Seaforth Maritime Ltd - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Seaforth Maritime Ltd

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 26th September 2011, 09:40
Ray Mac's Avatar
Ray Mac Ray Mac is offline  
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,444
Why?, Peter was a excellent shipmate and a very professional ships master and one of the better ship handlers in the North Sea, so they say.

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26th September 2011, 13:30
DCMARINE DCMARINE is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Peter was with Denhoms.Then Offshore with Seaforth - Farstad - Sealion.
Peter was Senior Apprentice on Crinan when I was there in 1964. He was with I.O.S. prior to Seaforth as were a few other guys in Seaforth's early days.
Still in touch with him.
Donald Campbell
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 5th December 2011, 16:14
captkenn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
My location
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMARINE View Post
Peter was Senior Apprentice on Crinan when I was there in 1964. He was with I.O.S. prior to Seaforth as were a few other guys in Seaforth's early days.
Still in touch with him.
Donald Campbell
I haven't seen Peter for a long time though he lives near me.

I too joined Seaforth from I.O.S.
__________________
Cheers -- from Ken in the NE of England.
.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10th December 2011, 09:11
jd9628's Avatar
jd9628 jd9628 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1963 - 2007
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMARINE View Post
Joined Seaforth Conqueror as Mate in February 1979 - Jake Kerr (Dundee) as Master. Big difference from Oil Exploer - 2 workwires and the deck wasn't awash just steaming. Also on Seaforth Jarl (twice), Commander, Laird and Highlander. Took Seaforth Jarl to St. Johns with Mike Smith as Master - he was relieved by Willie MacLeod on arrival but the 2nd Engineer and I had to remain on board for about 10 days to hand over to the Canadian crew.
Other Masters I sailed with - Mike Reed, Peter Bloomer, John de Barr, Derek Storey, Carl Terry, Ken Maxwell, Mike Elder and John Leask.
Donald Campbell
Sailed with a number of the guys mentioned, with P.Bloomer (as mate) Toisa Conqueror , Donald Cambel, Karl Terry, I was mate of the Conqueror when she was sold to Boa from Toisa and transferred across with her.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10th December 2011, 09:45
Ray Mac's Avatar
Ray Mac Ray Mac is offline  
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd9628 View Post
Sailed with a number of the guys mentioned, with P.Bloomer (as mate) Toisa Conqueror , Donald Cambel, Karl Terry, I was mate of the Conqueror when she was sold to Boa from Toisa and transferred across with her.
Sailed with Peter when he fist joined Toisa from Farstad, another skipper was also called Peter, he later died of a heart attack.

Ray
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 13th April 2012, 05:32
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Worked on deck with Seaforth Maritime form 16-5-79 until 4-12-1985.

Ships sailed on and their skippers in no particular order.

Seaforth Highlander with Ron Duncan many trips, also Jimmy Johnstone and John D Burr as skipper on her. Seaforth Victor with Barry Hesketh, Seaforth Cape with Peter Bloomer, Seaforth Warrior with Peter Coull (daddy as he was affectionally known), Seaforth Laird with Brian Smith and Mike Elder as skippers, Seaforth Viscount with Jake Kerr, Seaforth Minara with Mike Elder, Seaforth Crusader with Ron Duncan and Brian Smith, Seaforth Prince with Rushbrook (forget his first name), Seaforth Centurion, Seaforth Conqueror with Jake Kerr and Peter Coull many trips.

Best trip had to be Flying to Pusan in South Korea and taking the newly built Crusader back to Aberdeen, great times.

Left Seaforth and joined BUE shipping in Leith, big mistake.

