Windows 7 EOL date given. - Ships Nostalgia
19:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 7 EOL date given.

User Tag List

Old 26th January 2019, 11:58
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Windows 7 EOL date given.

For those,like me,still using the above programme you may be interested in the following received from PC Pitstop this morning:-

"Microsoft has released plans to end support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020.

What Does this Mean?
The end of life (EOL) of Windows 7 means Microsoft will no longer provide any security patches, software updates, or customer support to Windows 7 operating system (OS) users. Fortunately, users have plenty of time to update their systems to Windows 10. For many home users, updating to Windows 10 will not be a major issue. Businesses, however, may face larger complications.

As some may know, moving a business over to an entirely new operating systems may lead to major complications. This may be due to legacy systems that arenít compatible with Windows 10, training new employees on the new system, ensuring IT staff is available for the actual transition as well as the transition period, and the cost associated with all of the above. In addition, some of the recent Windows 10 updates have created more problems than benefits. This in itself has left businesses in no rush to migrate to this particular OS.

Unfortunately, there are few options available for these businesses running Windows 7.

Windows 7 User Options
Just because Microsoft is no longer supporting the OS, doesnít mean it will stop working. Therefore, users can continue running the OS, but at their own risk. The lack of support means security patches and updates will not be available. Therefore, all known security vulnerabilities that are typically patched by Microsoft, will be left exposed, creating a security risk.

If users opt to keep Windows 7, their best line of defense will be using an application whitelist as their primary method of malware detection. The whitelist will not patch the known security holes but will prevent all malicious executables from running on the device. Therefore, if a hacker attempts to exploit these known security gaps by installing malware ó the whitelist will not allow it to run, as it is not a known safe program.

The second option is for users to pay for extended Microsoft support. To determine the cost associated with this, users are encouraged to contact Microsoft directly.

Lastly, users can develop and implement a plan to transition their PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Even if this option is chosen, an application whitelist security solution should still be implemented to effectively thwart malware attacks and keep data and endpoints secure."

I did transfer to Windows 10 but managed to lose several hundred pictures,mainly my own artwork, so switched back...Bring back XL!

geoff
Old 26th January 2019, 12:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Couldn't agree more Geoff. XP was a stable and user friendly system. As for W10- well it has indeed caused more problems than benefits . I lost a lot of non important material from one almost new computer running W10 as installed.

Dell were very good but the problem was created by Microsoft. Dell had to arrange with MS a complete reinstall of all OS and MS Office Professional. Also had to re-install other non MS programmes at considerable time/expense.

On a positive note I do believe MS are acutely aware of how W10 has screwed up systems and damage to their reputation. Back everything up at least 3 times and be prepared for some grief when you upgrade.

BW

J
Old 26th January 2019, 13:26

Quote:
when you upgrade.
Probably won't upgrade!
geoff
Old 26th January 2019, 17:29
Department: Navigation

I have run W 10 since it settled down a bit and find it very good if you are firm with it. Don't let it shove stuff into the cloud, don't let any of it's silly Cortana nonsense and it seems to work well. Buy a Terrabyte + sized drive, who wants a cloud to look after your stuff.
Old 27th January 2019, 10:42
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
Probably won't upgrade!
geoff
I removed Win 7 from this computer and I have been running Linux for 5 months (daily) and so far I have not encountered any problems ...............

Frank
Old 27th January 2019, 11:15

Thanks Frank, that is an option I had not considered.

geoff
Old 27th January 2019, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
I removed Win 7 from this computer and I have been running Linux for 5 months (daily) and so far I have not encountered any problems ...............

Frank
Likewise Frank, I removed Windows about five years ago and replaced it with Linux. Never had a problem. I much prefer it, and honestly believe it's a much better system, but of course it's everyone to their own preferences.
Old 27th January 2019, 15:46

I have a spare mini notebook and I would like to try Linux, where would you start?

I am thinking of making a list of programs I use and tasks I want done, and then checking for a substitute on Linux, frankly I don't have many gaps (still working on it.)
Old 27th January 2019, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I have a spare mini notebook and I would like to try Linux, where would you start?

