Captains of Colliers - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captains of Colliers

User Tag List

Old 15th March 2009, 14:17

although i dont go back as far as some of the postings i would like to mention two of the finest gentlemen i ever met during my time at sea.the cymbeline ,ex dalewood you had CAPTAIN JOHN POTTER and stephenson clarke CAPTAIN GORDON PAYNE who i sailed with on ashington,aldrington,donnington.it was a pleasure to have met and sailed with these two men.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:35

I sailed with Captain Gordon Paine on Washington, 1980-82, & he was a true gent who had time for everyone on board.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:38

I was only a child at the time, but back in the '50's I think the captain of the Spray out of Aberdeen was Captain Geddes. He might have been in Thrift, but I think it was Spray.

Dave
Old 16th March 2009, 18:32

My father (Eddie Wraith) was on a number of colliers in the 50s and 60s and though he had his Masters Ticket I don't think he captained any of them. He was on the Thomas Goulden, Frederick John Evans, Samuel Clegg, Sheaf Arrow, Firelight and Fireguard and others.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1959 - 2002

How many of you ex Collier men remember Charles (Charlie) Murray of North Thames Gas ?. I sailed with him as R/O on the SS Winsor/MAUE in the early
1960's. What a man to tell a story (some rather dubious !).
Old 1st July 2009, 18:31
Active: 1953 - 1960

mv Blackwall Point (CEA) but she was managed by Stephenson Clarke. I was there 1958 to 1960. Regular Master was Cap. Tom Purvis from East Boldon. Relief Masters were Saalman and Pedersen. Before Tom took over Capn. W G Woods was there when the ship was on a south Wales run. In my time Blackwall Point was mainly Dunston to Battersea power station. Anyone know what became of Ch/Eng Richardson or 2nd Engr John Sundin ?
David Whitehead.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:36

ss Hawkwood of WFF fame. Again the late Fifties but two Masters I remember were Douglas (surname) and Talbot. Hope the info is useful.
Old 1st July 2009, 18:59

My location
Does anyone have information about Cap't.Arthur Hill,master of the collier Wimbledon,who lost his life when the ship foundered near Cromar in 1956.He was a neighbour when I lived in South Shields.Thanks...Doug
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:44

1979 Pulborough Captain Newbold
1979 Aldrington Captain E W (Ted) Welch
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:20

Rentaship,
In the second half of the sixties I somehow found the name of a Captain Bedford from Stevies Marine Personnel Dept. Never met him, but he always found me a few weeks work, if there was a reason I needed it between deep sea ships.
Looking in my book I've got a stamp for Storrington, Captain Pearson late '66, and one for Beeding '69, with Captain W.Brenen.
I can vaguely remember both of them and recall that Brenen had some health problems, although obviously not bad enough to prevent him going to sea.
My eternal memory of the Beeding is of those underwater toilets, where you had to flush and pump on a handle at the same time or "get your own back" all over the toilet deck.
Old 6th August 2009, 17:08
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb42 View Post
Rentaship,
In the second half of the sixties I somehow found the name of a Captain Bedford from Stevies Marine Personnel Dept. Never met him, but he always found me a few weeks work, if there was a reason I needed it between deep sea ships.
Looking in my book I've got a stamp for Storrington, Captain Pearson late '66, and one for Beeding '69, with Captain W.Brenen.
I can vaguely remember both of them and recall that Brenen had some health problems, although obviously not bad enough to prevent him going to sea.
My eternal memory of the Beeding is of those underwater toilets, where you had to flush and pump on a handle at the same time or "get your own back" all over the toilet deck.
a great bloke, i was interviewed by him and thorney- gibson when i joined stevies in 1972. met him a few times in my spell with them.
i believe he was involved in setting up the collier trade on the argentine coast
Old 8th August 2009, 10:33

Collier captains

Capt Surtees of the Ardingly.
There was also a Capt Duke but cant remember which ship.
.The Golden Fleece had a coal bogey which was handy for keeping the pies hot on pay day.
Lance Ball
Old 8th August 2009, 18:15

Anyone remember John Reay who went on to be HarbourMaster at Blyth? Another great bloke to sail with.
Old 9th August 2009, 15:42
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1988

Sailed with John a few times,I think the last time may have been on the Ashington.I cant remember if he was old man or mate.Someone told me he had gone to work on the dredgers? A really nice down to earth guy.
Regards
George
Old 10th August 2009, 15:10

i to sailed with john reay on his last trip with stevies,not sure if it was the ashington or washington but he did leave to take up some post at blyth harbour.like already said he was a nice fellow.a few more namews that come to mind are,
mike rushbrook
bill gibson
gordon young
don mc cloud
chris goddard
just a few that pop to mind any one remember them?
Old 10th August 2009, 15:18
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael higgins View Post
.a few more namews that come to mind are,
mike rushbrook
bill gibson
gordon young
don mc cloud
chris goddard
just a few that pop to mind any one remember them?
hi michael, gordon young was mate with me on the beeding, a good shipmate. i met him again when i was piloting he was then working for the met office, visiting ships in tees and hartlepool
b rgds
Old 10th August 2009, 17:33

