January 2009, 15:41

Sandman
Was interested in your posting re LRTC vessels running in to Yelland. Being from Appledore,Reardon Smith would release me to obtain short amounts of qualifying seatime before sitting my tickets. I was Mate in the "Militence" in 1956 (Capt George Rayner) and again in the "Halcience"(Capt John Harris) Vernon, his brother, was senior pilot/harbourmaster whom you might know. One of my Uncles, Jim Cox was piloting till his retirement- probably before your time? Later pilots were John Hopkins/Colin Darch both ex Smiths a
Apprentices. I seem to recall that in the early days of Yelland getting going, the two vessels regularly coming in was J
"Jubilence" and "Kindrence", both ex Dutch coasters.
Kind regards
John Cann
Old 10th January 2009, 18:08

From Llyod's List of Shipowners 1957/58. All the best, Charley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (132.6 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by GALTRA; 10th January 2009 at 18:11..
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:50

ambience is another one for the list regards ian s
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:33
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1998

I was deck boy on the HALCIENCE & FAIENCE as 'holiday jobs' 1959/60 when I was doing my R/O training.
The rate of £4/2/7 a week, with 30 bob deduction for grub has always stuck in my mind.

HALCIENCE was on a regular run to Instow power station [North Devon] from South Wales ports [mostly Barry] & FAIENCE went all over the place during the time I was aboard - Deptford Creek, Dover, Barking Creek, Vlaardingen, Ghent, St.Samson, Plymouth, Dunston Staithes etc. I have a list of all the ports somewhere.

The CRESCENT CAMILLA had a spell working in Dover as a bunker barge for the ferries a few years back. [see 'Tanker' gallery, post by PAUL0510].

The current Dover bunker barge is the CORAL WATERS with CLIPPER BORDEAUX as floating storage.

73s

Marco

Last edited by marco nista; 22nd August 2010 at 13:35..
Old 1st January 2011, 18:00
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1969 - 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDICA View Post
does anyone in here know the names of the vessels in the crescent fleet past and presant?
looking to compile a list but its an uphill struggle!
I worked both these Vessels

1/ Jubilation 1969
2/ Lodella about 1970 we took her from the builders at Hull.
Old 1st January 2011, 18:03
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpsheldrake View Post
I worked both these Vessels

1/ Jubilation 1969
2/ Lodella about 1970 we took her from the builders at Hull.
tcpsheldrake,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Old 1st January 2011, 19:05

Has enybody spotted a new book out called 'Crescent Shipping' by Ken Garrett, published last December. Ken has done a great job listing all vessels in detail along with a full company history.
I served my Apprenticeship as a Shipwright with the old London & Rochester Trading Co., at their Quarry Yard at Strood 1956 - 62 and worked on many listed in his book, well worth a read !
Robin.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:46

Thumbs up Crescent Shipping

What a wonderful thread this has been. I joined the Ordinence at Otterham Quay in 1969. This vessel had been built either during the war or soon after. The Skipper was a certain Louis Gavano, he had a broad Cardiff accent and spoke french with a perfect French accent due to the fact that his family were from the Commargue in Southern France and came over during the 1920's depression. We were on a weekly Liner Service between Otterham Quay and Ostend and on a 60/40 share of cargo profits. From our 40% we had to pay the skipper, mate and third hand, gasoil and food. We kept the bogey stove going using the broken scraps of chipboard cargo, my goodness it kept the central heating hot. Louis and myself shared the skipper's place when we had time off.

I remember a new vessel arriving that was designed for the potato starch trade, all the bigwigs were there on the quay. The pump room was kept under vacuum or pressure, entered through an air lock, but someone forgot this and half the cargo came out of vents and the bigwigs were showered in potato starch. There was another one knocking about called the Danegeld, I just cannot remember if this was a Crescent.

I cannot remember if it was the Libation that was fixed up for running GPO cable across various sea spaces. It was a great year and I made many friends on theses vessels, but believe it or not I came straight from Deep Sea with a Mates Ticket! It certainly opened my eyes.

Glyn Howell
Old 13th January 2011, 20:01

joined the Nascence in 1977 i think,at fleetwood,then onto the militence,joined at shoreham ,sailed to warren point just after the bomb at the 1st n last pub,we then ran regular from great yarmouth to cork with grain for gilby's distillery,very short time on the emenance out of seafroth dock liverpool... they were both nigh on brand new at the time and very well equiped, didnt much like doing the cookin etc as a decky lol but everyone mucked in....
very good memories.

bernie
Old 8th February 2011, 21:23

The Ordinence was bought by Dennisons of Orkney and renamed the Kava Sound. Had some good times sailing on her.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:34
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1986 - 1990

Saw the Ordinence a couple of years ago, running stone around Mull. She now has a small bucket crane on her deck. Fantastic seeing the old names again, I had some wonderful times onboard these flat irons. My first ship was the Nascence with Harley True (Captain) and his wife Nancy (I think my memory serves me right). I then went on to sail on The Crescence, Tarquence, Ambience, Boisterence (Captain Chris Bell), Stridence, Kinderence, Luminence, Zealence and Quescence and Ordinence. A name i have not seen is the Westerence, she was similar to the Ordinence. I live close to a retired Humber pilot and he remembers Crescent's coasters as 'red devils'.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:24
Active: 1964 - 2009

crescent starch carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2012 View Post
crescent was bought out by clipper wonsild and only two vessels now with a prefix of Crescent all the rest are mainly clipper, crescent did have starch or was it yeast carriers that were operated out of Otterham quay on the Medway, one of the vessels had a fire onboard the vessel which was i think from the machinary onboard and with loss of lives and crescent stopped havig these carriers.
Also do u want to know all the thames sailing barges as well
Richie
"resilience" ran to otterham quay from delfzil in holland
"resurgence" from same place to howdendyke near goole,she was self discharging to the tate and lyle glucose factory closed in early 80's. she did indeed catch fire,the mate peter north "ginger" died fighting the fire, rest of crew escaped. I sailed on her as chief eng. thankfully before the fire, unusual vessel built in budapest 1965 for norwegians, ice class spec. did world wide trading, bought by crescent '75 converted to starch carrier. towed to medway after fire and broken up.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:32
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
I sailed on an ex Scandinavian Luminence in the 60's.

