Steam, steam and more steam - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
00:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Steam, steam and more steam

User Tag List

Old 18th April 2008, 08:12

It's an old tale that you can go on any ship in the world and open the engine room door and shout "Hey Jock" and sure as hell you'll here "WHIT"
Old 31st July 2008, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I felt many a bottom end in my watch below,and yes you can get your hand slapped hard if you don't hold it right. We are talking about steam engines are we not.
John.
No one seems to mention the top end, if the centers of the crosshead had,nt been ragged after machining it cut circles[ usually in ones fingers] and for some unknow reason more oftern than not it was the index finger,I still have a faint scar from an above meeting.
Old 15th August 2008, 00:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Blythspirt.
Yours in an oxo tin too! Didn't get the tin from Renwick stores with a 1/2d bag of sherbet and a stick of liquorice did you?

Last edited by Ghost; 15th August 2008 at 00:34.. Reason: because bag does not have a d in it.
Old 15th August 2008, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thompson View Post
Greetings,

JoK mon brave, I suspect that Chief's handle the paper hemorrhage the same way that I did....with the contempt it deserved.

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"

The Chiefs I deal with are working until 22-2300 at night doing paperwork.
But, they change every 28 days, so they tag-team me. I get about 5 days breather on crew change week. The off going Chief is doing his end of shift paperwork, then the new guy has to get up speed. Always glad to see them sail.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:37

Re "feeling round bottom ends" (what a phrase that is in these PC days!)
The one thing we were always taught was when taking leads, adjusting clearances etc on the crankpin and using shims was to NEVER allow and shim to protrude out past the faces of the top and bottom end halves. This was a sue way of taking off the points of your fingers when feeling round.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:38

Hello;
Personally by the time I see the remains of a ship's steam engine it is boilers and wreckage usually covered in marine growth. How you guys could tolerate the heat and noise of the engine room ( espically in the tropics) is beyond me!! My uncle was an oiler in merchant ships during W W11 and it left him deaf as a post . Bluenoser
Old 27th August 2008, 20:46

Re.shims it was also a matter of good old fashioned "workmanship" not to leave shims pertruding, my favourite job on a triple expansion was setting up the "tumbler block" and the Stephenson reversing link guide shoes.

Re paperwork, like most Chief's I hated it but it had to be done and it does not appear to be any easier from what have I read above.

and finally bluenoser, what was that you said? deafness, asbestosis, plural plaques, but we all had some great times and went to some great places, we were also VERY SLIM down the Engineroom. Now all we hear is "you will have to lose some weight" from No1

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 28th August 2008, 23:12

Up& Downer

Hi I only sailed on one steam "up & downer" a Mobil tanker called SS Vacuum Pioneer, a rock dodger from Birkenhead , in the mid 60s. I remember keeping a respectful distance from the split pins when checking the crank temps, and being bollocked for making smoke in port when I changed the burners.