I am thinking of making a list of programs I use and tasks I want done, and then checking for a substitute on Linux, frankly I don't have many gaps (still working on it.)
I'm using Linux Ubuntu at the moment, I also use Linux Mate on my ancient Dell laptop.
Once you get into the system you'll find it has it's own softwear centre that you can browse and decide what is right for you. Firefox is the default browser with Ubuntu, but I'm not a fan, so I downloaded Chromium. You'll also get Libre Office Writer automatically which is an excellent programme. There's also A Tweaks programme that allows you to do just that e.g. icon sizes, hidden icons etc. There are dozens if not hundreds of programmes to choose from, and all are free, although one or two might ask for a small donation.
I find Linux just so reliable and easy to use, I'd never go back to Windows.
P.S. How did our slide project work out, saw one or two you posted but nothing since,

Last edited by 173898; 27th January 2019 at 17:00..
Old 27th January 2019, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
P.S. How did our slide project work out, saw one or two you posted but nothing since,
Which one? I made a copier for 2.25 square slides and did all the ones I could find, that was made from a beer can. I also made one for 35 mm slides out of a modified slide copier for a screw thread Pentax, that worked well too. I then bought a Sliver Crest slide digitizer that plugs into the USB port and has some dedicated software and that was quite good, you can put film into it so you can do stuff quickly. One of the reasons for success with the first two was that I used a Nikon Coolpix 4500, a wonderful camera that has a fixed front with the lens moving behind it. I like them so much I have three, the only problem is that a condenser that maintains the voltage for the date/time seems to fail, put a new battery in and it spends most of it's charge trying to charge the damn thing up.

I like to have some project on the go, preferably one that needs careful thought rather than tinkering. I got some success with Geographical Information Systems using open source software, then the software updated and I am back somewhere down the line.

Linux working on the little portable would be useful for that kind of software. Thanks for your help, I will progress with what I currently know and what you have said and see what happens.
Old 29th January 2019, 08:33

My location
For those of you who are thinking of trying Linux, you can try it out by having Linux running along side Windows (duel boot) or from a memory stick and you only install it when you decide that you like the system, if you are only using your computer/laptop for browsing the internet I don't think that you will find a problem............

Cheers Frank
Old 1st February 2019, 06:11

i have used vista which i loved and been running on windows 7 for 5 years - have always been told that 7 will fall away at some point - i have bought windows 10 - but have not upgraded to it as yet - i do have a terabyte external drive for all my images - which is set to backlog every 7 days - so have all the systems in place - should i need to change
Old 1st February 2019, 10:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Just looked up the Linux OS and think I will download it. I notice they have several versions to chose from, any suggestions which one to use. It will be for my
laptop that has Win 7 on it, hardly use it but nice to have it if the Desk Top PC goes down.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Just looked up the Linux OS and think I will download it. I notice they have several versions to chose from, any suggestions which one to use. It will be for my
laptop that has Win 7 on it, hardly use it but nice to have it if the Desk Top PC goes down.
Try Ubuntu John, I loaded that into my old desk top pc, and it works just fine. You'll probably need to down load the "64 bit" version.
I really do like Linux, and have never had a problem in all the years I've been using it, and the bonus is, that if something should go wrong, you'll have the master disc or memory stick to re-install.
And as Frank suggests you can try it out before installing, running it alongside Windows.

Last edited by 173898; 1st February 2019 at 12:06..
Old 1st February 2019, 14:26

My location
Many thanks for your reply Harlequin, I will download the 64 bit version on a thumb drive and give it a test drive.
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:08

For anyone wishing to run a Windows based operating system but are fed up with Microsoft cancelling support and don't want to dip into Linux there's a free operating system in development called ReactOS which is based on the windows kernel but is totally free and legal as it was built from the ground up
At the moment it's still in stage Alpha stage but they hope to have it looking like and running Windows 7 by the end of the year
https://www.reactos.org/it
Old 4th February 2019, 02:21

