Ocean Inchcape ex members? - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ocean Inchcape ex members?

User Tag List

Old 10th March 2010, 20:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
Clive Cunningham? London guy who settled in Canada?.......if so I sailed with him on the Canmar boats in the late 90's out of Yarmouth, sorry to hear of his passing, a nice easy going guy, still spoke like a Londoner with a hint of the Canadian accent.
Old 12th March 2010, 05:19

My location
Thumbs up Capt'n Clive cunningham

Yes that is the same Capt'n Clive, He was a very well liked guy in CANMAR and was master of their largest icebreaker the KIGORIAK, I played a round of golf with him a few weeks before he went and he still managed to make a joke of things BUT really liked to win the pot!, it was lung cancer and he gave it a good fight. We all here miss him.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Paddy" walsh View Post
Hi all,
Joined OIL in 72 with Barry Cork , Ray Mcrown on the Oil Prospector the first ship as I recall. Two great Masters but of different styles so learnt from the best of them on some wild and crazy anchor jobs with Sedco 135F. I was Master on the Oil Prospector and then a couple of years on the Oil Mariner out of Aberdeen working the Ocean Cockup as we called it then. Clive Cunningham was master on the sistership the OIL Driller and we both ended up in Canada working for CANMAR in the Arctic. Sadly Clive has sailed on but he was just the same great character to the end.
All this is a long time ago now and early days in the North Sea offshore but it was a great outfit and as always I sailed with the best of folk.
Mal Walsh Canada
Ray McCrohan was Master with Seaforth for a lot of years and I imagine he has now retired. Ivan Leask and John de Barr were also ex -OIL Masters that joined Seaforth.
Donald Campbell
Old 4th April 2010, 09:58
Active: 1969 - Present

A lot of names from the past here guys.
I was with OSA when OIL took us over and was the first Master to be moved over to the Tiger and sister vessel in West Africa as I already knew the guys on board these vessels in WA as I was the local bottle store to them before Oil/Osa came together.
I had a good laugh down there we had a really great set of guys at the time to many names to mention and still hear from a couple.
Was in Singapore when Tidewater took over and reverted back to the North Sea after a year to go on the Oil Provider where I stayed until she out went out to Brasil. Managed to get paid off in the end when they changed our contracts to the International.
Great times never to be repeated!!!!
Old 24th April 2010, 13:24

Thumbs up

Hi guys just found this post the other day.I have been looking at all the names which brought back memories of old.I can agree with one quote that the working for the old oil was the best time i have ever spent at sea.I was on most of them what i can remember .First one was DISCOVERER NOVEMBER 75.then DRILLER, HUSTLER ,HARRIER,MARINER,CHANCELLOR,i forget most of the names need longer to think later on was on osa boats till 2 for one came in then went to seaforth,mearsk,ect now on the caladonian boats out of aberdeen.
Old 24th April 2010, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraigmor View Post
I remember old John, one of the AB's that was on her. He used to make ships in bottles and that. Sailed with him after she was sold off when we did trips on the 'OIL Endeavour'.

Good bloke.

Jonty
I met old john years ago when we were working out of haysham,i got one of his ships off him at that time.I olso got a couple off norman jaimison while working down the falklands on the mariner.Norman was shown how to do the ship in the bottles from old john and turned out to be one of the best at the job i have ever seen,Im not sure but i think john died just before retirment from a heart attack
Old 24th April 2010, 17:03

Quote:
That's the Ross! His brother was an excellent cook. Rossie came out to Mexico with us on the 'Venturer' but I didn't see him back for the second - and last trip. That was the infamous one where Sam McCluskie came out to tell us we were being replaced - he had come out to do something on the 'Cunard Countess' and fitted us in - so we promptly sat in and worked to rule until we were given jobs in the Northsea. OIL was fair in that respect. They didn't shoot us in the back after providing us with a letter stating we would all be redeployed back to the Northsea.

Another name from that time was Jimmy Dixon, an AB, but he didn't do a second trip either. One enginneer was 'Barnsley' Bill - still have an image of him appearing at the crew messdeck door crossing Biscay trying to say we had a fire down below! Was quickly put out but he left oil and crap all over the freshly polished decks!

The Leading Hand was from Whitby - Martin. We had a near mutiny in Panama when we were told we could not go ashore but the officers did - and after they arrived back with a few bevvies in them, we made a huge raft out of oil drums and pallets and planned to row it ashore unless we were given the same courtesy of shore leave! They grudgingly gave it to us - after all we were on the hook there for ten days!

