Captains of Colliers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captains of Colliers

User Tag List

Old 25th December 2008, 19:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Eng 2

I have a couple of Eng2s in my discharge book and from remembering the circumstances,I think it was when I was the only one being paid off, and without a representative of the BOT being present.

There were usually two signatures, one of the Master and the other an official from the shipping office of the port at which you were paying off.

In one of my cases it says "paid off at sea". It might also have had to do with the fact that I was engaged on "Foreign, Running Articles", which seemed to be popular with the RFA.I was given VG discharges on both occasions.

For the record, and in keeping with the thread, according to my Discharge Book, the Captain of the Corbrae in August 1957, was Galloway, and I believe he lived in Kent at Herne Bay.
Old 1st January 2009, 18:03

Collier Captains

Was the Stevie Clarke agent in Ipswich 1970-74 and knew a a lot of the collier men

I remember them as

Barford - Tudor
Cliff Quay - Moseley, Albert Dale, George Featherstone (catchphrase - I come from Ashington you know!) also Roberts, Hamlani
Capt J M Donaldson - Don Connacher then Tommy Purvis ( always with cigarette holder) , Gordon Williamson as mate and relieving master. Hamlani was on there as Mate sometimes then also on C Quay
Hackney - Macrae
Lord Citrine - Bob Kellett, George Gibson
Oliver Bury - T Purvis was her last UK master. Last voyage left Ipswich beginning Sept 70 for Tyne and sale.
Sir Arch Page - Bill Johnston ( used to spend a lot of time with him in the pub in Ipswich when we would visit the bank to draw crew wages...was very upset when he suddenly passed away...I believe he was dancing at the La Strada club in S Shields).
Sir John Snell - Bill Richmond
Sir William Walker - Bob? Wilson
Sir Johnstone Wright - George Hetherington ( very regular in Ipswich & much remember the huge tweed suits he'd wear when out of uniform. Once we got locked out of the office and he desperately needed to make a phone call so bunked him through the 5 ft high gents toilet window...much to the later amusement of my colleagues).
W J H Wood - Whitton, Danny Battle

Can't remember who was on the Merz...can picture one or two on th flatties but names fading a bit! Danny Battle, a true gent, told me he was on the Fulham 9 ..took her to Bolckow's for scrap.

S.C. vessels

Arundel - Alex Falconer
Pulborough - Lance Pearson or Paddy Atkinson
Rogate - Dougie Prior, Paddy Atkinson also...did a voyage with him in 74. 2nd Mate at time was Alfie Hansen's son.

Remember also Captains Bilton (maybe two of them), Armstrong, Johnson, China

Many more known..always enjoyed working with the collier men.. When one of the vessels was set to leave Ipswich on a Friday, the orders would come through from London and it was often my job to pop down to the ship to pass them on to the Master. Of course, the crew of largely Tyne or Wearsiders were waiting for the agent hoping to hear the destination was Sunderland, the Tyne, or Blyth, they would be trying to get the news as I walked to the bridge amidships.. Of course, I couldn't tell them before the Master, but would kid them on it was Methil or Stettin....at which point there would be no end of cursing of the apparently illegitimate b.....ers in the office in London . Some fell for it hook line and sinker.

Great vessels, great times.

Cheers, Ron
Old 1st January 2009, 18:37

Another master's name just jumped out at me... Johann Saalman, a Latvian I believe, who was on the 'Harry Dick' .

Once you start thinking about the old days, more memories return...

I now also recall Bill Johnston telling me he was on 'Francis Fladgate' around the second world war time... George Featherstone has similarly said he was on 'Mr Therm'. A couple of colliers I would love to have seen.

Oldest ex collier I can remember seeing was Costicos, ex Lea Grange of 1939, in pretty good condition, passing Istanbul in 1970.

Ron
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:09

Hi Ron

Some interesting movements in that Masters appear on different vessels since my time. Most I think would be through retirement but more kikely through the fleet shrinking as the coal trade began to disapear.

From the various replies that have come back since I put my first post on the subject into Shipsnostalgia a picture emerges as to the movements of the various masters. Oh to get access to the records that I helped to update in the crew department in Newcasle.

Like me, Captain Tudor was a Blyth man, and I last heard of him not too many years back. Featherstone did come from Ashington area and if I remember he smoked cigars.

Ken Cowie was my boss when I was moved to the Newcastle office from Blyth - was he your boss in Ipswich?

There are a few books about that may interest you if you have not seen them. Captain McCrae was co-author of The Steam Collier Fleets. There are books, mainly fleet lists and pictures, on SC and most of the fleets of other Owners.