I bought an Apple Mac desktop. Partitioned the hard drive with Boot Camp and installed Windows 10 in one half and have Apple OS Sierra in the other half. I'm in the progress of copying everything to Apple side. I already had a scare on W10 when i started up one morning and all my files and photos had vanished. I eventually found them in some obscure file. There is also the very annoying habit of W10 suddenly making albums for me and springing up the last pics I looked at. It is VERY annoying. As soon as I get up to speed wth Apple I'm never going back to Windows !
Old 8th February 2019, 16:59
Active: 1974 - 1981

I have a network of computers in our house. 3 of them are running Vista and 1 Windows 10. I have 5 or 6 other computers that are used on an ad hoc basis. They are all behind a firewall.

My protocol for pictures is this;-
1 down load from cameras
2 delete any really bad ones
3 separate photos into a separate folder for each day
4 rename in this format - sequential number and time they were taken
If I have photos from multiple cameras, do an intermediate step of renaming them by time taken, then sequential number and time. This arranges all my photos in chronological order without regard to which camera they were taken on. I use "Panda Batch File Renamer" to do all that. It's free download.
5 add descriptions after time if required.
6 edit in Photoshop if required.
7 copy entire folder to mirror drives (I mirror data onto two computers set up for this, one of which is only used as a data store).
8 delete photos from cameras.

Also to maintain security of data from computer crashes etc ALL my computers have a second physical drive to store data. Only the OS and programs are on my C drive, some programs will only save and access data on the C drive, I copy this data to the "E"drive". Periodically I burn all my photos to two DVDs one set is stored in our safe deposit box at the bank. That way I'll still have my photos if the house burns down. I have a 35mm scanner and am gradually getting my slides and negatives (about 35,000) onto digital media.

Hard drives come with exactly two guarantees, 1 they will hold the amount of data they claim and 2 they will fail.

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR DATA-STORE IT IN MULTIPLE PLACES.

Last edited by Victor J. Croasdale; 8th February 2019 at 18:26..
Old 8th February 2019, 18:13
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
That`s certainly `belt & braces`.
Old 8th February 2019, 18:24
Active: 1974 - 1981

... and a piece of string!

I was a Red Cross volunteer for hurricane Katrina in 2005, as part of that I interviewed a lot of evacuees. A lot of the victims' sadness revolved around the loss of sentimental items. My car can be replaced with money, my photos can't.

Last edited by Victor J. Croasdale; 8th February 2019 at 18:30..
Old 8th February 2019, 21:40

Today I managed to get Linux Mint to boot my little old notebook, like so many things, once you decide to do it and just steadily work away, it is not too difficult. I downloaded the 64 bit version, it wouldn't boot, the processor in the computer is an Intel Atom so 32 bit is needed. I will carry on with this, it looks very promising.
Old 9th February 2019, 02:51

My location
I did the same thing John, my old laptop is a 32 bit version so I went back and downloaded the 32 bit. Now I have to find out my next step. Let me know how you make out.
Old 9th February 2019, 08:46

...........whilst not a Luddite I do only have an oldish PC with Windows 7 and a Kindle..........
geoff
Old 9th February 2019, 11:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
...........whilst not a Luddite I do only have an oldish PC with Windows 7 and a Kindle..........
geoff
Geoff, you will find a Linux system 32/64 bit for PC, if you are unsure about your cpu speed a 32 bit system will run on both, but you will need to have a 64 bit cpu to run the 64 bit versions, I can not comment on the kindle as I don't have one.

I am using Mint and Ubuntu on two different laptops and both are running fine.

Cheers Frank

Last edited by Frank P; 9th February 2019 at 11:50..
Old 9th February 2019, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I did the same thing John, my old laptop is a 32 bit version so I went back and downloaded the 32 bit. Now I have to find out my next step. Let me know how you make out.
I promise I will tell you if I make a complete figgins of the job, right now I am emptying a 250Gig USB drive to scrape all the stuff I want from the soon-to-be Linux machine onto before I do anything irreversible. When it comes to files, I am a bit belt and braces.