Some names ring bells. John Innes used to live on a yacht, well he did when I knew him! Lovely bloke. He was on the 'Endeavour'. Another second mate was called Pete - again, I remember him as a good guy.

There was a greaser out of Dundee called Jimmy - no, not a cliche! - and we used to wind him up something rotten. Left him with the end of as fire hose in Lerwick while we said we were going to test it - gave it full welly and what a sight! The poor bloke was wrestling it trying tio get it to stay still! That was on the 'Hustler' - and he was one of the best Greasers she had.

Pete Smith was second mate for a bit on the 'Hustler'. He later went on the skipper the 'OIL Tiger' out of Yarmouth when I next saw him.

Margaret was a lovely lady and you're right: if you did her a favour she always remembered it and did you one back when she could.

Jonty
Their were two jimmys from dundee both motormen jimmy kid ,who couldent see and the other jimmy who couldent hear,They were quite a sight to watch together in the pub after a few drinks .
Old 26th April 2010, 12:27
Active: 1968 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruce View Post
Their were two jimmys from dundee both motormen jimmy kid ,who couldent see and the other jimmy who couldent hear,They were quite a sight to watch together in the pub after a few drinks .
I sailed with Jimmy Kidd on the OIL Challenger working from Shed 16 Dundee, what a character he was, we used to get our duty frees when going North of 61 and Jimmy would store them for us at his house in Dundee and we would pick up our bottles at the end of the trip usually in the pub, i think it was called the unicorn.

Is this the same Wullie Bruce from Montrose, who was also on the C class along with George Saxton, some pair, gave Baz Unite worried times lol
Old 26th April 2010, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkneyman View Post
I sailed with Jimmy Kidd on the OIL Challenger working from Shed 16 Dundee, what a character he was, we used to get our duty frees when going North of 61 and Jimmy would store them for us at his house in Dundee and we would pick up our bottles at the end of the trip usually in the pub, i think it was called the unicorn.

Is this the same Wullie Bruce from Montrose, who was also on the C class along with George Saxton, some pair, gave Baz Unite worried times lol
Yup thats me still as daft as ever bit older but aint we all yes as i said before those were the good old days.After i left oil i was on the sun wrestler for a few years .Robbo [Dave robertson] was the bosun on my back to back good bunch of lads on there and the job was just the same as working for the old oil.After that i went to mearsk for seven years ,I am now on the caladonian vigilance sailing out of aberdeen.I was speaking to alex macdonald the cook yesterday he was leaving for brazil for five weeks with farstad.He said george saxton has retired after having an accident on some boat a while ago and cant pass a medical now
Old 26th April 2010, 22:36
Active: 1968 - 2010

My location
Hello Wullie good to hear from you, thats right i remember now you were on the Sun Wrestler for a while, i saw Robbo when i was on the Monarch Bay in Equatorial Guinea he was on a swires boat, that would have been around 2002/2003. Sorry to hear about Sax. Yes good times with OIL just like a big family. We had some laughs i was trying to remeber some of the names of the guys that was on the C class, there was a Davy thats was bosun on the Challenger he came from Mussleburgh i think, Where is ross these days, Alex still going strong then. Is that he BP jigsaw boats your on, i met a guy last year when i was in Orkney for a wedding that was invloved with that boats name of Mossley, guess you know who i mean.
I am heading to Bahrain on Friday for a couple of years working with Noble Denton as marine surveyor/Rigmover, i have already done 4 years in Doha, Qatar with them as well.
Cheers for now
Alan
Old 26th April 2010, 23:04
Active: 1974 - 1994

My location
Sad old John's crossed the bar. He was a great bloke. I sailed with him on the 'OIL Endeavour' the deck crew were Neil Beatty (Leading Hand), Jimmy Agnew, John and Derek McKay and myself on deck.

Jimmy Kidd! That's the man! I was with him on the 'OIL Hustler'.

I remember a lot of incidents with him - one being asked to hold the fire hose whilst the chief tested the fire pump. We'd snaked it out on the quayside in Lerwick and us AB's left it alone while Jimmy held the end - then the Leading Hand (Colin Campbell, a fine man from Stonehaven, a decent seaman and all) gave it full whack......Jimmy was sent scudding everywhere with the power in the hose and hung on for dear life - we (as you do) couldn't stop laughing.