Best Regards
Conrad
Peter Coull bought my house with his wife Anne and turned it into a pub/resturant when I got married and came to live in the states. Peter and his brothers were all good guys. We called him the Admiral
and that's what they called the pub. The flasher John Templeton Knight was big Buddies with "Crazy" John Bogie Knight. Does anyone
know what happened to them? Bogie aways imagined himself as a tough guy and I twice offered him out on the jetty in Aberdeen but he refused and I started calling him "Chicken Bogie".
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13th April 2012, 17:04
RayJordandpo's Avatar
RayJordandpo RayJordandpo is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,514
I was mate with a John"Bogie"Knight on a supply boat in the Middle East. In fact I got his job as skipper when he got fired after some altercation with the office and clients. He told me he was skipper on an Offshore Marine vessel when it pulled a crane off a platform in the North Sea. He said the mate was on the bridge at the time whilst he was searching his cabin for a 'Lloyds Open Form' as they were about to proceed for a salvage job. We kept in touch for a while and I believe he bought a 'Bed and Breakfast' somewhere on the South Coast. He was certainly a character that's for sure, this would be around 1980.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 13th April 2012, 18:17
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
I was mate with a John"Bogie"Knight on a supply boat in the Middle East. In fact I got his job as skipper when he got fired after some altercation with the office and clients. He told me he was skipper on an Offshore Marine vessel when it pulled a crane off a platform in the North Sea. He said the mate was on the bridge at the time whilst he was searching his cabin for a 'Lloyds Open Form' as they were about to proceed for a salvage job. We kept in touch for a while and I believe he bought a 'Bed and Breakfast' somewhere on the South Coast. He was certainly a character that's for sure, this would be around 1980.
The Mercia Shore I believe was the one that pulled down the crane.
That would have been a Fawlty Towers situation if Bogie had to run a
[email protected] That he got fired again doesn't surprise me. What company did
you for in the middle east? I spent a lot of time in Sharjah and Dubai.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13th April 2012, 19:58
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
My location
Posts: 7,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Peter Coull bought my house with his wife Anne and turned it into a pub/resturant when I got married and came to live in the states. Peter and his brothers were all good guys. We called him the Admiral
and that's what they called the pub. The flasher John Templeton Knight was big Buddies with "Crazy" John Bogie Knight. Does anyone
know what happened to them? Bogie aways imagined himself as a tough guy and I twice offered him out on the jetty in Aberdeen but he refused and I started calling him "Chicken Bogie".
Must have been in the Argo Lounge then or Peep Peeps or was it the Fiddich Bar ??? To name but a few .
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 14th April 2012, 09:50
Ray Mac's Avatar
Ray Mac Ray Mac is offline  
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,444
I was also on Crusader, when Seaforth took over the management, Peter Marshall was master, Allan Steel marine super and Bill Hopkins? manager I think that's his name.

Ray

Last edited by Ray Mac; 14th April 2012 at 09:56..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14th April 2012, 10:30
RayJordandpo's Avatar
RayJordandpo RayJordandpo is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The Mercia Shore I believe was the one that pulled down the crane.
That would have been a Fawlty Towers situation if Bogie had to run a
[email protected] That he got fired again doesn't surprise me. What company did
you for in the middle east? I spent a lot of time in Sharjah and Dubai.
The company was QNNTC (Qatar). There were quite a few Brits working for them at that time. The chief was ex OM Jimmy Macdonald from Glasgow and his back to back Billy Morgan from Great Yarmouth area.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 14th April 2012, 20:36
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
steamship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
The company was QNNTC (Qatar). There were quite a few Brits working for them at that time. The chief was ex OM Jimmy Macdonald from Glasgow and his back to back Billy Morgan from Great Yarmouth area.
To Ray @ Derek,
I can't for the life of me remember the pub but the boats were parked
across the street. The second time it happened he came onboard the Arctic Shore late at night and was making a lot of noise. I worked for Diamond Services in Sharjah in the Cementco Building. I remember
loading a rolling crane with about 40 wheels onto a barge and towing it to Doha. That was in 78. The manager was a nasty little man called Peter Hedges ex OM. I'm sure I remember Jimmy MacDonald too.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18th May 2012, 21:05
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
does anyone know what happened to peter coull? I got in touch with a lady who still lives in the same little village but she doesn't know where he's at now.
steamship.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21st May 2012, 22:23
steamship steamship is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Hi there all,
Thanks for all the replies I got on Peter Coull. Wow I like the guy but didn't know he was so popular. BUT, Why do so many people not want their names up?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:49
Xristi Xristi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
I was on the Seaforth Warrior as a supernumerary on the first trip to St Johns to work offshore Labrador. My dad was Peter Gibson, one of the directors of Seaforth, who thought a trip was a way to start a maritime career. Awesome experience for a clueless young lad. The first master was Tim Shone, followed by Ray McCrohon. the Chief Engineer was David Smith.

Last edited by Xristi; 22nd April 2018 at 14:01..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:02
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,606
Can anyone tell me with certainty who the partners were that established Seaforth Maritime.

I know Lyles had some involvement, perhaps later
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 4th May 2019, 09:41
Ray Mac's Avatar
Ray Mac Ray Mac is offline  
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Can anyone tell me with certainty who the partners were that established Seaforth Maritime.