Don McCloud was Mate on Washington when I was there 1980-82 along with Cap't Bill Sutherland. One of the best Mates I sailed with, a honest bloke who knew how to man manage.
Old 11th August 2009, 19:15
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1988

Pat,had a look and found my discharge books,indeed i sailed with John Reay,he was captain on the Ashington.Possibly it was one of the mates on there that went to the dredgers,mabye Davey Mc Clusky.Heres a few more names that people may remember.
Captain John Stevens ---mv Portslade (gentleman of the old school).
" Ben Wappat---mv Portslade.
" Alan Calvert (i think) paid himself off Portslade unwell,died at home next day.
" Jack Barrus from Sunderland ---Portslade & old Storrington (went ashore with health problems).
" Brian pratt (Brian was known as a witch or as he himself described it,a believer in the Old Religion.
" Bobby Thompson fron Jarrow (great singer).
" Malcom Birne.
" Brian Reid--mv Emerald.
" Cyril Twommey---mv Gem.
" Peter Dyer--- several including the tankers.

Regards
George
" Joe Johnson---I believe Captain Joe drowned in a swimming accident when in retirement.

Last edited by finetune; 11th August 2009 at 19:18.. Reason: add name
Old 13th August 2009, 09:00

George. It was Dave McCluskey who went on the dredger in Blyth. he is now with Westminster Dredging. I was with Brian Pratt on Ferring, a bit weird with the Druid stuff Ha!!
Old 20th August 2009, 22:39

Captain Woods Was The Master On The Mv Amenity In 1948 One Of Everard's Ships, All The Best Gordon Savage
Old 20th August 2009, 23:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Captains of Colliers

What has the Capt of the Amenity got to do with Captains of Colliers. Bligh was Captain of the Bounty!
Old 9th September 2009, 01:44

Hello All.

My Grandad was Captain Saalman. He died about 6 years ago. Oliver Bury,James Rowan,Dane Caroline Haslett, Battersea, Brimsdown,Harry Rirchardson are some of the ships I remember on. I did trips on several of them on my school holidays!
Sailed with Mr Payne when he was first mate on the Battersea. Also remember Wally Halliday on the Rowan and Battersea.Unfortunately he jumped over the side a few years back.

Remember a police investigation when I was on board when a barrel of wine disappeared from the bonded warehouse at Shoreham.Think the lads stored it in one of the water tanks and threw the barrel over the side. I still have SS Brimsdowns chartroom barometer and clock in my house at home, removed when it was taken for scrap in the 70's. I have wound the clock up religiously for over 20 years when it was handed on to me.

Also remember a Mr Duff,first mate on the Caroline Hasslett. The guys on watch used to get me to shout down the bridge air vent to his cabin!

My brother also got his kite stuck around the foghorn cable on the James Rowan and started pulling it. When it hooted, thought it was ny grandad on the bridge.The guys sleeping off watch thought there was an iceberg!
Old 10th September 2009, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfields01 View Post
Hello All.

My Grandad was Captain Saalman. He died about 6 years ago. Oliver Bury,James Rowan,Dane Caroline Haslett, Battersea, Brimsdown,Harry Rirchardson are some of the ships I remember on. I did trips on several of them on my school holidays!
Sailed with Mr Payne when he was first mate on the Battersea. Also remember Wally Halliday on the Rowan and Battersea.Unfortunately he jumped over the side a few years back.

Remember a police investigation when I was on board when a barrel of wine disappeared from the bonded warehouse at Shoreham.Think the lads stored it in one of the water tanks and threw the barrel over the side. I still have SS Brimsdowns chartroom barometer and clock in my house at home, removed when it was taken for scrap in the 70's. I have wound the clock up religiously for over 20 years when it was handed on to me.

Also remember a Mr Duff,first mate on the Caroline Hasslett. The guys on watch used to get me to shout down the bridge air vent to his cabin!

My brother also got his kite stuck around the foghorn cable on the James Rowan and started pulling it. When it hooted, thought it was ny grandad on the bridge.The guys sleeping off watch thought there was an iceberg!
Hello Captain Saalman occasionally relieved Tommy Purvis on the Blackwall Point in the late Fifties. Remember him well and a very nice pleasant man he was.
Old 29th September 2009, 03:43

Anyone remember Donald Patrickson?
Old 8th October 2009, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Anyone remember Donald Patrickson?
Hi, I remember Donal Patrickson from the Washington,
Others were;
Ralph Potts
Dickie Atkinson
Neil Ramsay
Dave Carlton