The crew on the 'OIL Hustler then (names from all watches) was - as far as I can recall - Ian Fyfe and Baz Unite (Masters), Bill (the mate), Willie (from the Western Islands) and Adrian Rose(Second Mates), we also had a cadet called Ray. Engineers I can't recall. Deck crew were Colin Campbell (Leading Hand), John Pedder (AB) me (AB) and a guy from Aberdeen Colin Mc....something. The Motorman was Jimmy Kidd. The cook was a guy from Blackpool - Tommy - something or other.

They were a good outfit to work for.

Jonty
Old 27th April 2010, 17:56

Quote:
Sad old John's crossed the bar. He was a great bloke. I sailed with him on the 'OIL Endeavour' the deck crew were Neil Beatty (Leading Hand), Jimmy Agnew, John and Derek McKay and myself on deck.

Jimmy Kidd! That's the man! I was with him on the 'OIL Hustler'.

I remember a lot of incidents with him - one being asked to hold the fire hose whilst the chief tested the fire pump. We'd snaked it out on the quayside in Lerwick and us AB's left it alone while Jimmy held the end - then the Leading Hand (Colin Campbell, a fine man from Stonehaven, a decent seaman and all) gave it full whack......Jimmy was sent scudding everywhere with the power in the hose and hung on for dear life - we (as you do) couldn't stop laughing.

The crew on the 'OIL Hustler then (names from all watches) was - as far as I can recall - Ian Fyfe and Baz Unite (Masters), Bill (the mate), Willie (from the Western Islands) and Adrian Rose(Second Mates), we also had a cadet called Ray. Engineers I can't recall. Deck crew were Colin Campbell (Leading Hand), John Pedder (AB) me (AB) and a guy from Aberdeen Colin Mc....something. The Motorman was Jimmy Kidd. The cook was a guy from Blackpool - Tommy - something or other.

They were a good outfit to work for.

Jonty
I was with baz on the chancellor after that he went to work for viking.John pedder married a girl in aberdeen and went offshore on rigs and suchlike,I remember ian fyfe the other guys i probably met at on time or another but i have always been crap with names.
Old 27th April 2010, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkneyman View Post
Hello Wullie good to hear from you, thats right i remember now you were on the Sun Wrestler for a while, i saw Robbo when i was on the Monarch Bay in Equatorial Guinea he was on a swires boat, that would have been around 2002/2003. Sorry to hear about Sax. Yes good times with OIL just like a big family. We had some laughs i was trying to remeber some of the names of the guys that was on the C class, there was a Davy thats was bosun on the Challenger he came from Mussleburgh i think, Where is ross these days, Alex still going strong then. Is that he BP jigsaw boats your on, i met a guy last year when i was in Orkney for a wedding that was invloved with that boats name of Mossley, guess you know who i mean.
I am heading to Bahrain on Friday for a couple of years working with Noble Denton as marine surveyor/Rigmover, i have already done 4 years in Doha, Qatar with them as well.
Cheers for now
Alan
Sounds like your still getting around a bit sounds good.I think ross works ashore now not sure would have to ask big alex.I know the dave u were on about he was leading hand with me and saxton on the oil driller been trying to remembere his second name but no joy would have to ask big alex.Who should remember him as one time he passed the cabin and handed alex somthing wraped in tinfoil which turned out to be,A FRESH TURD!anyway take care enjoy the job .Willy
Old 27th April 2010, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMARINE View Post
Photos of OIL boats are on www.images-of-ships.me.uk.
I joined the Oil Challenger (the pipe-carrier) as Mate in May 1977, John Gegan as Master, and after 6 weeks on there (a lot of time anchored in the Tay) was sent to join the Oil Producer (with a suitcase full of generator spares) in Dakar on her way back from the Congo. Masters there were John Partridge and M.K. Russell (first trip Master).
Joined Oil Explorer in July 1978, Masters Bas Unite & Alan Burns, then left OIL in November '78 to join Seaforth and was there until August '81 when I also had an accident at Sedco 703.
Donald Campbell
I clicked on this link with no joy can annyone point me in the right direction to obtain some photos of the old oil boats thanks.thebrucexx
Old 27th April 2010, 20:45

My location
That site is down - pity. It had most the offshore boats - and all of OIL's apart from the 'Endeavour.m which I cannot find a picture of at all!
Old 30th June 2010, 14:43

Oil

Hi Paddy,

I happened by your post looking for a photo of the OIL DRAGON. glad to hear you are still ticking over. Seem to recollect the last time we met was at OTC Houston, probably in 1988? You were standing beside the UK stand, saying to some associate words to the effect "I wonder what happened to that old bugger King" ...and I was standing immediately beside you.

