Arrochar - Ships Nostalgia
21:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arrochar

User Tag List

Old 18th February 2018, 14:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Arrochar

This is more about Arrochar the place but the connection is there! I discovered a website recently about derelict places and anyone interested in Arrochar the establishment might like to look at the following sites:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/mai...l#.Wol_dKjFLIU

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/mai...l#.Wol_8KjFLIU

Such a shame to see all the dereliction.
Old 18th February 2018, 14:39
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
That is a good site. I'm a member myself, and it's filled with fascinating stuff.
Old 18th February 2018, 14:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
This is more about Arrochar the place but the connection is there! I discovered a website recently about derelict places and anyone interested in Arrochar the establishment might like to look at the following sites:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/mai...l#.Wol_dKjFLIU

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/mai...l#.Wol_8KjFLIU

Such a shame to see all the dereliction.
Recollect, in the early sixties going over there from the TEE on an MTB with a torpedo for test launching.
ISTR the tubes(s) were under water in a concrete cofferdam.
Old 18th February 2018, 15:14
Active: 1963 - 1979

They had wire cables strung out between buoys on the loch. I recall inadvertently sailing into one in the dark. This was in the ship's bosun dinghy we'd been at the pub ( Ardmay House Hotel ?). Anyway we got away with it no damage to boat or gear major bollocking for yours truly when we got back to the ship at Glen Douglas.

Looking at the pictures of the old torpedo testing station reinforces my view that the MoD should be made to clean up their redundant facilities rather than leaving them as eyesores all over the country.
Old 18th February 2018, 17:08

My location
I remember when a torpedo went haywire, ran up the beach on the opposite side of the loch and hit a forestry truck. Another time a torpedo went through the keel of a Loch Long class sloop, it was later repaired at Portsmouth Dockyard and returned with a small brass plaque recognozing the event.
Old 18th February 2018, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunamara View Post
I remember when a torpedo went haywire, ran up the beach on the opposite side of the loch and hit a forestry truck. Another time a torpedo went through the keel of a Loch Long class sloop, it was later repaired at Portsmouth Dockyard and returned with a small brass plaque recognozing the event.
I heard about that one.
Old 18th February 2018, 19:11

Quote:
I think I am right in saying one man died and one lost his legs in the incident.
My late uncle in law was a designer boffin up there, eccentric in the extreme. He told me one torpedo went AWOL, went up the beach over the road and landed beside a guy in a deck chair reading the Sunday papers.
A small ferry, the Dutchess of Breadalbane got a VHF call one day telling her, in no uncertain terms, to steam a tight circle. A torpedo was trying to lock onto her and turned until it out of fuel.
I never got his stories substantiated but he was not renowned for his humour.
Old 18th February 2018, 19:57
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoR View Post
They had wire cables strung out between buoys on the loch. I recall inadvertently sailing into one in the dark. This was in the ship's bosun dinghy we'd been at the pub ( Ardmay House Hotel ?). Anyway we got away with it no damage to boat or gear major bollocking for yours truly when we got back to the ship at Glen Douglas.
Lovely place. We used to go camping near there as kids and took our home-built boat out onto the Loch. We were often asked to move out of the way as the station was going to fire 'a wee shot'.
Regards, Mike
Old 18th February 2018, 20:26

My location
One time when we left Loch Goil under sail for Gourock the wind became very strong up Loch long so we decided to tie up at the testing station wharf for the night. Armed guards tried to get rid of us but recognized we were in potential danger and allowed us to stay but the guards watched over us all night. When we arrived in Gourock the next afternoon we were told that the Empress of Britain had dragged two anchors the night before. Thank goodness we did not try to cross the estuary.
Old 19th February 2018, 11:43

On RFA Resource in 1968 we were alongside at Glen Malloch and a few of us fancied going to the head of the loch for a few beers. The choff offered a boat and put a deck cadet and eng cadet to crew the boat. The boat was tied up and off we went. After a couple of beers the cadets were invited to join us. After a couple of hours we left to find the boat clear of the water. It had been overlooked that the loch was tidal! We left a 3rd eng with the cadets and took a taxi back to the ship. Court of enquiry next morning, but a mistake never repeated.
Old 19th February 2018, 16:03

Quote:
One time when we left Loch Goil under sail for Gourock the wind became very strong up Loch long so we decided to tie up at the testing station wharf for the night. Armed guards tried to get rid of us but recognized we were in potential danger and allowed us to stay but the guards watched over us all night. When we arrived in Gourock the next afternoon we were told that the Empress of Britain had dragged two anchors the night before. Thank goodness we did not try to cross the estuary.
Yes, it can get unpleasant there. On my trip on the MTB, one of the crew spent the trip puking in a bucket.
Old 19th February 2018, 16:08

Quote:
McLean’s Yard in Gourock could have done the job but I guess it was less fiscally embarrassing for the MoD to do it themselves.
Old 19th February 2018, 16:19
Active: 1966 - 2009

Just a reminder of the vessel RMAS Arrochar (seen here alongside a Type 42) and her previous incarnation as HMAV St George:

http://www.rfanostalgia.org/gallery3...mmo/Arrochar-2

http://www.rfanostalgia.org/gallery3...eous/St-George
Old 20th February 2018, 20:47

My location
I can't remember the exact wording now but there used to be a large notice on the other side of the loch warning to keep off the shore as torpedoes were liable to run ashore.
I can't imagine what would have happened if a torpedo did go awry and hit one of the steamers that used to regularly visit Arrochar pier - now very derelict.
Happy days,
gwzm