You may contact ex London Rochester/Crescent hands on www.rock-dodgers.
Old 7th July 2012, 19:41
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1975 - Present

Insistence and Jubilence

Both the Insistence and Jubilence are alive and well In Miami Haiti trade both had changed flags to Belize and then Honduras Insistence was named D Only One and Jubilence Only One D
i bought Jublence and renamed her JUBILENCE about five to six years ago and sold to the Bahamas later
Old 26th July 2012, 13:10

Jostrica

No one has mentioned the "Jostrica" we sailed under the cresent flag and it was Part owned by im sure by the owner of Cresent or at least one of the directors he lived in a big house high on a hill overlooking the medway and he had a son called Ric who was a deckhand The ship was named after the captain "John" first mate "Steve" and "Ric" Ric was not the brightest button in the box and i think hes dad had bought the ship to give him a job !!!! i joined at Mistly Quay (essex) in spring1978 and was on board for about a year....at christmas 78 the ship went in for repair at Queensbough and we all spent the night at the big house with Rics family... i have plenty of memories on that ship and some pretty incredible stories which i wont bore you with (unless you ask) and so glad i found this site

Tony
Old 4th August 2012, 09:33

Had located a picture of "Eloquence" leaving PAR in 1974, or thereabouts, what a state she looked !! a realy rust bucket. When I was on her in '69 she was gleaming and well serviced. What happened to the pride ???
Old 4th August 2012, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hope View Post
Had located a picture of "Eloquence" leaving PAR in 1974, or thereabouts, what a state she looked !! a realy rust bucket. When I was on her in '69 she was gleaming and well serviced. What happened to the pride ???
Still going! as the PETER PRIOR
Old 4th August 2012, 11:11

For the full history of this company see "CRESCENT SHIPPING" by K.S.(Ken) Garrett, published by Ships in Focus Publications.

Best Wishes

David W
Old 4th August 2012, 21:18
Organisation: RNLI

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPILANO View Post
Sandman
Was interested in your posting re LRTC vessels running in to Yelland. Being from Appledore,Reardon Smith would release me to obtain short amounts of qualifying seatime before sitting my tickets. I was Mate in the "Militence" in 1956 (Capt George Rayner) and again in the "Halcience"(Capt John Harris) Vernon, his brother, was senior pilot/harbourmaster whom you might know. One of my Uncles, Jim Cox was piloting till his retirement- probably before your time? Later pilots were John Hopkins/Colin Darch both ex Smiths a
Apprentices. I seem to recall that in the early days of Yelland getting going, the two vessels regularly coming in was J
"Jubilence" and "Kindrence", both ex Dutch coasters.
Kind regards
John Cann
I know both John and Vernon also John Hopkins and Colin Darch, Jim was known as paddy cox was'nt He?.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:17
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

there were 3 that tied up at the gasworks jetty at southend, Beverley Brook, Mayes Brook and Wallbrook.
Old 7th August 2012, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORDICA View Post
your a star. is there any whole owned british coaster companies left? now lapthorns have gone i cant think of any!
John H Whitaker, Hull.

Principally a bunkering outfit but dabbles in coasting-privately owned by the Whitaker family
Old 9th August 2012, 09:20

Eloquence

Here is a picture of Eloquence..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eloquence_2.jpg (20.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 14th August 2012, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry keen View Post
John H Whitaker, Hull.

Principally a bunkering outfit but dabbles in coasting-privately owned by the Whitaker family
"Dabbles in coasting" - I'm not sure what you mean. The company operates a fleet of bunkering tankers.

British companies operating dry cargo coasters include Faversham Ships Ltd, Carisbrooke, Scotline, Torbulk, Union Transport, Great Glen Shipping - and not forgetting Ramsey Steamship and Mezeron in the Isle of Man.
Old 15th August 2012, 07:03
Active: 1969 - Present

british ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runrig View Post
"Dabbles in coasting" - I'm not sure what you mean. The company operates a fleet of bunkering tankers.

British companies operating dry cargo coasters include Faversham Ships Ltd, Carisbrooke, Scotline, Torbulk, Union Transport, Great Glen Shipping - and not forgetting Ramsey Steamship and Mezeron in the Isle of Man.
Yes british flag ships but last Carrisbrook ship alongside us with pipes didn't have a brit on board would expect others to be the same know Union Transport is same and most UT are foreign flag now anyway.
Whitakers last time spoke to a guy who worked for them still crewed with Brits on board.
Old 15th August 2012, 11:06

Eloquence

"Eloquence" changed her name 4 times and finally became PETER PRIOR, she has been broken up, on side of a creek oppersite the Dome on the Thames. Very sad, but all our homes are gone these days ............