Ocean Inchcape ex members? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ocean Inchcape ex members?

User Tag List

Old 12th September 2010, 06:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 2010

My location
Hello Willie.
Sorry to hear about the ol ticker problem, i hope you are in good shape now and feeling a lot better after the refit.
I am still out in Bahrain, hoping to be home for xmas.
Spoke to another ex OIL guy the other day a Richard Wyborn, engineer, think he was based in Dundee then Woking.
Cheers
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruce View Post
Sorry havent been on for a while had a heart attack just as ship was mooring in aberdeen.Ended up with double bypass and a few other bits need fixing hope to be up and running in two to three months.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:11
Active: 1974 - 1994

My location
Hi Geoff,

No - was probably on leave when that happend!

I do remember we were on scene commander on the way out from the UK at a collision with two sjips. By the time we got there there was nothing left of the s,aller one. She'd gone down. I went out with Neil in the RIB when we came across an upturned liferaft - no-one ionside. I believe that the Master at that time - George Bowie - got a mention in Lloyds for his actions.

Jonty
Old 13th September 2010, 14:46

Thanks for concern this is first time i have tuned in still undergoing refit due to farther damage caused in drydock.Pipework still broaken and waiting for a slot to get job finished.Hope it will take no longer than a couple of months more .
Thats funny was speaking to somone about woking i couldent remember where the office was ,Thanks for that spooky or what hee hee
Old 10th January 2011, 23:16
Active: 1977 - 2010

alistair ross

just come across the site i was with oil from 1977 to the 80s remember alot of the names mentioned was on the mexico run the mariner in the falklands challenger, hustler, explorer,endeavor, driller.sombody mentioned margret kilpatrick from the office an outstanding lady.does anyone remember captain stewart ross of the endevour.another lad was big andy from newport fife. good site will keep looking
Old 31st March 2011, 12:33

hi ozzie I was at Sunderland Greenwells Yard when she was converted Mal Egeland was the old manwas there for 3 weeks I was the cookdid 2 trips on 2 too many.Bguyan
Old 31st March 2011, 14:07

Do any of you Lad's remember an ex American Navy wartime built Patrol Craft type working the North Sea in the early day's doing Seismic Survey's, typical curved American style Wheelhouse, G.M's in her I believe, fairly narrow gutted and very fine on the Bow? Regard's

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 31st March 2011 at 14:16.. Reason: additional
Old 1st April 2011, 09:45

Could be one of the two ex Minesweepers (American built) named BJ Islander and VA Islander ? see thread........ https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=37297 A good picture can be found in Vic Gibsons book 'The History of the supply ship' also this picture taken from the Hewitt A by a friend of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Islander-1.jpg (32.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Nick Balls; 1st April 2011 at 10:04..
Old 1st April 2011, 10:18
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1970 - 1993

historical movies

http://www.dredgemovies.com/historic...ge_movies.html

guys have a look at these great dredgemovies site, full of old dredger movies
Old 1st April 2011, 14:03

Thank's Nick for your time and info however, the vessel I am thinking of was flush decked although with quite a slope from Bow to Stern, quite a racy looking thing, the wheelhouse window's were circular and I think the Hull was steel. She was involved in the very early day's of North Sea Oil doing the Survey's. The problem I have is that I have very little on old American Warship's to give a pointer barring for that she looked like an ex Patrol Craft possibly due to the way she looked.
Steveop, looking at the working steam dredger and judging by her overboard discharge she has an old Weir's type pump on her circulating water system. Is that correct?

Last edited by chadburn; 1st April 2011 at 14:10..
Old 1st April 2011, 15:53

OK Chief keep your hair on...........could this be the animal.......this picture would be around 1969
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NB-GY-Tug.jpg (45.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 1st April 2011, 23:03

No unfortunatly not Nick and many thank's again, at the time I would presume that a lot of the survey work may have been done by the experienced American companies with their own vessel's, I will have to get hold of a book on small American Warship's to see if I can pick up the Class of vessel as a pointer. But keep posting please if you find anything else as the vessel's you have posted are interesting in themselve's.

Old 18th November 2011, 22:18
Department: Engineering
Active: 1951 - 2006

was c/e with John Gegan on Oil Hunter 75 Brian Kay was mate I then moved to Oil Disco with Ted Ling & John Rankin ,very good bunch of guy's , there were more anchors and pelican hooks on the floor in the |Unicorn to moor out the entire fleet of the north sea,great crak,and jimmy Kidd would keep us all streigt
I'm well retired now ,and rememberit all with a smile Tom.d
Old 25th November 2011, 20:27

