Dwarka - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
18:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Dwarka

User Tag List

Old 3rd May 2014, 10:17

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
See HERE for first of ten videos on Dwarka. To view all episodes, go to T.V. Passenger and Cruise liner file, pages 4 & 5.
Easiest way to go to next episode is to click on the tiny red arrow top right of the current video showing.
Old 5th May 2014, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot mac View Post
Those ice boxes were life savers, never saw them anywhere else. Tuborg and Carlsberg were the favourites along with 'Pinkers' in the First Class bar at lunchtimes, not forgetting of course Four Bells for other occasions.

regards
Dave
Also for the stewards, Dave. After the night watch, I'd be in bed when 'the iceman cometh'. The steward would come in, silently, to top up the icebox. I'd mutter, 'take only two'. I don't think he ever took more than that(who bothered to check?), but, two beers a day was worthwhile to him, if only for flogging. '
Re 'pinkers' at lunchtime, that's when I went on watch. Mind you, pre dinner, for me, was GT time! Only Jim Eames(security officer), stuck to the pinkers. He was too tight to splash out on a tonic.

BTW, were you there when we had the riot on deck(deportees)?

Regards
Duncan
Old 5th May 2014, 03:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - Present

Enlighten me please gentlemen.l recall vaguely an article Scots Magazine or Sea Breezes ? that the band on the funnel was of burnished steel to protect the bolts holding the upper section and not of black as usually described.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 5th May 2014, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnelstays View Post
Enlighten me please gentlemen.l recall vaguely an article Scots Magazine or Sea Breezes ? that the band on the funnel was of burnished steel to protect the bolts holding the upper section and not of black as usually described.
Sorry funnelstays, I can't enlighten you. That's a new one to me. Only ever saw black funnel, with two white bands.
Maybe older members might know otherwise.

Duncs
Old 5th May 2014, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncs View Post
Also for the stewards, Dave. After the night watch, I'd be in bed when 'the iceman cometh'. The steward would come in, silently, to top up the icebox. I'd mutter, 'take only two'. I don't think he ever took more than that(who bothered to check?), but, two beers a day was worthwhile to him, if only for flogging. '
Re 'pinkers' at lunchtime, that's when I went on watch. Mind you, pre dinner, for me, was GT time! Only Jim Eames(security officer), stuck to the pinkers. He was too tight to splash out on a tonic.

BTW, were you there when we had the riot on deck(deportees)?

Regards
Duncan
Don't remember a specific riot but do remember several scuffles that were usually snuffed out pretty quickly by Dick Ludford (Sgt Major, Royal Marines), his parade ground voice would wake the dead! The Baluchi's could be a handful (came on at Gwadar), as a race they have to be some of the largest specimens on the planet.
I can remember Dick apprehending a couple of them after a skirmish and he handcuffed them to the railings outside my cabin,( PC police would love that these days)

regards
Dave
Old 12th May 2014, 03:44

I've been away from the PC for a while Dave, sorry.
The riot must have been after you left. Jim Eames, ex RSM, ex Palastine etc, was security officer(I knew him from the Sirdhana). We took a load of deportees(Syrians, Iraqis, Jordanians etc.) onboard, under armed guard, in Doha(I think), for Basrah. Just outside Kuwait, they went crackers. They had obviously been given booze. They ran about the decks hitting and bottling the deck punters. Much blood and gore! The OM refused to sail from Kuwait, unless they were removed. They were, eventually, taken off and bussed to Iraq.

I thought I had some mementos of that time(photos, etc.), but after a search, I'm afraid all is lost.

Regards
Duncan
Old 12th May 2014, 05:08

[QUOTE= The Baluchi's could be a handful (came on at Gwadar), as a race they have to be some of the largest specimens on the planet.
I can remember Dick apprehending a couple of them after a skirmish and he handcuffed them to the railings outside my cabin,( PC police would love that these days)

regards
Dave[/QUOTE]

As a P.S>

I can't go along with that Dave. There's no way Dick could handcuff a Baluchi or pathan. Indeed, he wouldn't attempt it. Pathans weren't troublemakers and were left alone on nr.1(they may have ponged a bit). But, by his authoritarianism, he, Dick, could keep good control. It was the poor old stowaways who got handcuffed to the railings.

