Coe Metcalf - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Coe Metcalf

User Tag List

Old 2nd June 2012, 02:36

I worked for Coe's on the Pholas. They had a strange trip system. At sea working it was 1 for 1, in port or layed up it was 2 for 1! I remember that it had a very old DP system and had to carry a makers engineer to enter the moves on a teleprinter. I was also lead to believe that the main engine was a
"One off" and the makers used to send their makee learnee's down to the vessel at times to see the "museum" piece. When the Pholas was laid up during the winter I was sent round the fleet doing repairs. Always by train or ferry even to Europe, saving money! Also as been noted the food was terrible. The local pubs got a lot of trade out of me....pie and a pint.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:38

PHOLAS ex.ELIZABETH BOWATER'58 Denny-Sulzer 6SD60
Old 29th June 2012, 13:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1987

[QUOTE=docdiesel;148144]No i knew all about the Robert M The one they bought was to suppliment the Robert M Now there was a heap![qUOTE]

To right was a.b cook on her for two weeks midship job lucky we never left the mersey..
Old 8th July 2012, 16:50
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - Present

Coe Metcalf, now James Fisher Everards, none of the dry cargo vessels left in fleet and none of the "M" tankers either. Manning levels still as low as can be. Although not too bad to work for at present (apart from getting relieved on time).
Old 8th July 2012, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRI View Post
Coe Metcalf, now James Fisher Everards, none of the dry cargo vessels left in fleet and none of the "M" tankers either. Manning levels still as low as can be. Although not too bad to work for at present (apart from getting relieved on time).
TRI,
You are incorrect in stating that Coe Metcalf is now James Fisher Everards.

They are in fact two different companies as you may see below. Another one of Fisher's many twists and turns.

James Fisher Everard Ltd
Company Reg. No. 562707

14.03.1956: Incorporated as Christopher Rowbotham & Sons (Management) Ltd
21.12.1980: Renamed to Rowbotham Tankships Ltd.
18.01.1993: Renamed to P&O Tankships Ltd
19.10.1997: Renamed to James Fisher Tankships Ltd
22.01.2007: Renamed to James Fisher Everard Ltd

James Fisher (Shipping Services) Ltd
Company Reg No. 366100

26.03.1941: Incorporated as T. J. Metcalf (Coasting) Ltd.
28.03.1941: Renamed to Metcalf Motor Coasters Ltd.
14.07.1970: Renamed to Metcalf Coasting & Investments (Holdings) Ltd
31.12.1977: Renamed to Coe, Metcalf Shipping Ltd.
01.12.1995: Renamed to James Fisher & Sons (Liverpool) Ltd.
08.03.2000: Renamed to James Fisher (Shipping Services) Ltd.
Old 9th July 2012, 08:53

Bill

Not sure what you are inferring with 'Another one of Fisher's many twists and turns'. James Fisher & Sons plc is a well respected, diverse and successful holding company with many subsidiaries, one of which is a major player engaged in the coastal carriage of oil products. If there have been 'twists and turns' then it is in the acquisition of companies, some lacking in liquidity others with top heavy management and moving to consolidation. Your route to James Fisher Everard Ltd would have made more sense if you had included and dated the takeover of FTE.
Gil.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil mayes View Post
Bill

Not sure what you are inferring with 'Another one of Fisher's many twists and turns'. James Fisher & Sons plc is a well respected, diverse and successful holding company with many subsidiaries, one of which is a major player engaged in the coastal carriage of oil products. If there have been 'twists and turns' then it is in the acquisition of companies, some lacking in liquidity others with top heavy management and moving to consolidation. Your route to James Fisher Everard Ltd would have made more sense if you had included and dated the takeover of FTE.
Gil.
Gil,

I am not inferring anything, nor casting aspertion on the Fisher reputation. What I am actually referring to is, that if you look beyond the current name of some of their subsidiaries you can find many changes of company titles, often to suit a specific purpose.

It is quite informative trawling through Companies House records to see how company titles get shuffled.

