Leith nautical college - Ships Nostalgia
19:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Leith nautical college

User Tag List

Old 12th October 2017, 19:43

Leith nautical college

Observed an obituary in Scotmans newspaper of the death of Simon Douglas Young, late of Leith Nautical college. Would this be the same Captain Young lecturer of Shipsmaster's Business, for master Mariners course in the 1970s. There may have been a connection to the Young of Kemp and Young of Kandy Publications the nautical text books?
George Porteous
Old 25th December 2017, 15:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

No George, i am pretty sure this obituary is for Dougie Young who was an Engineering lecturer at LNC, and a very good one at that. As well as being an excellent fitter Dougie Young took us for Maths during my time there 1979-81, and he made Maths seem so simple. I have much to thank him for thats for sure. Dougie also played rugby for Leith Accies until he suffered a serious leg injury. RIP to a fine man.
Old 24th May 2018, 00:00

You are correct dja , Dougie took us for Thermo Dynamics and Applied Mechanics during my time at LNC 70/72 . Good man ,RIP.
Do you remember Allister Stanton .
Old 24th May 2018, 20:11
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

In 1973 I spent three weeks doing the Radar Observers course at the radar hut down at the bottom of Leith harbour.
There were three of us on the course but on day one there was only me.
For some unknown reason the Lecturer seemed to blame me for this situation and I can't remember a longer day!
Old 31st May 2018, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
You are correct dja , Dougie took us for Thermo Dynamics and Applied Mechanics during my time at LNC 70/72 . Good man ,RIP.
Do you remember Allister Stanton .
Yes Will i remember Alistair Stanton, he was also a lecturer at Leith when i was there, another good guy. Was John McLeod one of your lecturers, he took us for EK's ?
Old 14th October 2018, 12:52

George Porteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Porteous View Post
Observed an obituary in Scotmans newspaper of the death of Simon Douglas Young, late of Leith Nautical college. Would this be the same Captain Young lecturer of Shipsmaster's Business, for master Mariners course in the 1970s. There may have been a connection to the Young of Kemp and Young of Kandy Publications the nautical text books?
George Porteous
Long time! John Schofield here - Green "R" days? Mention of Leith brought me up. Did early Tanker stcw certs. there, crude & chem. endorsements. '78/9. Alistair Struthers, from Unicorn, was on the course with us, working for DoT/MCA. at that time. You well?
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:11
Active: 1965 - Present

I attended an instrumentation and control course at the old Leith Nautical College in the mid 70s.
Came lunchtime we all departed to the Jungle for refreshments and entertainment; after the second day the lecturer asked where we were going for lunch and when we told him he warned us not to go to such iniquitous establishments as it was reputed to be a rough place.
After the laughter subsided we explained that the beer was good and a fair price, food was acceptable and the "entertainment" excellent.
We recommended he try it himself in future.