Coast Station call-signs .... - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Coast Station call-signs ....

User Tag List

Old 9th March 2008, 16:15
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Just adding a reply to one of the other threads which jogged my memory.
9H2015 or similar - Kuching Radio - which if I remember correctly was on the air for about 5 mins at various times during the day. I did once manage to get him but think we were about to pick up the pilot at Sejingkat. Think he had even less power than my Span VII.
Hawkey01
Old 9th March 2008, 16:51

EAR. Monsanto or Gentle Jesus. wx report aleays gentle breezes.
Old 9th March 2008, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garner View Post
EAR was a Spanish station John, 'tho can't remember which one. Monsanto was Portuguese and his c/s was CTV. It was a monastery and the monks did the wx and ran the radio station. As far as I recall they just broadcast a wx report (that is they didn't offer a commercial service) and it was invariably "gentle breezes" (hence Gentle Jesus) and "light airs and zephyrs". Often when there was a Biscay gale howling round your lug'oles.
Old 10th March 2008, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garner View Post
You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!
Old 10th March 2008, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw View Post
You're getting old John! Monsanto wasn't a Spanish coast station, it was Portugese, call sign CTV.

His claim to fame was in his weather forecasts - you never had light breezes, it was always, "Gentle zephyrs".

Incedentally John, Monsanto was run and manned by monks!
I recall Monsanto broadcasting "Gentle Breezes" too - I think they updated from "zephyrs". Whatever they were sending, there obviously wasn't a window in the building.

It's interesting to hear that the place was run by monks, I thought it was a Portuguese naval station. They must have spent a lot of time at mass because they were never listening to ships (apart from the time they reported me for transmitting in Silence Period!).

John T.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:55
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Gentle breezes - and don't forget the 'smooth wavelets'. Never mind that in reality you were rolling onto your beam ends, Monsanto always had a more optimistic and gentle view.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:27
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

I thought Monsanto was CTB ? maybe the memory cells are deteriorating quicker than I thought ! Their other favourite phrase was "fluffy white clouds" at one time, when in the middle of a storm !

The West African coast, TUA, Abidjan, always reliable for sending the OBS messages to on MF.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:53

I give up, you are quite correct, getting old.
Old 11th March 2008, 18:43

EAR was La Coruņa Radio (funny A2 noise) which operated together with Vigo Radio EAF. Both were closed down in 1986 and substituted by Finisterre RADIO EAF.
Old 11th March 2008, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empordā View Post
EAR was La Coruņa Radio (funny A2 noise)...
Thanks for the reminder.. I remember some of the Spanish coast-stations didn't have a very musical tone, more of a hiss!
Old 11th March 2008, 19:10

My location
Try this for a blast from the past.

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button
Old 11th March 2008, 19:50
Active: 1950 - 1961

Smile Very busy monks!

I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.
Old 11th March 2008, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Try this for a blast from the past.

Just click on the Kunstfunkstellen/ Coast Station button
Often have a shufti round Seefunker, including just now EAF and EAS, they sounded more musical than the ones I remember from the early sixties.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bentley View Post
I don't think CTV Monsanto radio had anything to do with a monastery if they did they must have been awful busy as they worked every frequency from the usual MF up to 22 Mhz. According to the list accounts were settled by Minstry of Marine, sounds more like a commercial or naval outfit rather than the Franscicans etc. Although they did persist in the old zephyr breezes in their Wx bulletins.
Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:19

Talking of funny warbling notes - does anyone remember IAR (Roma) sounded like he'd got laryngitis!
Malin Head/EJM had a teriffic sound.
For me though, the best one of all, both in terms of sound quality and good morse, was PCH, Scheveningen
Old 12th March 2008, 00:27

Agreed Trevor - and usually the first Euro station to appear on 500 homeward bound around the Cape or from any other direction....
Old 12th March 2008, 09:47
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
The best sound of all was the commanding tone of GLD when you first heard him homeward bound.

Old 12th March 2008, 12:02

SUQ. Suez canal station sounded like a camel breaking wind.
Old 12th March 2008, 16:16
Active: 1950 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA204259 View Post
Couldn't argue with you Roger if you've seen where the accounts were done. I know when I was at sea the perceived wisdom was that CTV was a monastery. All I remember is taking their weather forecast on M/W and I certainly don't remember them on H/F or as a commercial station. As far as I'm aware the only commercial H/F marine radio station in Portugal was Lisbon/CUL. But that was a long time ago and the grey cells tend to disappear at a rapid rate now, so who knows? Truth or just merely legend? I know which I prefer to think.
Thanks for the comment - I had another look at the 1955 list of coast and ship stations just to recap and the listed stations for Portugal at that time were Boa Nova CTI, Cascais Radio CTC, with CTAA listed as the call sign for all Portugese warships, Faro radio CTT, Monsanto CTV numerous listed with figure suffixes, Sagres radio CTS, and Pilotos Cascais radio CTS, the only station not using T as the second letter was good old CUL, and I now note that the settlement for the CT calls was as stated the Ministry of Marine, therefore I now think these were all Naval stations. As CUL charges were settled by CPRM Companhia POrtugese Radio Marconi. so you are quite correct there was only one commercial station. I learn something new everyday! Best regards, Roger
Old 13th March 2008, 18:38

My location
GLD sounded a bit different.
Something to do with the transmitter offset on 500, I believe.
Old 13th March 2008, 19:26
Active: 1966 - 1987

Kris,

I like your new radio room clock avatar, are you hopeing time will go backwards?

Mike
Old 13th March 2008, 20:46

My location
Can't find the reference to GLD that I had before. It may be on the "QRT 500" DVD about the close down.
I thought it might be on here which has some interesting info. It may have just been that their tone was as low as was allowed.

That's right, Mike.
We spend all our time looking back in time so I thought turning the clock back would be a good idea.
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris
Old 13th March 2008, 21:00

My location
Yes the reference was on the DVD "QRT 500".
GLD's note was produced because they actually transmitted on 498kc/s.
The crystal controlled transmitters were specially designed to transmit on 500kc/s plus or minus 2kc/s.
This was done so that all the British coast stations on 500 could be distinguished from each other in the UK's high traffic area.
The first transmitters were 1Kw W5 replaced later by the W50 2kW units. GLD had a booster amplifier to give 5Kw.

Salaams
Kris
Old 14th March 2008, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Now I have to find an appropriate "pig Latin" saying.

Cheers
Kris
Not Pig Latin but how about..."Tempus fugit, non autem memoria" (Time flies but not memory).

John T.
Old 16th March 2008, 00:42
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Anyone remember the c/s of St.Helena Radio (Jamestown)? - believe it was operated by C&W and remember sending them my OBS.

Steve.