Pride in Maritime Heritage - Ships Nostalgia
19:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pride in Maritime Heritage

User Tag List

Old 2nd May 2009, 21:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Pride in Maritime Heritage

I have just returned from Hamburg, First time I have been there for almost 30 years. What struck me is its pride in being a Port City.
Everywhere you go you are reminded of this, pictures in restaurants, at the railway station, on public transport even talking to people. Maritime museums such as Cap San Diego, Rickmer Rickmers, even the fact that if you buy a day ticket for public transport you can travel for free on the ferries on the river.
Contrast this with many ports in UK which seem to be doing all they can to hide their maritime heritage building high price homes in former dock areas even the proposition in Edinburgh thankfully now dropped to change the name of Leith Docks to Edinburgh Harbour.
Dave
Old 11th January 2019, 12:18
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 2010 - Present

I also like Hamburg and the whole of it fills me with nostalgia.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:51

The thing is - Hamburg is the second largest port in Europe, after Rotterdam. They are still a serious factor in the shipping business, and have a real need to inform others in that business of the fact. This in contrast to former important ports like Oslo, Norway, that is practically dead as a place for loading and unloading ship's cargoes.