I know Lyles had some involvement, perhaps later
Twinning Tea.
__________________
Ray McCerery
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 4th May 2019, 15:40
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Can anyone tell me with certainty who the partners were that established Seaforth Maritime.

I know Lyles had some involvement, perhaps later
Hi BillH. Possibly one of the best companies I had been employed by. This from an article written in 1982.
The moving spirit behind the formation of Seaforth Maritime was Ian Noble it's chairman for the first five years. He was part of Noble Grossat, bankers in Edinburgh. In 1971 new licences were being issued for North Sea Exploration and he though Scottish companies should involved, after talks with the manager of a large exploration company he was advised to concentrate on the supply ship side as there would a large demand for them.
Ian Noble and his colleagues went off to consult Herbert Wilkinshaw of Lyle Shipping, who was all for it and that was the start of Seaforth Maritime.
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 4th May 2019, 17:51
funnelstays's Avatar
funnelstays funnelstays is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - Present
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 415
I was on the Seaforth Commander from November 81 AS C/E untill June 83 when l went to Balder Offshore.Skippers in that time were Jimmy(Jump) Johnstone,Willy MacLeod,TimAtkinson,Noah Shephard.
l took over from Dave Smith and Neil Gardner in Mulgrave NS.Bill Petigrew was running things at the time.
I was on her the night the Ocean Ranger was lost and heard the last messages before the end.We were operating off Sable Isld standing by the Bow Drill 1at the time.
It was an eventful trip and the day l joined sailed strait away to salvage the Euro Princess that ran into the Eastern Bar off Sable.
__________________



If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 5th May 2019, 10:13
saltybobuk saltybobuk is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 86
I was involved in the build of Hero, Challenger, Chieftain ( I think) early 70s at Drypool Engineering the md. of which was md. of Seaforth, possibility a Curtis or Triggs ?.
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 6th May 2019, 16:29
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Hi BillH. Possibly one of the best companies I had been employed by. This from an article written in 1982.
The moving spirit behind the formation of Seaforth Maritime was Ian Noble it's chairman for the first five years. He was part of Noble Grossat, bankers in Edinburgh. In 1971 new licences were being issued for North Sea Exploration and he though Scottish companies should involved, after talks with the manager of a large exploration company he was advised to concentrate on the supply ship side as there would a large demand for them.
Ian Noble and his colleagues went off to consult Herbert Wilkinshaw of Lyle Shipping, who was all for it and that was the start of Seaforth Maritime.
Bill
Many thanks Bill, a sensible answer and very much appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 7th May 2019, 11:11
Davie M Davie M is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1960
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,241
Hogarth were also involved, with Lyle they had become Scottish Ship Management and subsequently in 1972 they formed Seaforth Maritime Ltd Aberdeen.
This is taken from a small book titled Hogarth, a short history, By A.A. McAlister printed by the World Ship Society.
Davie
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 7th May 2019, 19:02
BillH BillH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie M View Post
Hogarth were also involved, with Lyle they had become Scottish Ship Management and subsequently in 1972 they formed Seaforth Maritime Ltd Aberdeen.
This is taken from a small book titled Hogarth, a short history, By A.A. McAlister printed by the World Ship Society.
Davie
Thanks Davie
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 7th May 2019, 20:21
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybobuk View Post
I was involved in the build of Hero, Challenger, Chieftain ( I think) early 70s at Drypool Engineering the md. of which was md. of Seaforth, possibility a Curtis or Triggs ?.
Bob
The only person I can recall was an Albert Whittles who came to Seaforth when the shipyard closed!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 7th May 2019, 20:29
Bill Morrison Bill Morrison is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 760
#s 47,48. On the internet a history of Scottish Ship Management "Traid" with reference to Seaforth Maritime. This one I found but there are others. Page #8

https://scottishshipmanagement.org/files/triad024.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Funnel Nostalgia Bill Davies Blue Funnel Line 722 12th February 2013 22:30
maritime and shiplovers' events 2009 piosta News and Views from the Shipping World 0 12th December 2008 20:55
Scarborough's Maritime Heritage Centre Scarborough Maritime Say Hello 8 9th December 2008 21:29
Crew Agreements Maritime History Archive Willie Mac Ship Research 10 29th April 2007 11:23
Chinese maritime exercise rushie News and Views from the Shipping World 0 23rd June 2006 12:16



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.