So sorry to hear of Clive Cunningham's passing. He was a great guy. Lovely story of his assisting me lay the merchant banker who had supported the purchase of VIKING VIGILANT out on his own board table in Aberdeen after we had enjoyed rather too much of his hospitality. Clive, ever the gentleman, pinned a "thank you" note on his chest before we left.

Do you ever hear of Ray MacCroan and any of the other old team.

Happy days,

Cheers,

PHK
Old 6th July 2010, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruce View Post
Yup thats me still as daft as ever bit older but aint we all yes as i said before those were the good old days.After i left oil i was on the sun wrestler for a few years .Robbo [Dave robertson] was the bosun on my back to back good bunch of lads on there and the job was just the same as working for the old oil.After that i went to mearsk for seven years ,I am now on the caladonian vigilance sailing out of aberdeen.I was speaking to alex macdonald the cook yesterday he was leaving for brazil for five weeks with farstad.He said george saxton has retired after having an accident on some boat a while ago and cant pass a medical now
Hi Willie, Good to hear you survived after the Wrestler, especially Israel! I'm on the Irish Sea Pioneer in Liverpool Bay after several years with Swires. Brian McConnell is here as well. A 2/E on the Pacific Blade, Ian McNaughton knew you well. Terry Rowe.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peter King View Post
Hi Paddy,

I happened by your post looking for a photo of the OIL DRAGON. glad to hear you are still ticking over. Seem to recollect the last time we met was at OTC Houston, probably in 1988? You were standing beside the UK stand, saying to some associate words to the effect "I wonder what happened to that old bugger King" ...and I was standing immediately beside you.

So sorry to hear of Clive Cunningham's passing. He was a great guy. Lovely story of his assisting me lay the merchant banker who had supported the purchase of VIKING VIGILANT out on his own board table in Aberdeen after we had enjoyed rather too much of his hospitality. Clive, ever the gentleman, pinned a "thank you" note on his chest before we left.

Do you ever hear of Ray MacCroan and any of the other old team.

Happy days,

Cheers,

PHK
Re: Ray MacCroan - see Post 28 above.
Donald Campbell
Old 9th July 2010, 07:00

Thanks Donald,

Kind regards,

Peter King
Old 16th July 2010, 17:38

Sorry havent been on for a while had a heart attack just as ship was mooring in aberdeen.Ended up with double bypass and a few other bits need fixing hope to be up and running in two to three months.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltel View Post
Hi Willie, Good to hear you survived after the Wrestler, especially Israel! I'm on the Irish Sea Pioneer in Liverpool Bay after several years with Swires. Brian McConnell is here as well. A 2/E on the Pacific Blade, Ian McNaughton knew you well. Terry Rowe.
Glad to hear all still well with you and i remember ian god that was years ago time does fly ..
Old 10th August 2010, 16:18

Hi all
Just joined and found this thread, I spent some happy times in OIL. I recognise so many names mentioned, it seems only yesterday. I was on the:-
Oil Discoverer (North Sea, Brunei, Mexico)
Oil Venturer (Mexico)
Oil Producer (North Sea)
Oil Endeavour (North Sea, Sicily) (yes with both Ross AB & Cyclops)
Arzanah (Gulf)
I also remember Alex Macdonald (Cook) when anchor handling we had to drag him in off the deck back to the galley.

Many happy memories - particularly west coast Mexico - Guaymas, Mazatlan and Isla Isabella

Last edited by geoff47; 10th August 2010 at 16:21..
Old 10th August 2010, 16:54
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Geoff47 and a warm welcome to SN on your first posting. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:36

My location
Geoff,

I was on the 'Venturer' out in Mexico. Martin - from Whitby - was the Leading Hand but I can't recall the other AB's. Was also on the 'OIL Endeavour' out in Sicily too. Leading hand then was Neil Beatty. Maybe we were opposite watches?

Jonty
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:37

Hi Jonty
I was on the Disco on the West Coast, two trips, then the Venturer on the East side, Do you remember the Endeavour, with all the "Cones" to blow up the seabed for the new power cable, we lost an ROV in the current.

Geoff