A perfect example found recently was Metcalf Motor Coasters Ltd. There were two uses of that title with the first selling the fleet to the second in the 1970, at the time the original changed name. See the posting above. However, if you were reliant on just looking at Lloyd's Registers the change was seamless and you could be forgiven for not knowing that a change of ownership had taken place.

Also there was a previous Fisher (Shipping Services) Ltd which was replaced by the current one.

As far as the take over of FTE is concerned, I did not deem it relevent to the two companies I was detailing, being a seperate entity as such. However, if of interest, below is an extract from my CD Book Everards, released last year.

2006:
The Everard Shipping activities were sold to James Fisher & Sons plc – Barrow in Furness.
Primarily
F. T. Everard Shipping Ltd
F. T. Everard & Sons Ltd.
F. T. Everard & Sons (Management) Ltd
Cattedown Wharves Ltd
Plym Shipping & Agencies Ltd

14th November:
The dormant Short Sea Europe Plc. was dissolved.

2007:
21st January:
The title James Fisher Everard Ltd, (Reg. No. 562707) was introduced as the operating company for the tanker fleet. This was not a new company but one with a long tanker pedigree being originally incorporated on 14th October 1956 as Christopher Rowbotham & Sons (Management) Ltd. 21st December1980: Name changed to Rowbotham Tankships Ltd. 18th January 1993: Name changed to P&O Tankships Ltd. 19th October 1997: Name changed to James Fisher Tankships Ltd

I hope this satisfies your concern.

Bill

Last edited by BillH; 10th July 2012 at 08:46.. Reason: typo correction
Old 9th July 2012, 16:23

Thanks Bill.
Gil.
Old 9th July 2012, 18:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil mayes View Post
Thanks Bill.
Gil.
I Have worked for Rowbothams Tankships, Crescent shipping,Coe metcalf and Everards pretty much the same... such a pity Fishers didnt stick to british crew..

Last edited by DEAN NOCK; 10th July 2012 at 01:24..
Old 20th August 2012, 15:20

Hello there. I'm another son of John Harvey and half brother to Dan. John passed away in 2004 ~ age 82. at his home in St. Helens He retired (finally) in 1991. Dan lives still in Goole with his wife Ann. He's had to lay off work for the moment due to his health. He's worked all over the place ~ on boats and in docks.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
Mick.
I remember Danny and his father John. Sailed with them on the HAWTHORN (ex Irish Heather) in 73. Also later on other Coes ships. Dont know what happened to them though. Last time saw John was in the 80s when I relieved him on later HAWTHORN and Danny on MAYTHORN, I think, about same time.
Rgds
Neil
Hello there. I'm another son of John Harvey and half brother to Dan. John passed away in 2004 ~ age 82. at his home in St. Helens He retired (finally) in 1991. Dan lives still in Goole with his wife Ann. He's had to lay off work for the moment due to his health. He's worked all over the place ~ on boats and in docks.
Old 29th May 2018, 00:24

Cook for a few weeks on Christopher M, 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Haxell View Post
One trip I managed to set fire to the galley whilst trying to light the oil stove for the cook (soddin' thing!!!) The whole place was black, still the overtime was welcome as I had to souji and paint to redeem myself. .
The worst galley imaginable and that stove. what a beggar to get going. Enjoyed my time on it enough that I spent the next few years working coasters of SW Coe and co.
Old 29th May 2018, 20:39

[QUOTE=DEAN NOCK;606592]I Have worked for Rowbothams Tankships, Crescent shipping,Coe metcalf and Everards pretty much the same... such a pity Fishers didnt stick to british crew..[/QUOTE
Someone once asked me what the difference was between a British sailor and a Filipino.

My reply was to state the following, which I experienced.

Joining a ship I was unfamiliar with I asked the Filipino what we did next during a discharge op. He told me.
Asking a British AB on another vessel, he said Don't know, I normally go for a smoke now.

There were some excellent British sailors with Fishers, I was sorry to see them go.

I know from my last vessel with Fishers, which required British Sailors, it was difficult to get them, especially with Tanker experience and we certainly had more than our fair share of eccentric cooks.