Peter
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:51
Department: Purser
Active: 1964 - 1986

I joined the Pulborough shortly after she was built in 1965.
Alfie Hansen who lived in North Shields at that time, was the old man, he had been on the Methane Pioneer, (as mate I think)one of the first gas carriers. He later received a gong, possibly the OBE. He then took the Rogate out new.
Two of his sons were with Huntings at that time, one was a mate the other an engineer.
There was a popular song at that time, Alfie, sung by Cilla Black. When the crowd were looking for a sub, they would form a line oustide Alfie's cabin asnd sing "How's about a sub Alfie" I don't know if he was pleased about that or not.
The chief steward on the Pulborough at that trime was Sammy Allen from South Shields. A real gent who sailed with Stevie Clarkes all his life never getting any further south than the Eire. He was on his first ship for something like 17 years and probably never saied on more than ten ships or so throughout his working life.
Old 2nd January 2009, 19:37

Hi Peter

With promotions and retirements going on all the time they all moved around...gradually the guys off the flatties getting the bigger ships...

I've got the WSS books on the Gas and Electricity Colliers, plus the SC one. Capt Macrae showed me his drafts on the collier book when I was chatting to him in his cabin on the Hackney. I promised to buy the book when he finished it...but of course he passed away so early. Fortunately Mr Waine finished the project..although the initial script I saw seemed to be largely about the people on board the ships and from quite a personal reminiscence viewpoint. Capt Macrae was really nice guy.

And...yes, Ken Cowey was my boss in Ipswich from '72 ...retired a few years ago but lives a few hundred yards from me in Needham Market. Doing fine last time I saw him . Used to call everybody a 'footler' , which of course bewildered all and sundry down here! Despite his age, was a pretty good footballer.

Did you ever meet a chap in your area called Rodney Parker ?.. Not an SC man, but Ken knew him well... worked with me for a while when he was at Fednav in London and I at Navios...then 50% Fednav property..we sat next to each other. Now retired too.

cheers, Ron
Old 2nd January 2009, 19:45

Collier Coffee & Tea

Is it me , or was the collier beverage of such viscosity that you could stand a spoon up in it. I have strong memories of the hot, sweet drinks with obviously large amounts of condensed or evap milk in it...which made it rather heavy. Strange they should use that, as the colliers were seemingly never more than a day away from port and could have had fresh milk pretty easily... maybe old deep sea habits died hard with the catering staff.

In the office it was generally nicknamed 'Stevie Clarke coffee' ... Never quite as dense on any other vessels!

cheers, ron
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:15

Hi Ron

Ken was my immediate boss when I worked in the Newcastle office. Arthur Coates was in overall charge of the agency department at that time. T.H.Hewitt was the MD at that time. The department got involved in offshore agency and managed Total's operations in Jackson Dock West Hartlepool. It was through that involvement that I came to Aberdeen finally settling here in 1970.

Rodney Parker does not ring any immediate bells with me.

Coffee was the same in the Blyth office - tins of condensed milk - not to my tastes!

Peter
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:39
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
The Master on 'Charles H Merz' in 1965 was Bob Beatty, the Mate Andy Nelson. Master of the 'Ardingly in 1970 was 'Pedler' Palmer
Regards
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:45

Thanks Peter... when I see him I'll remember you to him.

cheers, Ron
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by awateah2 View Post
The Master on 'Charles H Merz' in 1965 was Bob Beatty, the Mate Andy Nelson. Master of the 'Ardingly in 1970 was 'Pedler' Palmer
Regards
Captain Beatty... that is right.. I remember the name now you have prompted me, thanks

I remember the Ardingly and the Steyning double banked in Ipswich wet dock in about 1968/9 both empty...don't know why...before my time with SC. Believe both too big for the Gasworks there so laying over for some reason. Usual fare for the Gasworks was Beeding, with occasional visit from Seaford, plus Comben Longstaff's W.. brooks

Cheers, Ron
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:13

Ron

Thats great thanks. Another SC captain that comes to mind is 'Clitheroe' but not sure which ship. One of the smaller ones as it was also domestic coal for the south coast - Beeding, Henfield, Totland? Must start putting the info into a spread sheet as some interesting info begining to appear from the various posts.
Old 4th January 2009, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Davies View Post
Captain Beatty... that is right.. I remember the name now you have prompted me, thanks

I remember the Ardingly and the Steyning double banked in Ipswich wet dock in about 1968/9 both empty...don't know why...before my time with SC. Believe both too big for the Gasworks there so laying over for some reason. Usual fare for the Gasworks was Beeding, with occasional visit from Seaford, plus Comben Longstaff's W.. brooks

Cheers, Ron
You Have it back aswards the Seaford did most trips to the gasworks, the Beeding did the "new"power station, most trips. I sailed on both of them, and while on the Seaford used to envy the Beeding getting shore power every trip while we had to "survive" with oil lamps after closing time, we are talking about Shoreham aint we?
Old 6th January 2009, 13:31

Not Shoreham Hamish...Ipswich.