remember a time bently alan brown and myself were railroaded to take the laid up oil explorer out of chattam to nigeria to boost their fleet. after weeks trying to get the boat dried out and the electrick to be able to switch on without setting the boat on fire .we made it out of the medway and went to rotterdam
to load a sbm slewing bearing for bonney.we had anigerian crew and the cook had been aboot black at a london hotel .so mike ben being his usual arrogant self i know it all. ordered a few large gambas for th trip ,it turned out to be a teachest full and i think there were ciouple of hundred fillet steak as well,as we were going to cook for ourselves we left the booblack to feed the deck crew.
we endede , up having a ball, bar a few breakdown on th way
Old 7th December 2011, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkneyman View Post
Pretty sure this is the same Ross McDonald, i am sure he was with Swires as well, i did meet his brother Alex some years ago on a Farstad vessel in Aberdeen. Ross lived in Tain and Alex i am sure was married in Gt Yarmouth.
Alex was married in Gt.Yarmouth,we were at his reception , he married Janet from Halcyon the agents.I was chief on the Trader at the time Davy Scott was the skipper.agreat time was had by one and all.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:34
Active: 1970 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.d View Post
Alex was married in Gt.Yarmouth,we were at his reception , he married Janet from Halcyon the agents.I was chief on the Trader at the time Davy Scott was the skipper.agreat time was had by one and all.
Tom,

How is your finger????

Tony
Old 12th March 2012, 21:57
Active: 1968 - 2010

My location
I have created a group on Facebook called Ocean Inchcape (OIL). i have added a number of photographs and will be adding more when i get the chance, i would like to get as many members on board and please feel free to add photos or comments, If we can get a good number on board ideally i would like to see if we could arrange a get together sometime.

Thanks
Alan
Old 12th March 2012, 23:16
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
See u in Hamburg
Old 12th April 2012, 15:46

Talking Oil

I worked for OIL initially on the Explorer and Supplier out of Dundee, cook on Explorer was Tommy Wastle ex para from the northwest of England, someone sabotaged his tab nabs with Barites, I believe Sandy McConachie who is sadly no longer with us was blamed.Others I remember from the ships I worked on were, Stan Allardyce 2nd engineer, Barnsley Bill who could quote train timetables verbatin,John Murt skipper.The wise men from the east on the Harrier, Cecil,Lou Harrison Batty-Syme the Chief,Crowbar Crawford who I last saw taxi driving in Aberdeen, Wullie Riddoch the cook and Jimmy Agnew. On the Hustler worked with the Flying Flynn in Baz Unite's team and Peddle Bin in Ronnie's gang. Also worked on Mariner and Hunter.
After a spell deep sea went back and collected the Champion from Fredrickshaven, Danny McGregor skipper and filthy Phil the Chief.
Big Alec Gaul from Dundee was the motorman reputed to be the noisiest man in the North Sea and Big Mick Quinn was the chef and a first class cook he was like most of the guys who slaved to keep us fed and watered. Others on deck were Lenny Fraser, Davie Robbo George Shearer and myself.Dougie Mathews came as skipper latterly I had worked with him on the Mariner, another gentleman.
Happy days a thousand laughs at the antics of Wullie Bruce and George Saxton, hard men doing a tough dangerous job especilly in the early days with the mark 1's and pelican hooks etc no wonder we have all got atheritis we used to spend hours soaking and cold?? c'mon guys swing the lamp
Old 14th April 2012, 16:14

I too spent some years with OIL reckon Orkneyman could be Alan Marwick who joined Champion with us in Fredrickshaven as AB went on to greater things.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:15
Active: 1957 - 1965

patrol craft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Do any of you Lad's remember an ex American Navy wartime built Patrol Craft type working the North Sea in the early day's doing Seismic Survey's, typical curved American style Wheelhouse, G.M's in her I believe, fairly narrow gutted and very fine on the Bow? Regard's
Yes I remember that boat. An English ex navy officer bought it and tried to start his own business. It nearly sank in Lerwick harbour when they all went ashore and an engine room pipe leaked. The fire engine came down and pumped it out. Later I helped theengineer fix the fuel pump drive on the only generator that had been running. Don't know what happened to it after that. That was 40 years ago.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraigmor View Post
That site is down - pity. It had most the offshore boats - and all of OIL's apart from the 'Endeavour.m which I cannot find a picture of at all!
Hi DD
I have a photo of the Endeavour on my wall,we did the RN charter out to Suez.
Cal
Old 31st July 2012, 23:58
Department: Navigation
Active: 1961 - Present

The first supply boats I worked on belonged to Borneo Straits Offshore based in Singapore. This was a subsidiary of Straits Steam, also of Singapore. This in turn was part of the Ocean Fleets group (Alfred Holts), as was OIL I believe. BSO had 4 small boats, all the same design with names like Java Gold, Borneo Gold etc. I understand OIL took them over. I joined the company in the early 70's, and really enjoyed my time there. Four months on and two off. That was pretty good at the time. Was anyone else part of this company...and if they were do they have any half decent photos of any of the boats.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:14
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calsatch View Post
Hi DD
I have a photo of the Endeavour on my wall,we did the RN charter out to Suez.
Cal

I was part of the RN detachment to OIL ENDEAVOUR in the Mediterranean, March - July 1984, left her prior to the ship moving down to Suez. Do you or anyone else know when the RN charter to Suez was completed?

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 14th October 2012, 21:08

Oil Endeavour

Will have to find and consult my discharge book...that should tell us but I'm pretty busy over the next week, I also have a mug for N.P.1015
which will help.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:32
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Thanks, Calsatch. I never got a mug.
Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”