Nevasa - Ships Nostalgia
12:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nevasa

User Tag List

Old 26th March 2004, 23:41
no longer actively involved

My location
Nevasa

Nevasa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nevasa.jpg (24.5 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by Andy; 29th March 2004 at 19:01..
Old 9th April 2005, 19:32

Andy.I joined this group on the 6th April 05 under the synonym,jb002c2894 and logged on to your jpg Queen Elizabeth,Ishould have said Hello from JimB then posed my Question,Re Propulsion Pods on the QM2, Did you sail with British India Nav co Ltd,
I sailed out on the AMRA in 1946, came back on the Aronda, did not stay long, in Hindsight my mistake,have regretted it ever since.
Regards Jim Brown
Old 30th September 2005, 19:14

Nevasa

British India’s educational cruise ship NEVASA sailing from Southampton.
Built 1956
20527 grt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nevasa.jpg (76.3 KB, 258 views)
Old 30th September 2005, 22:00

Nice picture Robert but I always preferred her in her trooping colours.
Old 7th April 2006, 02:16

I sailed on the Nevasa/GPQV as 3rd sparks , Master was Captain Reggie Bond and his parrot, on her maiden voyage bound for Singapore but due the sudden closure of the Suez canal we only went as far a Famagusta.
Alex Page

Last edited by alex page; 9th April 2006 at 22:41..
Old 7th April 2006, 15:36

Nevasa

Old postcard which could be bought in every newsagent/s and card/souvenir shop on the South Coast between Bournemouth and the Isle of Wight showing her in troopship colours which I preferred also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NevasaTrooper.jpg (110.9 KB, 259 views)
Old 18th June 2006, 16:07

NEVASA school cruise

This pic taken by me aged 13 alongside at Lisbon circa june 67.
the ship sailed from Sunderland for Corunna,Tangier,Lisbon,and Zeebrugge.thence back to Sunderland, I wished to go to sea ,my Mother sent me on the cruise to see if id like it!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nevasa lisbon 001.jpg (17.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 12th July 2006, 20:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

NEVASA school cruise

Ronnie R,

And did you like it?

While I would be aboard with you, I cannot remember whether this was a Durham County, Sunderland Borough or Northumbria charter

Barrie Sanderson (of the s.s.UGANDA TRUST) would be pleased to hear from you at Tel: 01268 769583 or at [email protected]

Barrie is compiling a book covering the life of s.s NEVASA, as a companion volume to that already published about s.s. UGANDA. He would welcome contributions from anyone who sailed in NEVASA, when she was either a troopship or latterly in school cruising

REgards

Tom
Old 12th July 2006, 20:21

Hi Tom yeah i enjoyed it! . Ive already corresponded with Barrie regarding his book
i sent him a couple of pics months ago. I assumed the cruise was a Sunderland affair as all the schools aboard were local as i remember.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:51

Smile NEVASA school cruise

As a schoolboy, sailed on her in Oct. 1971. Southampton, Gibraltar, Bizerta, Malaga, Lisbon, Southampton. Incredible memories of that trip, that will always remain with me, Trev
Old 1st August 2006, 10:39

My location
Nevasa school cruise

. . . did that one in '72. Medi cruise: flew to Venice. Sailed to Piraeus, Alexandrai, Heraklion and then on to Naples, from where we flew home. Fantastic taster, although I still didn't really know then that I would go to sea for a career just two years later . . .
Jon
Old 16th March 2007, 20:34

Educational Cruise

I was on an Educational Cruise on the Nevasa, May 1969, We sailed from Leith to Norway and Denmark, ( Andalsnes, Bergen and Copenhagen) My Dormitory was Dampier E3, and incidentally we won the Dormitory Prize of which I still own the winners badge. It was a wonderful cruise and in fact set the tone for my later life when I joined the Merchant Navy (Sailing with J&J Denholms for 6 years.)
Old 28th September 2007, 21:45

Nevasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex page View Post
I sailed on the Nevasa/GPQV as 3rd sparks , Master was Captain Reggie Bond and his parrot, on her maiden voyage bound for Singapore but due the sudden closure of the Suez canal we only went as far a Famagusta.
Alex Page
Hi Alex I sailed with Nevasa from 1957 to 1960 and I remember Reggie Bond well and his parrot could be quite an embarressment with its wolf whistle
Old 29th September 2007, 22:25

My location
Sailed on her when she was a troopship, around 1956 or 1957, would make me around 9 or 10. My father got posted to Singapore with the RAF. Landed at Gib, through the Suez, somewhere in India, Calcutta I think then Singapore
Old 27th December 2007, 16:31

From Nevasa to Bibby Line

At 13 I wanted to be an airline pilot, but I did Southampton, Gibraltar, Ceuta, Sardinia, Elba & Livorno (for Pisa & Florence) on Nevasa in 1969 and changed my mind!!!! In 1972 I joined Bibby Line as a Deck Cadet.

Nevasa and I were born the same year in 1956!

