Laconica - Lanistes - Litiopa - Ships Nostalgia
19:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Laconica - Lanistes - Litiopa

User Tag List

Old 19th October 2017, 22:45
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 2000 - Present

Laconica - Lanistes - Litiopa

Hello,

I am searching for some close up pictures of the subject Shell tankers. I tried the search function, but not that much around, though interesting stories and memories from good old times (which I guess they were). Anybody out there who is in possession of some interesting deck piping/supports/catwalk and superstructure pictures? I am going to replicate a scale model on original plans. Those full ship view pictures I found on the internet are mostly small resolution fotoflite pictures not very hepful (including great helderline and Auke Visser's tanker site). I found one of the superstructure taken at a launching ceremony in Japan, but that's all. An old footage from early 80's is on youtube, but only few interesting angles are shown.

If anybody has an idea where to find photographs, please write here or send me a private message. Many thanks!

One other question ex crewmembers on same or similar tankers can answer surely: why these sisters did not come with bridge wings? Wasn't it necessary that master and pilot stay outside and watch the distance from that top? Was a mate placed during berthing and unberthing on the side boatdeck to call the distance, etc?
I think BP and Bergesen had similar designed tankers without bridge wings. A little bit strange, but unqiue looking!

Cheers,

Axel
Old 20th October 2017, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Hello,

I am searching for some close up pictures of the subject Shell tankers. I tried the search function, but not that much around, though interesting stories and memories from good old times (which I guess they were). Anybody out there who is in possession of some interesting deck piping/supports/catwalk and superstructure pictures? I am going to replicate a scale model on original plans. Those full ship view pictures I found on the internet are mostly small resolution fotoflite pictures not very hepful (including great helderline and Auke Visser's tanker site). I found one of the superstructure taken at a launching ceremony in Japan, but that's all. An old footage from early 80's is on youtube, but only few interesting angles are shown.

If anybody has an idea where to find photographs, please write here or send me a private message. Many thanks!

One other question ex crewmembers on same or similar tankers can answer surely: why these sisters did not come with bridge wings? Wasn't it necessary that master and pilot stay outside and watch the distance from that top? Was a mate placed during berthing and unberthing on the side boatdeck to call the distance, etc?
I think BP and Bergesen had similar designed tankers without bridge wings. A little bit strange, but unqiue looking!

Cheers,

Axel
LANISTES & LITIOPA on shipspotting.com
Old 20th October 2017, 21:40
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 2000 - Present

Thank you! These are one of these full view pictures which are intersting as well. Few are of higher resolution taken about 10 years ago in Singapore before conversion.

Anybody who is aware of sources of deck details?

Cheers,

Axel
Old 27th October 2017, 12:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
There is/was a website called Helderline, dedicated to Shell tankers. Worth a look if it still exists.
Old 27th October 2017, 19:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

One little known fact about the L class tankers, was it was known they could not go very slow astern when on SBM bouys and were known as Shells SBM Hunter Killer class ! However when I was on the Lima, the last of the "L" class, whilst tracing the systems. I discovered that the Lima could ! as there was a connection from the deck steam system in the "Snake pit" to the astern manouvering valve, that would allow the engine to go very slow astern, without problems of over heating ! I had to show the C\E as he didn't believe me!But when I showed him he had to agree. When he told the Company a lot of SH one T hit the fan ! Turned out the Lima was the only one of the class that had this fitted. I got muted thanks for pointing this out as I was an ex BP engineer and that I was the first to spot it !

Last edited by stevekelly10; 27th October 2017 at 19:19..