Seaforth Maritime Ltd - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Seaforth Maritime Ltd

User Tag List

Old 26th September 2011, 09:40
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Why?, Peter was a excellent shipmate and a very professional ships master and one of the better ship handlers in the North Sea, so they say.

Ray
Old 26th September 2011, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Peter was with Denhoms.Then Offshore with Seaforth - Farstad - Sealion.
Peter was Senior Apprentice on Crinan when I was there in 1964. He was with I.O.S. prior to Seaforth as were a few other guys in Seaforth's early days.
Still in touch with him.
Donald Campbell
Old 5th December 2011, 16:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMARINE View Post
Peter was Senior Apprentice on Crinan when I was there in 1964. He was with I.O.S. prior to Seaforth as were a few other guys in Seaforth's early days.
Still in touch with him.
Donald Campbell
I haven't seen Peter for a long time though he lives near me.

I too joined Seaforth from I.O.S.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:11
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1963 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMARINE View Post
Joined Seaforth Conqueror as Mate in February 1979 - Jake Kerr (Dundee) as Master. Big difference from Oil Exploer - 2 workwires and the deck wasn't awash just steaming. Also on Seaforth Jarl (twice), Commander, Laird and Highlander. Took Seaforth Jarl to St. Johns with Mike Smith as Master - he was relieved by Willie MacLeod on arrival but the 2nd Engineer and I had to remain on board for about 10 days to hand over to the Canadian crew.
Other Masters I sailed with - Mike Reed, Peter Bloomer, John de Barr, Derek Storey, Carl Terry, Ken Maxwell, Mike Elder and John Leask.
Donald Campbell
Sailed with a number of the guys mentioned, with P.Bloomer (as mate) Toisa Conqueror , Donald Cambel, Karl Terry, I was mate of the Conqueror when she was sold to Boa from Toisa and transferred across with her.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:45
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd9628 View Post
Sailed with a number of the guys mentioned, with P.Bloomer (as mate) Toisa Conqueror , Donald Cambel, Karl Terry, I was mate of the Conqueror when she was sold to Boa from Toisa and transferred across with her.
Sailed with Peter when he fist joined Toisa from Farstad, another skipper was also called Peter, he later died of a heart attack.

Ray
Old 13th April 2012, 05:32
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Worked on deck with Seaforth Maritime form 16-5-79 until 4-12-1985.

Ships sailed on and their skippers in no particular order.

Seaforth Highlander with Ron Duncan many trips, also Jimmy Johnstone and John D Burr as skipper on her. Seaforth Victor with Barry Hesketh, Seaforth Cape with Peter Bloomer, Seaforth Warrior with Peter Coull (daddy as he was affectionally known), Seaforth Laird with Brian Smith and Mike Elder as skippers, Seaforth Viscount with Jake Kerr, Seaforth Minara with Mike Elder, Seaforth Crusader with Ron Duncan and Brian Smith, Seaforth Prince with Rushbrook (forget his first name), Seaforth Centurion, Seaforth Conqueror with Jake Kerr and Peter Coull many trips.

Best trip had to be Flying to Pusan in South Korea and taking the newly built Crusader back to Aberdeen, great times.

Left Seaforth and joined BUE shipping in Leith, big mistake.

Best Regards
Conrad
Peter Coull bought my house with his wife Anne and turned it into a pub/resturant when I got married and came to live in the states. Peter and his brothers were all good guys. We called him the Admiral
and that's what they called the pub. The flasher John Templeton Knight was big Buddies with "Crazy" John Bogie Knight. Does anyone
know what happened to them? Bogie aways imagined himself as a tough guy and I twice offered him out on the jetty in Aberdeen but he refused and I started calling him "Chicken Bogie".
Old 13th April 2012, 17:04

I was mate with a John"Bogie"Knight on a supply boat in the Middle East. In fact I got his job as skipper when he got fired after some altercation with the office and clients. He told me he was skipper on an Offshore Marine vessel when it pulled a crane off a platform in the North Sea. He said the mate was on the bridge at the time whilst he was searching his cabin for a 'Lloyds Open Form' as they were about to proceed for a salvage job. We kept in touch for a while and I believe he bought a 'Bed and Breakfast' somewhere on the South Coast. He was certainly a character that's for sure, this would be around 1980.
Old 13th April 2012, 18:17

steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
I was mate with a John"Bogie"Knight on a supply boat in the Middle East. In fact I got his job as skipper when he got fired after some altercation with the office and clients. He told me he was skipper on an Offshore Marine vessel when it pulled a crane off a platform in the North Sea. He said the mate was on the bridge at the time whilst he was searching his cabin for a 'Lloyds Open Form' as they were about to proceed for a salvage job. We kept in touch for a while and I believe he bought a 'Bed and Breakfast' somewhere on the South Coast. He was certainly a character that's for sure, this would be around 1980.
The Mercia Shore I believe was the one that pulled down the crane.
That would have been a Fawlty Towers situation if Bogie had to run a
[email protected] That he got fired again doesn't surprise me. What company did
you for in the middle east? I spent a lot of time in Sharjah and Dubai.
Old 13th April 2012, 19:58
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Peter Coull bought my house with his wife Anne and turned it into a pub/resturant when I got married and came to live in the states. Peter and his brothers were all good guys. We called him the Admiral
and that's what they called the pub. The flasher John Templeton Knight was big Buddies with "Crazy" John Bogie Knight. Does anyone
know what happened to them? Bogie aways imagined himself as a tough guy and I twice offered him out on the jetty in Aberdeen but he refused and I started calling him "Chicken Bogie".
Must have been in the Argo Lounge then or Peep Peeps or was it the Fiddich Bar ??? To name but a few .
Old 14th April 2012, 09:50
Catering 1958 - 2007

I was also on Crusader, when Seaforth took over the management, Peter Marshall was master, Allan Steel marine super and Bill Hopkins? manager I think that's his name.