Martyn Sutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie r View Post
This pic taken by me aged 13 alongside at Lisbon circa june 67.
the ship sailed from Sunderland for Corunna,Tangier,Lisbon,and Zeebrugge.thence back to Sunderland, I wished to go to sea ,my Mother sent me on the cruise to see if id like it!!!
Old 3rd July 2008, 06:03

My location
Red face

1958 I sailed on the Nevasa to Singapore while doing my N/S in the Army some of the things I remember from that voyage were saltwater showers, deadilghts on port Holes for most of the voyage and when they were opened I'm sure we were standing at sea level and mile long queues for meals. Two years later I made the returned trip to the U.K. on the Oxfordshire, during this trip I got talking to one of the ships leckys. After two weeks in civy street I had to get away so wrote to several of the shipping company's and took one of the first options which turned out to be Blue Funnel line, so you could say those two ships changed the rest of my life. No regrets.....Al

Last edited by Trident; 3rd July 2008 at 08:12..
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:32
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsea View Post
. . . did that one in '72. Medi cruise: flew to Venice. Sailed to Piraeus, Alexandrai, Heraklion and then on to Naples, from where we flew home. Fantastic taster, although I still didn't really know then that I would go to sea for a career just two years later . . .
Jon
Jon i have to ask is that h.m.s. Worcester on your profile i was in her in 1957 as a galley boy if it is her and you where in her it must have been at the end of her time all the best
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:29

My location
Hi Durango, yes I was indeed on Worcester right at the end of her time. There are many lads on this site who were also on her - quite a few probably at the same time as you.

All the best
Jon
Old 4th July 2008, 19:43

Nevasa

I sailed on the Nevasa from Hong Kong to Southampton in December 1956 having been held back due to the Suez Crisis. I believe this was the Nevasa's first voyage to hong Kong. The attached is a postcard I bought on board and sent to a pal who still had a couple of months to do in HK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nevasa postcard 1956.jpg (119.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Saiwanite; 4th July 2008 at 19:45..
Old 12th July 2008, 08:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsea View Post
Hi Durango, yes I was indeed on Worcester right at the end of her time. There are many lads on this site who were also on her - quite a few probably at the same time as you.

All the best
Jon
As i said Jon i was only realy a spud basher on the Worcester but it was a way for an under age boy to get away to sea best wishes .
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:39

It seems that the Nevasa is responsible for enticing many youngsters to sea. I also had my first experience of ship board life on her. It was, again, an educational cruise from Swansea to Leningrad via Visby, the Keil Canal and Copenhagen (probably not in that order but it was an awfully long time ago) It really did influence my future career as, after serving 3 years in the South Wales Constabulary I finally succumbed and joined P & O on the Oronsay for a satisfying career. I look back fondly on the old girl.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:06

SS nevasa - Scandinavian cruise, late 1960's

Hi all,
I'm new to this site, but have always enjoyed anything to do with ships and the sea. I sailed on an educational cruise on the Nevasa sometime between 1968 and 1969. All I remember is that we sailed from Liverpool to Bergen and Oslo, went through the Kiel canal, visited Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I remember the captain announcing that we were in a gale force 9 in the North sea and that the ship's stabilisers were in use, many school children sea sick, especially on entering the food hall and smelling the fried breakfast; thankfully I did not have a problem with seasickness and found the rough weather experience quite exciting. We came across the Nevasa's sister ship somewhere off the Orkneys. The ship's tannoy announced that she was carrying a group of pensioners and that would be her final cruise before she was scrapped. Anyone know the name of that ship or, perhaps were you on the Nevasa during that cruise?
Old 7th October 2008, 15:57

Spansun,

DUNERA and DEVONIA, while not "sisterships" of NEVASA were also British Inda LIne ships employed in Educational Cruising. Both were sold for breaking up in November and December 1967 respectively, so I wonder if you have got the year correct? In late August 1967/early September, one or other could very well have been in the vicinity of the Orkneys, on the annual National Trust for Scotland cruise. (Correctly, of her 600 odd passengers, both cabin and dormitory class, many would have qualified for their "bus pass" but always a very active and enthusiastic crowd., and great fun!) At this time UGANDA was being converted for Educational Cruising and she would have been doing the NTS charter in the late summer of 1968, but she then still had another 16 years of service ahead of her.

If you are interested, book devoted to NEVASA is due to be published very shortly in the late autumn.

Tom
Old 7th October 2008, 18:25

Tom,

Thank you very much for your quick response to my posting. Your reply has jogged my memory - it was indeed the DEVONIA that we passed on the NEVASA that day in the Orkneys. You are also probably right that the cruise I went on was in 1967 as I left school to start work, (as a landlubber! ), in early December 1969 at 16 years of age.

I would be interested in the forthcoming book about the Nevasa. Do you know the title and /or the author's name so that I may watch-out for it please?

Mike
Old 12th October 2008, 17:01

Mike,
Barrie Sanderson is the author. A soon as he lets me have the published details I'll promulgate them on this website.

Regards

Tom

PS: We were probably together onthat NEVASA cruise!