I'm prepared to stand corrected,

regards,
Duncan
Old 12th May 2014, 12:52

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
See HERE for first of ten videos on Dwarka. To view all episodes, go to T.V. Passenger and Cruise liner file, pages 4 & 5.
After opening the first episode click on the tiny red arrow, top right, to open the second and so on.
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncs View Post
Hi Kevin, did you have a big wood covered ice box(Rolls Royce of ice boxes)?
If that was you, you probably saved my life when I joined in Kuwait(Dwarka).

Regards,
Duncan
I'd completely forgotten about those massive ice boxes - the "boy" used to bring in a huge chunk of ice wrapped in a tea towel to keep the Tenants (or Alsops if it was a bad trip) cool for the end of watch cabin drinks.
Old 30th October 2014, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot mac View Post
Those ice boxes were life savers, never saw them anywhere else. Tuborg and Carlsberg were the favourites along with 'Pinkers' in the First Class bar at lunchtimes, not forgetting of course Four Bells for other occasions.

regards
Dave
and remember the poor old steward struggling along with a huge chunk of ice wrapped in a tea towel in order to keep those cans cool - like you say though, those ice boxes were works of art.
Old 31st October 2014, 07:24

My location
Was "transferred" from Palamcotta to Dara in Bombay then the Chitty Wallah came on board after a few months and I was sent to Karanja thence to Itaura up in Karachi, was actually on two ships Articles in two different countries at the same time, a crafty Marconi move and ended up on Orna and got back to Bonny Scotland a few years later, did NOT get on well with Carron the GTZM
bossman in Bombay, he wanted me to give him my duty free Gin...In Bombay
which was DRY in those days!!!
Ern Barrett
Old 31st October 2014, 09:13
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhelenbarrett View Post
...did NOT get on well with Carron the GTZM
bossman in Bombay,
He was the manager at MIMCo's depot in Newcastle-on-Tyne when I worked for him in 1966 and he was a sh1t. Little man, sour as a lemon and the only mean-minded, nasty Irishman that I ever met. Never met anyone with a good word to say for him.

The fact that his predecessor had a company car and driver at his disposal was a permanent source of annoyance to him.

Seems he was also a hypocrite since he was paranoid that everyone was fiddling their expenses and overtime claims - he was clearly basing that on his own behaviour whilst in India.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 31st October 2014, 12:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

BI Club, Bombay

Forgive the Bank Line intrusion, but I fondly recall from the mid 50’s the BI Cub in Bombay as a haven of tranquillity amidst the clamour of the city. Games on the billiard table while the smartly uniformed elderly steward served up the tastiest turned-egg sandwiches ever.

Keith
Old 2nd November 2014, 04:48

My location
Spent a good few nights in the BI Club in Bombay but the worst one was Hogmanay night there drinking ORANGE JUICE as Bombay was DRY in those days whilst Calcutta was dry only on a Thursday!!! Enjoyed the days at Breach Candy though especially on Dance nights, the lassies always knew you would be back if you were on the BI Indian Coast runs!!!
Ern Barrett
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:31
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
I spent two months living in the BI Club in Bombay from May to July 1961.
I was waiting to join a ship to head home for leave and at first I thought it was great.
After a while boredom sets in and you get itchy feet, so as good as the Club was, I was very happy to sign on a ship to head home.
Old 2nd November 2014, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rogers View Post
They were great ships, would like a quid for each time I had been on board one or other of them in various places. They were relatively long lived but I seem to remember that one of them came to grief after a number of years. Possibly a collision or something?, the brain box has let me down and I cant find anything on it to confirm my thoughts.
Doug
I think it was a explosive device, hidden onboard that caused the sinking.
Old 2nd November 2014, 16:22
Forever a Seaman
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
It was DARA that was destroyed by fire on 8th April 1961 when there was a violent explosion in the shelter deck amidships as she was approaching Dubai after putting to sea due to bad weather.

There was a loss of 212 lives although some estimates put the figure as high as 238.
Old 17th May 2016, 22:26
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

The Laird

I wonder if anyone who sailed with BI remembers shore superintendent Neil Brodie, affectionately known as “The Laird” in 1960/70s Tilbury Dock.
In those days, BI ships regularly loaded at 36/38 Berths.

Keith
Old 8th September 2016, 15:49
Active: 1947 - 1986

Keith,
I well remember, Neil, when he looked after the BI's import side at 19/21 RAD.
Sadly, I am almost certain hearing that he had "crossed the bar" quite a number of years ago.
Regards