Both the Beedeing and Seaford used to go to the Gasworks inside the Dock - starboard side after you locked in. You may remember there were hydraulic cranes there. Nearest pub - Happy Return, Shiplaunch or Lord Nelson. In the Shiplaunch (on the way to Cliff Quay, the barman was called Sid...a former steward who had signed off Stag Line's Camellia or Cydonia in the 60's and never got past the pub up the road where he seemed to have a rather nice relationship with the landlady.
Cheers, Ron
Old 6th January 2009, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Davies View Post
Not Shoreham Hamish...Ipswich.

Both the Beedeing and Seaford used to go to the Gasworks inside the Dock - starboard side after you locked in. You may remember there were hydraulic cranes there. Nearest pub - Happy Return, Shiplaunch or Lord Nelson. In the Shiplaunch (on the way to Cliff Quay, the barman was called Sid...a former steward who had signed off Stag Line's Camellia or Cydonia in the 60's and never got past the pub up the road where he seemed to have a rather nice relationship with the landlady.
Cheers, Ron
Sorry, must have been long after my time aboard them
Old 16th January 2009, 17:40

Totland Jan 64 J Johnson July 64 E Robson
Old 19th January 2009, 14:35

Collier Captains

My father, Charles SLEIGHTHOLME, was a Captain with Corys and reguarly sailed out of Blyth in the sixties until his retirement in 1971.
He took the Cormain on a couple of six month charters up to the Baltic and also made a few trips with the Corstar/Corsea/Corstream down the Med.
He took over as Captain of the Corbeach on Captain Griffith's retirement until his own retirement in 1971
Old 21st January 2009, 16:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentaship View Post
I have turned my mind over re the Bowcombe which was a Stephenson Clarke vessel but keep coming up with a blank. The Master I think was from the Hartlepool / Teeside areas - a very nice man and there is something in my mind that he had lost a son. Last time I saw the Golden Fleece it was still there but all boarded up. The Seven Stars and the Dun Cow are long gone.
As are the Stephenson Clarke offices, which were on the quayside in front of the tugboat mooring jettys.

Peter.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:15

Colliers

More Colliers Mv Dalewood Captain Larry Scott Mv Kylebank Captain Wright Mv Waterland Who I Think Was Captain Carney
Old 15th February 2009, 20:00

Sorry for late reply just seen this one

was with Capt Judge on the Lea Grange in 1959 also Capt Monger who relieved hin for a while just when I left
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:22

Heyshott Capt Hanson 1953 Fulham Ten capt D Battle 1953
Fulham three capt Hardie 1953 Rattray Head G Grey 1954
Francis Fladgate capt W.Johnson 1st mate Ben Grimmer. 1955
Bodmin Moor capt richardson Walcrete ex pool sound capt W H james 1959
Old 28th February 2009, 02:55

Cap'tn (steamboat) Willy Donnen of the ''Kylebrook'' of Monroes coasters
Old 14th March 2009, 15:08

Collier Captains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketyneside View Post
My father, Charles SLEIGHTHOLME, was a Captain with Corys and reguarly sailed out of Blyth in the sixties until his retirement in 1971.
He took the Cormain on a couple of six month charters up to the Baltic and also made a few trips with the Corstar/Corsea/Corstream down the Med.
He took over as Captain of the Corbeach on Captain Griffith's retirement until his own retirement in 1971
Hi Miketyneside. I sailed with your Dad twice on the Corbeach. First time was in Goole July 69 for 5 weeks and then for a couple of weeks in December 69 I was relieving the Chief engineer both times. The thing that I remember about him was that on payday when we collected our wages in the smokeroom he had a lifeboat on the table, and we were expected to put our loose change into it. Regards Peter Ross
Old 14th March 2009, 19:40
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Brimsdown= Capt JS Taylor
Portslade = T. Bone
Firelight = R.Newcombe
Sir David 11 = AB Sheridan
David Pollock= AS Hardy
Harting = W. Morrel
Old 15th March 2009, 12:19

"Portslade = T. Bone"

A martinet, sailed with him on Amberley.

John T.