Ray

Last edited by Ray Mac; 14th April 2012 at 09:56..
Old 14th April 2012, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The Mercia Shore I believe was the one that pulled down the crane.
That would have been a Fawlty Towers situation if Bogie had to run a
[email protected] That he got fired again doesn't surprise me. What company did
you for in the middle east? I spent a lot of time in Sharjah and Dubai.
The company was QNNTC (Qatar). There were quite a few Brits working for them at that time. The chief was ex OM Jimmy Macdonald from Glasgow and his back to back Billy Morgan from Great Yarmouth area.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:36

steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
The company was QNNTC (Qatar). There were quite a few Brits working for them at that time. The chief was ex OM Jimmy Macdonald from Glasgow and his back to back Billy Morgan from Great Yarmouth area.
To Ray @ Derek,
I can't for the life of me remember the pub but the boats were parked
across the street. The second time it happened he came onboard the Arctic Shore late at night and was making a lot of noise. I worked for Diamond Services in Sharjah in the Cementco Building. I remember
loading a rolling crane with about 40 wheels onto a barge and towing it to Doha. That was in 78. The manager was a nasty little man called Peter Hedges ex OM. I'm sure I remember Jimmy MacDonald too.
Old 18th May 2012, 21:05

does anyone know what happened to peter coull? I got in touch with a lady who still lives in the same little village but she doesn't know where he's at now.
steamship.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:23

Hi there all,
Thanks for all the replies I got on Peter Coull. Wow I like the guy but didn't know he was so popular. BUT, Why do so many people not want their names up?
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:49

I was on the Seaforth Warrior as a supernumerary on the first trip to St Johns to work offshore Labrador. My dad was Peter Gibson, one of the directors of Seaforth, who thought a trip was a way to start a maritime career. Awesome experience for a clueless young lad. The first master was Tim Shone, followed by Ray McCrohon. the Chief Engineer was David Smith.

Last edited by Xristi; 22nd April 2018 at 14:01..
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:02

Can anyone tell me with certainty who the partners were that established Seaforth Maritime.

I know Lyles had some involvement, perhaps later
Old 4th May 2019, 09:41
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Can anyone tell me with certainty who the partners were that established Seaforth Maritime.

Twinning Tea.
Old 4th May 2019, 15:40
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post

Hi BillH. Possibly one of the best companies I had been employed by. This from an article written in 1982.
The moving spirit behind the formation of Seaforth Maritime was Ian Noble it's chairman for the first five years. He was part of Noble Grossat, bankers in Edinburgh. In 1971 new licences were being issued for North Sea Exploration and he though Scottish companies should involved, after talks with the manager of a large exploration company he was advised to concentrate on the supply ship side as there would a large demand for them.
Ian Noble and his colleagues went off to consult Herbert Wilkinshaw of Lyle Shipping, who was all for it and that was the start of Seaforth Maritime.
Bill
Old 4th May 2019, 17:51
Active: 1969 - Present

I was on the Seaforth Commander from November 81 AS C/E untill June 83 when l went to Balder Offshore.Skippers in that time were Jimmy(Jump) Johnstone,Willy MacLeod,TimAtkinson,Noah Shephard.
l took over from Dave Smith and Neil Gardner in Mulgrave NS.Bill Petigrew was running things at the time.
I was on her the night the Ocean Ranger was lost and heard the last messages before the end.We were operating off Sable Isld standing by the Bow Drill 1at the time.
It was an eventful trip and the day l joined sailed strait away to salvage the Euro Princess that ran into the Eastern Bar off Sable.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:13

I was involved in the build of Hero, Challenger, Chieftain ( I think) early 70s at Drypool Engineering the md. of which was md. of Seaforth, possibility a Curtis or Triggs ?.
Bob
Old 6th May 2019, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Hi BillH. Possibly one of the best companies I had been employed by. This from an article written in 1982.
The moving spirit behind the formation of Seaforth Maritime was Ian Noble it's chairman for the first five years. He was part of Noble Grossat, bankers in Edinburgh. In 1971 new licences were being issued for North Sea Exploration and he though Scottish companies should involved, after talks with the manager of a large exploration company he was advised to concentrate on the supply ship side as there would a large demand for them.
Ian Noble and his colleagues went off to consult Herbert Wilkinshaw of Lyle Shipping, who was all for it and that was the start of Seaforth Maritime.
Bill
Many thanks Bill, a sensible answer and very much appreciated
Old 7th May 2019, 11:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1960

Hogarth were also involved, with Lyle they had become Scottish Ship Management and subsequently in 1972 they formed Seaforth Maritime Ltd Aberdeen.
This is taken from a small book titled Hogarth, a short history, By A.A. McAlister printed by the World Ship Society.
Davie
Old 7th May 2019, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie M View Post
Hogarth were also involved, with Lyle they had become Scottish Ship Management and subsequently in 1972 they formed Seaforth Maritime Ltd Aberdeen.
This is taken from a small book titled Hogarth, a short history, By A.A. McAlister printed by the World Ship Society.
Davie
Thanks Davie
Old 7th May 2019, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybobuk View Post
I was involved in the build of Hero, Challenger, Chieftain ( I think) early 70s at Drypool Engineering the md. of which was md. of Seaforth, possibility a Curtis or Triggs ?.
Bob
The only person I can recall was an Albert Whittles who came to Seaforth when the shipyard closed!
Old 7th May 2019, 20:29

#s 47,48. On the internet a history of Scottish Ship Management "Traid" with reference to Seaforth Maritime. This one I found but there are others. Page #8

https://scottishshipmanagement.org/files/triad024.pdf